Making Jewelry To Sell
Our Side Hustles Breakdown
We recommend making jewelry to sell as a side hustle for its blend of creativity and profit potential. Crafting unique pieces can be fulfilling, with the added perk of potential financial returns. Key concern: Understanding trends and market demands is crucial.
- Competitive Market: Many artisans are selling jewelry, making it important to distinguish your brand.
- Initial Investment: Quality materials can be expensive.
- Time-Consuming: Especially intricate designs can take time to craft.
- Creative Outlet: Crafting jewelry allows you to express your creativity and unique design ideas.
- High Profit Potential: Unique and high-quality pieces can fetch good prices.
- Scalable Business: As demand grows, you can scale up, attend craft fairs, or even open an online store.
Do you have a passion for turning precious metals and recycled materials into handmade jewelry?
This can actually be an excellent side gig to consider, as the handmade products and jewelry business is now thriving.
This guide will walk you through a brief overview of making jewelry to sell as a side hustle and how much starting an online jewelry business can earn you!
An Overview of Making Jewelry to Sell: A Primer
Making jewelry is a highly rewarding hobby. Yet, it also has the potential to turn into a highly profitable business if you’re committed to what you do.
Making and selling jewelry is a basic skill that you can also learn with time. It’s also a relatively low-cost investment, which makes it perfect for those with small investment capital to set aside.
To get started, you only need to buy some basic jewelry-making supplies and materials to turn into jewelry.
After that, you’ll need to find out more about the trends in the jewelry market and design items that match these trends with a personal touch to stand out.
Once you made enough starting stock, you can sell them online or in various physical locations for a decent profit.
How Much Can Making Jewelry to Sell Earn You?
A jewelry maker can make as little as $200-$300 and up to $84,000 per year. This is because selling handmade products like jewelry depends on a variety of factors.
For instance, the more professional-looking and unique a piece of jewelry is, the higher the markup you can sell it for.
Additionally, if you’re selling jewelry pieces online, you’ll need to work on various aspects besides your jewelry designs.
These include your content marketing strategy, providing a proper product description, and utilizing social media platforms to increase your traffic. This is also necessary to build an active customer base and reach your target audience.
How Much Does it Much Does it Cost to Start a Side Hustle Making Jewelry to Sell?
You can start a jewelry-making side hustle at a wide range of budgets. However, the type of jewelry you use and the tools you’ll need will have the main impact on your costs.
For instance, if you plan on making simple jewelry using basic tools and supplies, it can cost you as little as $200 to $500 to get started.
However, if you plan on making elaborate jewelry like wedding rings, you’ll typically need extra money to buy the materials and special tools necessary for the job. In that case, starting your business might need around $1,000 to $1,500.
Of course, you should also factor in additional investments, such as any marketplace fees, material shipping costs, marketing and advertising, etc.
Where Can You Sell Jewelry That You’ve Made?
One of the best things about this gig is that there are tons of places to sell jewelry. The first and most profitable method here would be selling them individually.
You can do this in a variety of ways. First, you can establish your own store or sell your jewelry in a monthly yard sale.
You can also pitch your products at art fairs and festivals. Alternatively, you can sell jewelry online by starting your own website or social media store.
The problem with the previous methods is that they can take a lot of effort and time to start building a loyal customer base.
If you’re looking for a faster way to make money selling jewelry, you should consider the following options instead:
- Sell to local shops for a discounted price.
- Post your products on an online marketplace.
- Sell to a consignment and get paid when they’re sold.
Why You Should Consider Making Jewelry to Sell As a Side Hustle
Here’s a quick look at some of the top advantages of making jewelry to sell as a side gig:
- High Profitability: While there are many things to make and sell, jewelry offers one of the highest profitability margins. This is because you can put a high markup on your items if they professional-looking and unique enough.
- Low Startup Costs: Many side gigs require a hefty initial investment. This puts a lot of risk on the overall gig. Luckily, this isn’t the case for jewelry. You can start with a remarkably small capital and work your way up.
- Fairly Easy Gig: Making jewelry is an enjoyable hobby for many. But even if you have no experience in making jewelry, there are plenty of guides that show you how to do it masterfully.
Problems With Making Jewelry to Sell As a Side Hustle
Like other gigs, there’s always a catch. Here are some of the drawbacks of selling handmade jewelry as a side hustle:
- Time Commitment: Making jewelry is time-consuming, especially if you want to create high-quality designs that stand out. For that reason, you must have plenty of free time for it.
- High Competition: Many people are making jewelry to sell out there, thanks to handmade products’ profitability. Higher competition means lower chances of selling, and therefore, lower profit.
- Keeping Up with Audience: If you want to go independent, you’ll need to keep up with your audience and customer base. This includes customer support and posting content to keep them engaged.
Frequently Asked Questions
What DIY Jewelry Sells the Most?
The most in-trend handmade jewelry nowadays are beaded anklets, minimalist necklaces, woven bangles, and customizable charm bracelets. Additionally, custom jewelry that uses gemstones is becoming quite popular.
Is Making Jewelry to Sell a Good Side Hustle?
Making jewelry to sell is an excellent gig if you have the experience and passion necessary for the job.
But like other side hustles, you’ll need to factor in various factors of success to make it into this field. These include the quality of your items, how you market your products, customer/audience handling, competition, etc.