Industries > Tasks
The Complete Guide to the Making Money in the Task Industry
Do you enjoy cleaning? What about laundry? Can you put together IKEA furniture? If so, you could make money off those skills.
In the gig economy, there are jobs for anyone who can do basic tasks like cleaning, yard work, and even furniture assembly.
Apps like TaskRabbit, Handy, and YourMechanic allow hardworking gig workers to find freelance gigs.
Whether it’s moving, grocery shopping, or doing oil changes, someone will pay you to handle the job.
Forget about working with a boss hovering over your shoulder. You’re your own boss, now!
If you’re interested in learning more about how the new task industry works and how to make a profit in it, this is the resource for you.
On this page, we’ll discuss how task apps work, how much money you can make, and how to sign up. We’ll also include a ton of valuable links to more in-depth guides to help you along your way.
About the New Task Industry
Here’s a rundown of the companies that are disrupting the task industry and creating jobs for gig workers.
When we talk about “tasks,” we’re talking about miscellaneous chores – things like racking the leaves, packing up items to move, or cleaning the kitchen.
It even includes tasks that require specialized skills like car repair or computer assembly.
And, if you’re a business owner, you can even hire temporary workers to fill in during a busy shift.
Getting Stuff Done in the 21st Century
There’s a wide range of companies behind the gig-based task industry. They may focus on different services, but they all do the same thing: connect freelance contractors with customers who need them.
Some of the most popular task platforms include:
- TaskRabbit: TaskRabbit allows individuals to hire an independent contractor for almost everything. From shopping to yard work, house-cleaning to heavy-lifting, TaskRabbit covers it all.
- Handy: Think of Handy as a place to find an on-call handyman. This platform specializes in housework like cleaning, organizing, mounting shelves, etc. They also specialize in furniture assembly and have a contractor division that handles bigger jobs like home renovations.
- YourMechanic: This is a network of freelance auto mechanics. If you can fix a transmission or even change a tire, you can earn some cash by signing up with this service. Since this is one of the more specialized skills in the task industry, contractors are paid a premium.
- Upwork: Companies and individuals use UpWork to hire remote workers for technical tasks like web development, graphic design, editing, and even more. UpWork is perfect for anyone with a specialized skill who wants to work from home.
- Shiftgig: ShiftGig allows businesses to hire on-demand employees for individual shifts. The majority of gigs are in the hospitality industry (things like catering and waiting tables), but they are also gigs for people who specialize in event marketing (things like promoting a product at a festival).
All of these platforms offer gig workers the opportunity to make money on their own terms.
In the new task industry, workers decide when, where, and how they want to work.
How Much Money Can You Make?
No one wants to work for free. Here’s how much money you can make in the task industry as a gigworker.
The gig economy is like the Wild West: unruly and unpredictable. There’s no real way to estimate how much you can make, especially early on in your career.
Some task-workers only make $5 per hour doing things like grocery deliveries. But other folks earn as much as $80 per hour. According to TaskRabbit, roughly 10% to 15% of contractors on the platform earn $6k to $7k per month!
Making Money on TaskRabbit on Other Gig Platforms
Every platform is different; they all have unique business models and determine the pay rate in different ways.
Here’s how much workers can make on each of the major task platforms:
- TaskRabbit: On TaskRabbit (and most of the other platforms), contractors set their own rates. The company offers suggestions depending on the type of work. For example, they recommend a $25 starting rate for people who do yard work. But, you’re free to increase or decrease it as you see fit.
- Handy: Handy cleaners make between $15 and $22 per hour. And unlike TaskRabbit, the company sets the rates. Pay increases for experienced workers and those who work during high-demand periods.
- YourMechanic: YourMechanic pay ranges from $40 to $50 per hour. However, this rate depends entirely on the services performed. Changing a tire won’t pay nearly as well as fixing a transmission.
- Upwork: This platform has the most extensive income range among contractors. Some workers offer transcription services for as little as $5 per hour. But, there are also marketing experts and designers who make upwards of $500 per hour on the site. The most specialized and rare your talent, the more you can charge.
- Shiftgig: Shiftgig sets different rates for different jobs. For example, warehouse workers make a little less than $10 per hour while brand ambassadors earn almost $20.
Ultimately, income depends on which platform you work for, which type of job you do, and how much you work. If you have a particular skill, you can make a lot of money. If you’re performing basic duties that most people can do, you’ll have to work a lot of hours to make a decent living.
But no matter the job, one thing is clear: If you wake up hustle every day, you’ll earn far more than those who treat it like a part-time job.
12 Side Jobs That Will Help You Meet Your Financial Goals.
” How to Become a TaskRabbit Tasker. “
51 Side Hustles So You Can Make More Money.
” Best Work-From-Home Jobs: How to Land Your Next Remote Gig. “
Here’s what it takes to work in the task industry.
It’s relatively easy to get a job with a task platform.
These companies depend on new workers to meet growing demands, so they’re eager to hire.
However, you can’t just sign up and start taking tasks right away. Each platform has a few specific requirements you must meet first.
What Do I Need to Make Money as a Task Worker?
While each platform has its own hiring guidelines, they all share a few basic requirements. Here are the minimum criteria you must meet in order to work for one of these platforms:
- Be at least 18 years old: 18 is the minimum employee age for all task platforms. Some require older employees. For example, you can work for YourMechanic, Handy, Upwork, and Shiftgig if you’re 18. But, you must be 21 years or older to work for TaskRabbit.
- Hold proper identification: To get a job as a task-worker, you must present valid identification to prove your age. Most companies also use your ID to run a background check before onboarding you as an employee.
- Be able to pass a background check: All task-based companies run background checks to ensure the safety and security of their customers. If you have any violent, sexual, or property crimes on your record, you won’t be able to work on one of these platforms.
- Have access to a phone or computer: These are all app-based services. You must have access to a digital device in order to find jobs and communicate with customers.
- Have a valid bank or PayPal account: These companies pay remotely. There’s no central location to pick up a paycheck. Thus, you must have a bank account or PayPal account where the company can deposit your checks.
- Have skills and be willing to work: You must be able to provide a service that the app offers. In other words, don’t sign up for YourMechanic if you’ve never lifted the hood of a car.
22 Work-From-Home Jobs: Work Online and Get Paid Weekly.
” Bellhops Worker Requirements. “
How to Become a TaskRabbit Tasker.
” How to Become a Handy Worker. “
Signing Up to be a Tasker
Ready to get to work? Here’s how to sign up.
Regardless of the company, it’s relatively easy to sign up and get started in the task industry.
Below, we’ve outlined the basic process so you know what to expect.
How Do I Become a Handy Pro or TaskRabbit Tasker?
Whether you’re applying to be a Handy Pro, a YourMechanic contractor, or a TaskRabbit Tasker, the process looks the same (for the most part).
Here’s how it works:
1. Sign up
Go to the company’s website and find the sign-up section on the homepage. Enter your information and create an account.
Here are the application pages for each company:
2. Consent to a background check
Before you finish your application, you’ll have to content to a background check. Check the box and move forward as instructed.
3. Wait for a response
The company should respond within a few days. At that point, they’ll instruct you on what to do next.
If you have any serious offenses on your record, your application may be disqualified at this point.
4. Complete your interview
Some platforms require an interview. If you want to get a job with YourMechanic, for example, you’ll do a phone interview. This is how the company knows that you’re equipped to handle the job.
5. Get to Work!
You’re ready to get started. At that point, you should download the app if you haven’t already. Start looking for jobs, taking gigs, and earning money!
How to Increase Earnings
Once you get a few tasks under your belt, it’s time to optimize your earnings.
You probably won’t make your first million dollars on TaskRabbit.
But, you can earn a few thousand bucks a week if you work hard enough.
It’s very difficult to earn $2,000 (or even $1,500) in a week simply by cleaning out people’s basements and dragging their laundry to the dry cleaner.
If you really want to rake in the big bucks, you must go above and beyond.
How to Make Money Money as a Task Worker
There are a few simple things you can to do boost your earnings in the task industry.
Here are a few tips:
1. Increase Your Rates (Slowly)
If the platform allows you to set your own rate, start at a modest price.
If you overcharge, people won’t hire you, especially if you’re new to the platform. You should prove that you’re worth $70 per hour before you set your rate that high.
You can prove this by completing tasks (and completing them well). As your rating increases and you get more reviews, you can increase your pay rate accordingly.
2. Stick to Your Skillset
It’s tempting to take on jobs outside your field of expertise. But if someone reaches out and says they’ll pay you $80 per hour to tend to their onion garden, say no (unless you’re an onion farmer).
As a gig worker, your rating is very important. By sticking to the things you know best, you’ll foster a strong reputation and earn more work over time.
3. Treat It Like a Full-Time Job
Set a schedule and stick to it. Don’t skip days just because you don’t have a boss breathing down your neck.
When it comes to gig work, hours are the name of the game. Whether it’s a side hustle or your full-time job, work as much as you can without burning out.
Task Promo Codes (For Taskers and Customers)
With a task promo code, you can make more money (if you’re a tasker), or save some money (if you’re a customer).
Everyone loves a discount. Luckily, there are a few task-related promo codes that can put some cash in your pocket.
TaskRabbit Promo Code (for Customers)
There are a few TaskRabbit promo codes that enable customers to get $10 off their bill. Here’s how you use them:
- Sign up for a TaskRabbit account (if you haven’t already).
- Find a Tasker that you want to hire.
- When you get to the “Confirm and Book” page, click the “Have a Promo Code?” link.
- Enter one of these codes into the box:
- SAVE10AFF: $10 off any order
- RMN10AFF: $10 off first order
- CHIEF10AFF: $10 off any order for new customers
- CATCH10AFF: $10 off any order for new customers
- TR10US: $10 off any order
- TR10NOVUS: $10 off any task in U.S. only
- Finalize your booking and voila!
TaskRabbit Referral Code (for Taskers)
If you get your friends to sign up and become Taskers, the company pays you!
Here’s what you should do:
- Get your friend to sign up as a Tasker.
- Once they complete their first Task, fill out this form.
Once you submit it, TaskRabbit will add $25 to your next payment.
Handy Pro Code (for Handy Pros)
Handy also pays you to refer your friends to the platform.
Here’s how it works:
- Sign up for Handy if you haven’t already.
- Go to the Free Bookings section of the site.
- Choose how you want to refer your friends (SMS, Email, or Facebook)
- Enter your friend’s contact info and click “Send”.
If your friend uses the code to sign up and book a reservation, you’ll receive credits in your account upon completion. If they sign up to become a Pro themselves, you’ll receive even more credits!