Making Body Scrubs to Sell
Our Side Hustles Breakdown
Body scrubs offer the promise of renewed skin, exfoliating away dead cells to reveal a radiant glow beneath. Crafting these scrubs merges the wisdom of skincare with the art of blending. As you dive into creating scents, textures, and formulations, you’re not just mixing ingredients but also laying the foundation for a brand that resonates and rewards.
- Product Shelf Life: Natural scrubs may have a limited shelf life, necessitating efficient stock management.
- Regulations and Compliance: Ensuring that products adhere to safety standards is crucial.
- Branding Challenges: Standing out in a market filled with skincare products demands strong differentiation.
- Growing Skincare Market: Body scrubs are increasing in demand with increased skincare awareness.
- Natural Appeal: Homemade or natural scrubs can cater to an eco-conscious audience.
- Low Start-Up Costs: Initial investments can be minimal, especially with limited ingredients.
You’re not alone if you’re looking for a side hustle to boost your income. Many people feel the same way.
Making body scrubs to sell is a great way to make some extra cash.
In this guide, we’ll give you all the information you need to start your body scrub side business.
An Overview of Making Body Scrubs to Sell: A Primer
At its core essence, making money is simple. You just need to find a product that people want, make it, and sell it to them.
In the case of body scrubs, the demand is definitely there. All you need to do is get the required ingredients, make high-quality salt scrubs or homemade sugar scrubs, and find a platform to market and sell your products.
How Much Can Making Body Scrubs to Sell Earn You?
The process of selling a product is the same no matter what product you’re selling. Your earning potential depends on how much it costs you to buy or make the product and how much you sell it for.
In the case of body scrubs, you can sell them for a lot more than they cost, especially if you position your brand as a high-end one.
As a result, you stand to make five or six figures annually if you have the right business plan.
How Much Does it Cost to Start a Side Hustle Making Body Scrubs to Sell?
The amount of startup capital you need to launch your small business making and selling body scrubs varies depending on several factors, such as your scale of operation, the ingredients you intend to use, and the platform you plan to sell on.
The costs you incur when starting the business include:
- Ingredients, such as white sugar, brown sugar, coffee grounds, vitamin E oil, cocoa butter, grape seed oil, sunflower oil, apricot oil, food coloring, etc.
- Legal requirement costs
- Packaging materials, such as glass jars and airtight containers
- Website setup
- Renting an office
- Staff salaries
Depending on which of these costs you end up taking on, your startup capital requirement is around $5,000 to $10,000.
Where Can You Sell Body Scrubs?
What good is making amazing body scrubs if you have no platform to sell them on?
To market and sell your products, you have two options. You can either sell them independently or through the websites/apps of e-commerce platforms.
Where to Independently Sell Body Scrubs
The traditional way to sell body scrubs independently is to spread the word through your neighbors, family, and friends. However, there’s only so much exposure you can gain doing so.
E-Commerce Platforms to Sell Body Scrubs
Here are some e-commerce platforms you can sell body scrubs and make stacks of cash on:
Facebook Marketplace is an excellent choice because it allows you to take advantage of the social media giant’s huge usership.
Posting to Craigslist is another solid choice. Make sure you provide a detailed description of your body scrubs and let potential customers know the exact ingredients you used.
You should also clarify the skin type the product is for. Is it for itchy skin, oily skin, dry skin, inflamed skin, or sensitive skin?
If you do so, the sales revenue will start pouring in.
Many people have created thriving businesses by carving out niches on Instagram, and there’s nothing stopping you from doing so too. Start an Instagram shop, present your products in an attractive way, and start raking in the cash.
Etsy is a great option to sell popular homemade items, and beauty products like body scrubs are no exception. List your body scrubs on Etsy with detailed descriptions and high-quality photos for the best results.
That said, you don’t get to keep all the proceeds because Etsy takes a 6.5% fee from every sale.
Etsy also allows your customers to wrap their purchases if they’re meant as holiday gifts for their loved ones.
Why You Should Consider Making Body Scrubs to Sell As a Side Hustle
There are several reasons why making body scrubs and selling them is a great idea to put some extra cash in your pockets. Here are some of them:
- Your costs of production will be low: Making body scrubs typically requires ingredients that don’t cost that much. As a result, your cost of production will be low. This allows you to have a high profit margin and net more income.
- Body scrubs are in high demand: If you make high-quality products, you’ll have no problem finding customers. You can also offer customization options in your product range for itchy skin, oily skin, and sensitive skin to widen your pool of potential customers.
- There’s a lot of growth potential: As your customer base grows, you can put the money back into your business and expand it. For example, you can hire employees to increase your production volume.
Problems With Making Body Scrubs to Sell
There are also some problems that arise when you make body scrubs to sell to boost your income. Here are some of these issues:
- The market is highly competitive: Due to the popularity of body scrubs, many other people will be running the same business as you. In turn, the competition will be fierce. To separate yourself from the pack, you’ll need to have superior and differentiated offerings.
- You need to know what you’re doing: You can make body scrubs using simple ingredients. However, you need to have experience and knowledge of the quantities and mixtures to use.
- There are legal requirements: Since people use body scrubs on their skin, they can potentially be health hazards. As a result, you need to satisfy some legal requirements before you can start making body scrubs to sell.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are a couple of questions that people commonly have about manufacturing body scrubs to sell for extra income:
Is there a market for body scrubs?
The market for body scrubs is a multi-billion dollar industry. These products are in high demand, and you can take advantage of that when running your homemade body scrub business.
You won’t be able to compete with market leaders like Body Shop, but you’ll have an edge in providing customers with a personal touch and customization options for different skin types.
What do you need to make body scrubs?
The ingredients you need to make a homemade body scrub depend on the type of scrub you wish to make. For example, you can make a sugar scrub with 1 cup of granulated sugar, 20 drops of fragrance oil, and ⅓ cup of coconut oil or almond oil.