Do you hate doing a dull 9-5 job?
Would you rather spend your days exploring the world?
You’re not alone!
Most people would rather travel than stay in an office and work, and it’s not as difficult to work and travel at the same time.
If you put coverage over comfort, you can easily enjoy your life and work while earning money.
Yes, you can get paid to travel!
There are several ways to make money while traveling, from picking up freelance gigs to teaching English abroad.
Let’s check out some options for making money while traveling!
- Can You Get Paid To Travel?
- What You’ll Need To Get Paid To Travel
- Where To Get Paid to Travel
- Why You Should Consider Traveling as a Side Hustle
- Problems With Traveling
- How To Get Paid To Travel: Step-By-Step Instructions
- Things To Consider When Traveling for Money
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Similar Ways To Get Paid
- Wrapping Up
Can You Get Paid To Travel?
You can explore the world while working thanks to gig work.
There are plenty of options, such as teaching English online or overseas, working with cruise ships, resorts, and hotels, getting a job at a spa, blogging, creating and running tours, and more.
According to a study by the US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the median wage for a travel guide was $15.96 per hour.
You can find other sources of income from affiliate commissions, digital product sales, public speaking engagements, and YouTube and Roku advertising.
Although these freelance jobs often require hard work and dedication, they can be very rewarding and allow you to explore the world while making a living.
What You’ll Need To Get Paid To Travel
You’ll need to consider a few things to ensure you prepare adequately.
Here’s a list of three essential items you’ll need to get paid to travel:
- A Marketable Skill: It’s vital to have some skill or knowledge that you can use to generate an income while traveling.
This could be anything from photography to web development, freelancing, teaching English, blogging, or writing.
- A Reliable Computer & Internet Access: Having a laptop or computer with reliable internet access is essential for most travelers who want to get paid to travel.
You’ll need to be able to work online, connect with people and businesses, and update your portfolio or website regularly.
- A Good Network: Make sure you actively engage with people online and attend industry events if possible.
This will help you find opportunities, build relationships, and increase your chances of success.
Where To Get Paid to Travel
Some travel jobs are more travel-centric than others.
There are plenty of ways to earn a living and tie travel together with it.
Here are some companies that make traveling their business.
Go Blue (Company)
One great way to earn money is by working with Go Blue Tours.
Go Blue Tours is a company that offers travel packages, mainly for spring break trips.
The company offers commissions based on sales, so the more you sell, the more you make.
They also offer bonuses for top performance and other financial incentives such as discounts and cashback.
You can find travel opportunities with sister/partner companies owned by Go Blue Tours, so there are many opportunities for variation and growth.
Go Blue Tours pays commissions in various ways.
They also provide their employees with benefits, such as health insurance, vacation time, and employee discounts.
- Typical Fees/Commissions: Varies based on position
- Typical Payment Methods: Check, direct deposit, Paypal
STS Travel (Company)
STS Travel is an approved travel agent specializing in services such as travel agents, car rental, tour operators, air ticketing agents, international air ticketing agents, tour packages, and car rental – Toyota Innova.
STS Travel allows you to earn cash and travel free by becoming an on-campus rep.
It offers one of the most generous compensation programs with unlimited earning potential.
They assign agents to student organizations and have them promote STS’s vacation packages.
How much you can make as an STS Travel rep depends on the number of student travelers you bring into the organization.
The more people you attract, the higher your commission payout will be.
This option is significant because the company pays you directly instead of going through a third party, and STS provides various travel options so you can offer something for everyone.
- Typical Fees/Commissions: 5-15% of sales
- Typical Payment Methods: Check or PayPal
JusCollege is an online platform that creates and organizes spring break trips.
The platform offers custom software solutions to help organizers save time and money finding commissions.
This is not a platform to earn money, but it makes traveling flexible and affordable.
JusCollege has a mobile application where students can view a daily schedule to plan meals, take advantage of the available attractions, and participate in events.
The company also uses the hashtag #juscollegecabo, and holds a daily contest for the best picture.
In addition, there are group chats for students so users can contact the support team quickly and easily.
Employees working for JusCollege enjoy free festival tickets and paid trips about twice a year and can travel.
- Typical Fees/Commissions: Varies depending on position; more likely to earn travel vouchers and free vacations than steady payment
- Typical Payment Methods: Direct Deposit
GradCity is the industry leader in student travel, having operated tours for over 300,000 students since its founding over 30 years ago.
They specialize in winter and summer Senior Trips for high school students.
For those interested in working for GradCity, they offer an opportunity to serve their customers by answering questions about their trips and helping resolve issues with their booking.
You can travel for free with Gradcity by organizing a trip of your own.
Perks are based on the number of people you get to sign up.
You would serve as the travel agent for your trip.
Additional benefits include MVP status and discounts on future travel plans through GradCity.
- Typical Fees/Commissions: Varies depending on position; perks include vouchers and free travel costs
- Typical Payment Methods: Travel vouchers, direct deposit
Contiki is a tour company that provides group travel experiences for young adults.
Founded in 1962 in New Zealand, Contiki has grown to offer trips in over 75 countries across the globe and offers travelers a mix of sightseeing, free time, culture, socializing, and adventure.
Contiki is an excellent option for solo travelers and is known for its lively parties and opportunities to make friends worldwide.
The company also uses expert guides to ensure travelers get the most out of their cultural experiences.
Contiki offers an attractive commission structure for travel agents up to 7.5%.
Agents are paid via direct deposit or check and can expect to receive payment after your sales clients have completed their travel.
Travel for free with Contiki as your sales increase.
Once you become a top seller, Contiki will give you free trips to various destinations over the globe.
You’ll have an affiliate link where you can send travelers to book through Contiki.
You’ll earn money with each sale.
- Typical Fees/Commissions: 5% commission per sale, free travel
- Typical Payment Methods: Direct deposit
Become a Travel Blogger (Side Hustle)
Travel blogging is an increasingly popular way of pursuing a career while exploring the world.
It is a great way to make a living while enjoying and experiencing different cultures, meeting new people, and having unique and memorable adventures.
How much money you can make from travel blogging depends on your blog’s success and your income streams.
It is possible to earn up to $30,000 per month from travel blogging, but this level of success will only come with dedicated hard work over time.
Income streams for travel bloggers typically include sponsored posts, sponsored trips, affiliate sales, sponsored social sharing, brand ambassadorships, ad revenue, and more.
- Typical Fees/Commissions: Varies depending on the job
- Typical Payment Methods: PayPal or bank transfer
Become a Consultant (Side Hustle)
Consultants typically work on a contractual basis, making it an ideal way to travel and earn money.
As a consultant, you provide advice to clients on a variety of topics.
This can range from management consulting to software consulting and beyond.
The amount you can make as a consultant will vary depending on the consulting you are doing, but it is generally well-paid.
One of the great things about becoming a consultant is the flexibility it offers.
You can create your schedule and take time off when needed.
You can also choose the type of client you want to work with and the rate you charge.
In terms of fees and commissions, it depends on the individual service provider.
Some consultants charge a flat fee for their services, while others charge by project or performance.
Solution-based fees are also standard.
You may be able to accept payment through free or fee-based platforms such as Invoicely, Freshbooks, and Due.
These platforms allow you to automate billing cycles, track and manage invoices, and run reports on earnings.
- Typical Fees/Commissions: Varies; you set your own!
- Typical Payment Methods: Varies; choose what works for you
Telecommute To Your Job (Career)
Telecommuting is an increasingly popular way to make money while traveling.
It involves carrying out work remotely with a company or self-employed.
You only need a computer and internet access.
The salary for telecommuting varies, and now that remote work is much more common than before, all types of careers are done through telecommuting.
This is an excellent opportunity for digital nomads as they can enjoy the freedom of travel while still earning money.
Many types of remote work are available, such as translations, data collection, graphic design, and more.
The amount you can earn will largely depend on your skills and the language you are working in.
You could even convert your existing job into a telecommuting role.
That’s a good way to alleviate any hatred of your full-time job.
- Typical Fees/Commissions: N/A
- Typical Payment Methods: N/A
Become a Flight Attendant (Career)
Becoming a flight attendant is one of the best ways to make money while traveling.
Not only do they get to explore new places, but they also get to experience different cultures and be part of an aviation crew.
Flight attendants are well-compensated and receive additional benefits such as free flights with their airline, discounted airfare, food expense reimbursement, and flexible schedules.
Flight attendants also get discounts on hospitality services like hotels, cruises, rental vehicles, and more.
Additionally, many airlines provide additional free flights in the form of buddy passes which flight attendants can give to friends or other family members.
Flight attendants can work with new colleagues, meet coworkers from new locations, and have hours or even days between flights to travel and see local attractions.
This job offers a great way to explore the world while getting paid.
- Typical Fees/Commissions: $50,000-$90,000 per year
- Typical Payment Methods: Check and direct deposit
Why You Should Consider Traveling as a Side Hustle
There are a variety of reasons that you should consider traveling as a way to make money while seeing the world besides just getting out of the rat race.
Here are a few.
- Flexibility: Traveling allows you to work according to your schedule and plan your trips around the times that suit you best. This allows you to set your hours and work from anywhere worldwide.
- Global Networking Opportunities: As a traveler, you can meet people from different cultures and backgrounds.
This can help you build a global network of contacts that can benefit your career or business.
- Learn New Skills: Travel allows learning new skills, such as languages and local customs.
You can also gain valuable knowledge about different cultures and lifestyles, opening up new career possibilities.
- Financial Benefits: With the right strategies, you can earn considerable money from traveling.
You can monetize your travels through blogging, vlogging, or even offering your services as a consultant or tour guide.
Problems With Traveling
It’s essential to be aware of the potential problems that come with this kind of lifestyle.
Here are four common problems people face when traveling for a living:
- Missing Home: When traveling for an extended period, staying connected with your home and the people you love can become challenging. Long-term travel can also be emotionally exhausting, and finding a place to feel comfortable and safe can be tricky.
- Limited Finances: If you’re traveling on a budget, it can be challenging to find affordable accommodations, transportation, and food. It can also be challenging to save money while traveling, as it’s easy to get caught up in the moment and overspend.
- Health Risks: Knowing the potential health risks associated with different destinations is essential. Having adequate travel insurance to cover any medical expenses incurred while abroad is also important, as well as learning how to navigate different healthcare systems.
- Cultural Challenges: It can be difficult to adjust to different customs and cultures while traveling. It’s important to approach each culture with respect and an open mind to appreciate the experience fully.
How To Get Paid To Travel: Step-By-Step Instructions
Getting paid to travel is the dream of many people, but it’s not always easy to make it a reality.
Fortunately, plenty of options are available to make money while traveling in 2023.
In this article, we’ll discuss nine ways to get paid to travel and provide step-by-step instructions to help you make your dream come true.
Step One: Research
The first step to getting paid to travel is researching the various available options.
Some of the most popular ways to make money while traveling include becoming a tour guide, blogging, writing freelance articles, or working as a digital nomad.
Each job has different requirements, so be sure to research and find the one that best fits your needs.
Step Two: Create a Plan
Once you’ve identified the type of job you want to pursue, the next step is to create a plan.
You’ll need to decide where you want to go, what job you want, and how long you plan to stay.
This will help you determine the cost of your trip and the necessary arrangements for accommodations, transportation, and any other expenses you may incur.
Step Three: Apply
Once you’ve created your plan, the next step is applying for jobs.
Depending on the type of job you’re looking for, you might need to create an online profile or submit a resume and cover letter.
If you’re applying to be a tour guide, you’ll need to be prepared to provide references and demonstrate your knowledge of the area you’ll be working in.
Step Four: Prepare To Travel
Once you’ve secured a job, the next step is preparing for your trip.
Make sure you have all the necessary documents, paperwork, and a valid passport if traveling outside your home country.
You should also research the local customs and laws of the place you’re traveling to, so you can stay safe and avoid potential legal issues.
Step Five: Budget
Finally, make sure to budget for the cost of your trip, including accommodation, food, and other expenses.
You should also set aside some money for emergencies and unexpected costs.
Once you’ve taken care of all the details, you’re ready to hit the road and start your journey!
Getting paid to travel is a great way to explore the world, meet new people, and experience new cultures.
With a bit of research and careful planning, you can make a living while enjoying yourself and learning about new places all over the world.
Things To Consider When Traveling for Money
When you can make money while traveling, it’s important to consider all the elements that go into a successful experience.
Before you embark on your journey, take some time to consider the following points.
- Research: Take the time to research the destination and the type of work you’ll be doing. Make sure you clearly understand the job requirements, visa rules, and the type of accommodations available.
- Budget: Determine how much money you’ll need to cover your expenses. Planning is essential so you’re not stuck with unexpected costs while on the road.
- Safety: Identify ways to stay safe while traveling.
Before departing, research any safety concerns specific to your destination.
- Insurance: Invest in travel insurance to protect yourself should something unexpected occur.
- Networking: It pays to network! Reach out to people in the industry or the city you’ll be visiting to understand the opportunities available better.
- Timing: If you’re working on a project-based job, ensure you understand the timeline and plan accordingly.
- Location: Do your best to identify areas where you can find the best opportunities.
- Documentation: Ensure you have all the necessary documents before leaving.
- Culture: Learn as much as possible about the local culture and customs, so you’re prepared for whatever comes your way.
By considering all of the above points, you’ll be well on your way to making the most of your travel experience and earning some extra cash along the way.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you still have some questions about how to get paid to travel, these frequently asked questions might give you the answers.
What country pays you to visit?
You can apply for a Canadian Permanent Resident Visa, which allows you to live and work in the country for up to five years.
Australia offers various visas, including the Working Holiday Visa, which allows you to work and live in the country for up to two years.
How can I make money remotely while traveling?
Freelance work is the most common and easiest way to earn money remotely while traveling.
You can find opportunities in various fields.
Another option is to take surveys and participate in market research.
Many websites offer the opportunity to make money by answering questions and providing feedback.
Similar Ways To Get Paid
If you don’t want to make traveling your full-time job, there are plenty of other jobs you can find that allow for flexibility in your job.
- Get Paid To Walk: Sweatcoin pays you to walk outside by tracking you on GPS. You will earn Sweatcoin currency with every 2,000 steps you take, which you can use to purchase rewards such as fitness equipment, vouchers, and more.
- Get Paid To Advertise on Your Car: You can earn anywhere from $100 to $200 monthly for participating in a three-month campaign with Wrapify, with the potential to earn up to $1,200 for larger campaigns.
- Get Paid To Test Products: Top product testing sites, including UserTesting.com, Influenster, BzzAgent, Social Nature, Brooks, Smiley 360, Vocal Point, PINCHme, JJ Friends & Neighbors, Toluna Influencers, and more pay people to test products at home.
Whether you’re looking to become a travel blogger, a tour guide, or an ESL teacher, there are plenty of ways to officially escape the rat race of office work by getting paid to travel.
With the right combination of skills and determination, you can make your dream of traveling the world a reality.