Are you upgrading to a new PC setup to give you better performance? That’s a wonderful idea! But how about your former computer that still looks as good as new?
Well, you can offer it for sale at a great price, which is why our guide on how to resell computers may be useful.
Below, we’ll discuss why it can be the right decision to resell your used PC and what to think about before doing so.
We’ll also help you find the best online platform for computer resale and give you step-by-step instructions for an error-free selling experience.
- Is It Possible to Resell Computers?
- What Is the Value of Computers?
- Things to Consider When Reselling Computers
- Where to Resell Computers
- What You’ll Need to Resell Computers
- How to Resell Computers: Step-By-Step Instructions
- Can You Make Money Flipping Computers?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Similar Tutorials to Check Out
- Wrapping Up
Is It Possible to Resell Computers?
Reselling electronics, including computers and smartphones, is as easy as ever these days.
The consumer electronics market is always evolving, with each manufacturer offering new products regularly. At the same time, not everyone can afford to buy newly-released computers at such a fast pace.
As a result, people on a budget may benefit from buying a lightly-used laptop or PC at a more reasonable price.
In other words, your old computer is bound to find a suitable audience no matter its specifications and capabilities.
What Kinds of Computers Sell Well?
Here are the types, models, and brands of computers that tend to be more profitable:
- Desktops, especially with high-end features perfect for gaming and design software
- Lightweight laptops
- Powerful gaming laptops
- Certain PC brands: Apple, Acer, Dell, HP, and Microsoft
What Is the Value of Computers?
Before you decide to sell a used computer, you must first know where its value lies. Understanding this information will give you a good idea about how to price your PC.
For example, a good deal of a computer’s value has to do with its specifications and performance. Points like the RAM space, disk space, processor power, and graphics card can drive the price up or down.
Also, a huge part of a computer’s value is related to the state of the hardware. If it’s in top-notch condition, its monetary value will be higher.
Finally, you can expect a computer to be sold at a better price if you’ve outfitted it with extra features. Advanced software, the latest operating system, and other modifications may go a long way in increasing a PC’s value.
Do Computers Lose Value Over Time?
Unfortunately, computers, laptops, and smart devices in general lose their value quickly over time. According to this paper, the resale price usually drops to one-third of the original sale price in two years!
This substantial fall in price has nothing to do with the computer’s physical state; it’s bound to happen anyway the more time passes. The reason for this is the fast-paced and highly competitive electronics market.
We advise you to resell your used computer as soon as you can to keep the difference between sale and resale prices lower.
Things to Consider When Reselling Computers
If you think it’s a good idea to sell your computer, keep these points in mind before you tackle this challenge:
- Emptying and formatting your hard drive: Move all your personal files and documents from your old computer to protect your privacy. Then, learn how to properly format its hard drive.
- Reinstalling an operating system: It won’t hurt to refresh your PC’s OS if it’s prone to lags and glitches.
- Cleaning the hardware: Wipe clean all the physical components of the computer to prepare it for photography and listing online. Clean internal PC parts, too.
- Replacing faulty parts: Whether it’s a desktop or laptop, do a thorough inspection of the device to see if you need to replace anything. Buy new keyboard keys, wiring, or batteries to improve the condition of your personal computer.
Where to Resell Computers
Thankfully, the internet is rife with platforms where you can list your computer to find potential buyers. Here are our top three favorite online locations for reselling computers:
eBay is one of the best places to sell new and used items online without having to set up a virtual store.
With more than 133 million active buyers globally in the first quarter of 2023, you’ll have a large audience base to sell your computer to.
What Makes This Option Great
eBay is a trusted site that many people associate with reselling valuable items and used products. So, anyone looking for a good-quality used computer will likely think about searching this site before going on other e-commerce platforms.
- Fees/Commission: 12.9% for electronics
- Payment Methods: PayPal, Apple Pay, credit card, debit card, and Google Pay
If you want a faster and easier selling channel, consider using OfferUp. It’s a mobile app that allows you to buy and sell items locally.
What Makes This Option Great
OfferUp is perfect if you want to keep your computer reselling experience within your town, city, or state. It’s also a good option for in-person transactions.
- Fees/Commission: $1.99 to 12.9% of the sale price
- Payment Methods: Credit card, debit card, and Apple Pay
Our final suggestion is BuyBackWorld—a company willing to buy used electronics after inspecting them and offering you a deal.
Besides computers, BuyBackWorld is ready to give you money in exchange for game consoles, phones, headphones, etc.
What Makes This Option Great
This service decreases the hassle associated with setting up an online store or handling the process of listing a product yourself.
Plus, if you don’t like the offer they give you, you may request they return your device.
- Fees/Commission: Varies according to product
- Payment Methods: Check, direct deposit, PayPal, prepaid debit card, or BuyBackWorld gift card
What You’ll Need to Resell Computers
Before getting into the nitty-gritty of how to resell your computer online, here are a few items you must have first:
- An account on your chosen platform: Whether you’ll be using a mobile app or an e-commerce platform for your product listing, setting up an account is a must.
- Clear pictures of your computer: Use your phone camera or a high-quality digital camera to capture every detail of your PC.
- Bank account: Depending on your preferred payment method, you may need to have a bank account ready to handle your transactions.
- Packing supplies: Buy bubble wrap, cardboard boxes, tape, a shipping label, and other products to keep your computer secure during shipping.
How to Resell Computers: Step-By-Step Instructions
Here are all the necessary steps for a smooth computer resale experience!
Step 1: Determine the Price of Your Computer
There are many ways to set the resale price of your used PC. First off, you’ll have to forget about the initial price because only the resale market will be your guide here!
Second of all, we suggest going on e-commerce sites like eBay or Craigslist. Do a quick search to find a pre-existing listing of a computer of the same make, model, and features.
Then, look up the price and model your computer’s resale price after it. Depending on your PC’s condition, modifications, and features, your asking price can be slightly higher or lower.
Another effective way to price your computer correctly is to use an online appraisal tool. Or, you could use Reddit and other forums to consult computer experts or people who know their way in the tech industry.
Step 2: Choose a Suitable Online Platform and Sign Up
Once you’ve settled on a price, select a convenient marketplace to sell your computer on. Make sure it’s easy to use and has features that will help people find your product fast.
You should also decide this point based on the payment methods available that best suit your needs. If the online platform has extra features like promotional services, that’s a huge plus, too!
After making up your mind, sign up by providing your credentials and confirming your email address.
Step 3: Create a Product Listing
Most websites allow you to list your product for sale in only a few minutes. Here are some guidelines to create the perfect listing for your used computer:
- Start with an interesting headline that clearly states your computer’s condition, make, and model.
- Write a detailed description of your computer’s features and specs with proper tags.
- List the most impressive features and power points of your computer first.
- Upload as many high-resolution pictures as the platform allows you from different angles.
- If the e-commerce platform gives you the option to promote your listing a certain way, don’t hesitate to use it!
Step 4: Get Ready to Answer Plenty of Customer Questions
In the computer world, most buyers prefer to reach out personally to sellers to inquire about specific features. That’s why you should be ready whenever someone contacts you about your PC.
Be fully transparent about your computer’s abilities, especially if there are any shortcomings. Also, be patient when answering repetitive questions and try to get back to potential customers as soon as they call or message you.
Taking too long to respond will leave a bad impression and may lead you to lose customers.
Step 5: Ship the Computer to Its New Owner
After you secure a deal, the final step includes properly packing your desktop or laptop using the supplies you’ve bought.
Make sure to tie any loose parts or small components so that the computer will reach its destination safely.
Afterward, choose a suitable shipping company, have your computer sent to the buyer, and don’t forget to get their feedback!
Can You Make Money Flipping Computers?
You can make money flipping computers, but it needs plenty of hard work and extensive knowledge of the market to turn a significant profit.
What Is a Computer Resale Business?
A computer resale business involves buying computer parts, complete PC setups, and laptops from people who no longer need them.
Then, depending on how much they’re worth in the market, you can offer them for sale at slightly higher prices for profit. Many individuals and companies became successful with this business idea despite the effort it requires.
Is Reselling Computers a Good Way to Make Money?
Reselling computers has the potential of being a great side hustle. But, you must first learn its pros and cons to see if it’ll work out for you.
Pros of Reselling Computers
- People have different needs, so you’ll likely find buyers interested in high-end options as well as personal computers with basic features.
- This business idea doesn’t require you to work for a certain number of hours.
- You can manage your business without leaving your home.
Cons of Reselling Computers
- You must always be up-to-date on the electronic market.
- The profit may not be steady all the time.
- Computer parts and full-fledged PCs are notorious for losing their value quickly, which puts pressure on you to sell them fast.
Frequently Asked Questions
Allow us to answer two common questions that people who want to resell computers usually think about.
Is It Okay to Buy a Second-Hand Computer?
Yes. It’s a wonderful idea to buy a second-hand computer because it’s much more affordable than buying it new.
Plus, customers can always refurbish their used computers until they match their exact needs.
Can You Resell a Used CPU?
You can resell a used CPU for up to half its original price if it’s in a like-new condition. However, that’s only possible if you offer it for sale before two years have passed since you first bought it.
Any longer than that, the CPU’s economic value will decrease further.
Similar Tutorials to Check Out
Do you like the idea of making money by reselling other tech items besides PCs? The following tutorials are a good way to start!
- Resell Software: Learn more about how to offer software for sale without leaving your desktop!
- Reselling Old Phones: A bunch of old phones have no business gathering in your drawers. You can resell them in a heartbeat now.
- Resell Apple Devices: Upgrading to a new iPhone or iPad? Many people are ready to buy your older Apple devices at rewarding prices.
Who knew that you can resell computers in a hassle-free, beginner-friendly way that only involves a few steps?
Hopefully, after reading this guide, you now have enough knowledge to make some fast cash by selling your PC or laptop.
Was this guide helpful? Tell us what you think in the comments and don’t hesitate to share it with friends who might benefit from it.