Is your GOAT app gathering dust on your phone screen?
Are you eyeing a pair of rare sneakers on the marketplace that you worry will turn out a bust?
Rest assured that you’re not the first sneaker fan to wonder: Is GOAT legit?
With the boom of online shopping platforms, the influx of counterfeit shoes has become a real headache. And it’s trickier than ever to find a marketplace you can trust.
This guide will reveal the truth about GOAT and whether you should get your next kicks from them.
- What Is GOAT?
- Common Questions to Understand
- Is GOAT Legit?
- Is GOAT Reliable?
- Is GOAT Safe?
- What Are Users Saying About GOAT?
- Why Are People Worried About Using GOAT?
- GOAT Quality and Guarantees
- GOAT Customer Service
- Conclusion: Is GOAT Legit?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Similar Gigs to Check Out
- Wrapping Up
What Is GOAT?
GOAT, which derives its name from the sports catchphrase “Greatest of All Time,” is an online marketplace for sneakerheads. It’s a trusted platform for buying and selling authentic shoes through consignment.
In a market plagued by counterfeit shoes, GOAT stands out as a solution to the problem. The buy-and-sell app is the brainchild of developer Eddy Lu and sneaker enthusiast Daishin Suganu.
The lightbulb moment came when Suganu bought a pair of Jordan 5 Grapes from eBay. The shoes turned out to be fake, and his appeal to get a refund fell on deaf ears.
GOAT attracts entrepreneurs with a deep understanding of retail arbitrage. Sellers source their stock from retail stores and resell them for a profit.
They leverage their knowledge of the sneaker market to find sought-after models, like limited edition releases and rare collaborations.
The platform then connects them to a dedicated audience of shoe collectors and sneaker enthusiasts.
How Does GOAT Work?
The process of selling sneakers for cash on GOAT follows a simple workflow. It follows the same model as StockX and Stadium Goods.
Here’s an overview of their strategy based on a “ship-to-verify” business model:
1. Listing the Sneakers
Verified sellers create shoe listings on the GOAT app or website. They provide details such as the item’s SKU, size, price, and condition.
Sellers with under 100% rating must include clear photos of their items. Pictures are also necessary for used and new but defective shoes, reflecting all the item’s imperfections.
Once a buyer checks out an item, the seller ships the package to a GOAT verification center near you.
GOAT uses proprietary AI technology to detect fake sneakers. Authentication specialists also inspect the shoes to ensure they are genuine and as described.
Items from GOAT’s retail partners are pre-verified. This means the boutique or retail store can ship them directly to buyers.
3. Approval and Shipping
Once GOAT authenticates the item, they’ll send the payment to the seller’s GOAT account, minus the commission and seller fee.
Then, they’ll ship the shoes to the buyer.
Common Questions to Understand
These are common questions you’d want the answers to before hitting the Checkout button on your GOAT app:
Are GOAT Shoes Used?
Yes, some shoes you’ll come across at the GOAT marketplace are used. You’ll find in the listing whether the shoes are new or pre-loved.
Don’t worry; GOAT takes strict measures to ensure the authenticity of used shoes. Plus, sellers describe the item’s condition in detail, including any visible wear, scuffs, and damage.
That way, you’ll have a better picture of the shoes before you buy them. You can also avoid shoes that don’t meet your standards or expectation.
GOAT has a team of experts who authenticate both used and new inventory. This authentication process ensures that the pair of shoes are genuine and in the condition described by the seller.
How Long Does GOAT Take to Deliver?
GOAT strives to provide timely delivery of your coveted kicks. Still, shipping and fulfillment delays can occur beyond the company’s control.
For instance, severe weather conditions and courier-side issues can hold off your shipments. Not to mention, customs procedures are a constant cause of hiccups in international shipping.
Also, note that delivery times provided at checkout are only estimates and not guaranteed.
For a better delivery time estimate, use your tracking number to monitor its location and status.
Except for Instant Ship items, the seller will ship your package to GOAT for authentication. This process adds some waiting time to your timeline.
Once the item gets the green light, GOAT will send it to your address.
In the contiguous US, your goodies can take 7–10 business days to reach you. Sometimes, unforeseen delays can extend the delivery time up to 30 days.
Instant Ship Items
Items labeled Instant Ship are pre-verified and stored in a GOAT facility.
If you’ve placed your order before 11:00 AM PT, the standard shipping is around 3–4 days. For Next Day shipping, you can expect your item within 24 hours.
Otherwise, shipping takes about 4–6 days.
Apparel and Accessories
These items take 4–8 days to ship.
Does GOAT Allow Returns?
Yes, GOAT allows returns. You only have a three-day window from receipt of item to request one.
Refer to the table below for GOAT items you can or cannot return:
|Items Eligible for Return
|Items Not Eligible for Return
|New In Box
|Special items (Custom, Defect, ID, Sample, Vintage, Pre-Release)
|New No Box
|GOAT storage items
|Final Sale items
|Items shipped to an address or freight forwarder in China
Keep in mind that GOAT will first evaluate your item before issuing a refund. They also have the final say on your request.
How to Return a GOAT Item
To initiate a return, use the “Request Return” on the GOAT app or the “Submit Request” on the GOAT website.
Below are the conditions to qualify for a return:
- The item must include the original tag, packaging, packing slip, and return label.
- The item should be in the same condition as when GOAT sent them to you. Dirt, creases, or signs of wear and tear can invalidate your claim.
- You must ship the item within three days of receiving the return label.
You should hear from GOAT about the status of your request within seven days. You’ll get the refund in GOAT Credit, minus shipping costs and priority processing fees.
If you have your eye on another item on the GOAT app, you can use this credit to buy it.
Is GOAT Legit?
Yes! GOAT is a legitimate company in the sneaker resale market. If you need more convincing, here are the reasons to trust the platform:
- Industry Partnerships: One of GOAT’s biggest investors is the athletic apparel and footwear retailer Foot Locker. Also, the merger with the retail store Fight Club has expanded GOAT’s international presence and helped scale its operations.
- Physical Stores: Aside from its online platform, GOAT operates physical stores in Los Angeles and New York. Customers can visit in person and check out their wide selection of authentic sneakers.
- Established Reputation: With over 40 million users, GOAT has built a solid reputation as a world leader in the resale of high end sneakers.
- Certified Authentic Products: GOAT ensures the authenticity of every pair of sneakers sold on the platform. They use a combination of AI technology, digital authentication, and in-hand verification.
Is GOAT Reliable?
GOAT is a reliable platform for trading sneakers, and here’s why:
- Technology-Driven Authentication: GOAT uses machine learning to authenticate sneakers.
- Founder’s Motivation: Daishin Sugano is a certified sneakerhead. His negative experience buying fake shoes on eBay inspired him to create a safe and trusted sneaker marketplace with co-founder Eddy Lu.
- Verified Sellers: Sellers undergo thorough selection before they can list items on the platform. Meanwhile, China-based sellers can only sign up with GOAT by invitation.
- Secure Payment Options: US buyers can use major credit cards like American Express, JCB, Visa, and Mastercard. GOAT also accepts payments thru Google Pay, Apple Pay, Alipay, and Klarna.
Is GOAT Safe?
GOAT offers after-sales support, aside from ensuring your item meets the highest standard. They have a transparent buyer protection policy for a safe shopping experience.
The GOAT return policy applies if the received item is:
- Not an accurate match to the listing’s photos and description
- Missing a key feature
Here’s a timeline of the return process after submitting a request through GOAT Assist:
- A customer support specialist will review your claim.
- If your item ticks any of the above criteria, you’ll receive a shipping label from GOAT.
- Once you receive the shipping label, you must send the item to the GOAT facility within three days.
- GOAT will verify that the item matches the original shipped condition.
- You’ll receive a refund in GOAT Credit. You can also specify in the request if you prefer to receive the refund in your original payment method.
What Are Users Saying About GOAT?
Check out what most users on two popular review sites say about GOAT:
What Trustpilot Reviewers Liked About GOAT
GOAT is a verified company on Trustpilot. It has a 4.2 rating out of over 13,000 reviews.
- Authentic Products: Customers appreciated GOAT’s dedication to ensuring the authenticity of their products.
- Wide Selection: Users praised the massive collection of sneakers and apparel on the platform. A few were ecstatic about scoring rare finds on the platform, such as unreleased samples of Air Jordans and Yeezys.
- Customer Service: Some users commended GOAT’s customer service representatives for their knowledge and responsiveness.
- Transparency: Buyers liked the transparency in pricing, fees, and shipping information, contributing to a positive experience.
- Buyer Protection: Positive reviews highlighted responsive and helpful customer service, with users feeling supported throughout the buying process. Some customers also lauded GOAT’s commitment to loyal customers through successful returns.
What Social Media Users Liked About GOAT
We’ve scoured GOAT’s social media pages to get the pulse of users:
- Ease of Use: Members had a smooth user experience using GOAT’s user-friendly app and website. The simple interface makes browsing and making purchases convenient.
- Trustworthiness: Many users recognized GOAT as a trusted marketplace for the resale of high-end sneakers.
- Thorough Verification Process: Customers expressed their satisfaction with GOAT’s method of authenticating products.
- Secure Payment: Some customers felt confident in their transactions because of GOAT’s secure payment system.
- AR Try-On Feature: Users loved rocking out the most expensive and exclusive sneakers, even if only virtually.
Why Are People Worried About Using GOAT?
Consider these experiences from GOAT users before making your next shoe purchase:
What Trustpilot Reviewers Worried About
Here are some criticisms Trustpilot reviewers have about GOAT:
- Shipping Delays: Some buyers found the delays in receiving orders frustrating.
- Lengthy Refund Process: Some users experienced complications and delays in receiving refunds for canceled or returned orders. Others complained about shouldering the cost of shipping for returns.
- Seller Communication Issues: A few negative reviews mentioned difficulties in communicating with sellers. Their encounters with unknowledgeable and unreliable resellers on the marketplace had caught them off-guard.
What Social Media Users Are Worried About
Facebook comments have the following negatives to say about GOAT:
- Slow Customer Service Response: Some buyers weren’t happy with the slow or unsatisfactory responses from customer service when resolving issues.
- High Shipping Costs: A handful of users expressed concerns about high shipping costs, particularly for international orders.
- Authentication Inacurracy: A few buyers complained about receiving items that don’t meet the condition and description. While GOAT has solid street cred for their verification process, this leads them to question the company’s credibility.
GOAT Quality and Guarantees
GOAT goes to great lengths to guarantee the quality and authenticity of every product on their virtual shelves.
Assurance of Authenticity
They source their sneakers through their network of verified sellers and retail partners. Then, they vet their resale items through machine learning and digital authentication.
GOAT combats counterfeit sneakers using proprietary software and Amazon Web Services tools.
They have an extensive database of shoes, each with dozens of data points for comparing and authenticating products.
Beyond technology, GOAT has a team of authentication experts who undergo mandatory training. They can tell whether a shoe is genuine or fake by inspecting the labels, color, stitchings, logo, and other features.
Buyer Protection Policy
Apart from the Assurance of Authenticity, GOAT has customer protection measures to give you peace of mind.
Inauthentic and misrepresented products can sometimes slip through, even with a rigorous authentication process.
If the item you receive is either of the two, GOAT will replace it from another seller, even if it means covering the price difference. If they cannot locate the item, GOAT will issue a full refund.
GOAT Customer Service
GOAT has reliable customer service to help you with orders, shipping, and returns.
What Customer Service Options Are Available?
Whether you’re a seller or buyer, GOAT offers these options for all your queries or problems:
1. GOAT Assist
GOAT encourages customers to report issues through the in-app GOAT Assist feature. It’s a premium service that provides personalized assistance to customers.
You can expect GOAT’s dedicated customer support team to guide you every step of the way.
2. GOAT Support
The GOAT Support page on the company website offers a wealth of information for self-help, including FAQs and guides.
Users can access this page to find answers to common queries and learn more about buying, selling, and navigating the platform.
Conclusion: Is GOAT Legit?
Without a doubt, GOAT is a legit platform for reselling shoes. Here are the main takeaways from this guide:
- GOAT has a comprehensive authentication process and reliable customer service.
- The platform follows a “ship-to-verify” method to weed out fake shoes from their inventory.
- They collaborate with boutiques, retail stores, and trusted resellers to source authentic kicks.
- In case of misrepresented items, GOAT will fulfill the order with the same item from a different seller or issue a refund.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where is GOAT Located?
You can find the GOAT headquarters at 3433 W Exposition Pl, Los Angeles. They also have facilities in Hongkong, China and United Kingdom.
They opened their physical stores in Los Angeles and New York after the merger with the sneaker retailer Fight Club in 2018.
How Long is GOAT Verification?
The GOAT verification takes 1–2 days to complete. If you’re experiencing significant delays in your item’s authentication, you can reach out to their customer service for updates.
Sometimes, the volume of orders at a given time and the complexity of the product can affect the duration of authentication.
Similar Gigs to Check Out
Want to explore other marketplaces for selling stuff online? Here are some platforms similar to GOAT that you’ll find helpful:
- Is Mercari Legit?: Find out if buying and selling new and used clothing, electronics, and other items in Mercari is safe.
- Is KICKS CREW Legit?: Learn whether KICKS CREW lives up to its name as an online retailer of limited edition sneakers.
- Is Poshmark Legit?: Discover if Poshmark is a reliable platform for selling clothes online.
So, is GOAT legit?
We hope we’ve erased your last smidgen of doubt about the platform.
With multi-million funding and industry partnerships, GOAT has become a leader in the sneaker culture.
Have you bought kicks through the GOAT app before? We’d love to hear about your experience in the comments below.
We’ll also appreciate it if you share this guide with your fellow sneakerheads!