Purchasing goods through B2B e-commerce platforms is a go-to solution for both small business enterprises and regular shoppers.
That said, DHgate is one of the prominent e-commerce trade platforms where you can source affordable goods directly from manufacturers in China.
With millions of bulk products sold for cheap, we can’t help but wonder, “Is DHgate legit?”
Let’s examine DHgate’s reputation, customer reviews, services, and policies to assess whether it’s a good choice for your shopping or business needs.
- What is DHgate?
- Common Questions to Understand
- Is DHgate Legit?
- Is DHgate Reliable?
- Is DHgate Safe?
- What Are Users Saying About DHgate?
- Why Are People Worried About Using DHgate?
- DHgate Quality and Guarantees
- Does DHgate Offer Customer Service?
- Conclusion: Is DHGate Legit?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Similar Gigs to Check Out
- Wrapping Up
What is DHgate?
Chinese businesswoman, Diane Wang founded DHgate, a B2B e-commerce platform linking shoppers worldwide to over one million Chinese manufacturers and wholesalers.
DHgate offers a wide range of goods and supplies—from home essentials, electronics, and apparel to health and beauty products.
Aside from the wide selection of goods, DHgate is so popular because you can purchase high-quality goods for low prices, not to mention the discounts you can cap if you buy in bulk.
However, DHgate is just a shopping platform that puts sellers and buyers together; they don’t sell their products.
So far, DHgate has processed orders for millions of buyers in more than 220 countries and regions across the globe.
In 2022, Global Brands Magazine recognized the company as the most innovative cross-border B2B trade platform.
How Does DHgate Work?
Home to millions of manufacturers and sellers, DHgate is an intermediary between small to medium Chinese enterprises and shoppers.
The platform earns from the 3% standard service fee for every purchase.
Meanwhile, you can access their platform by installing the DHgate application or accessing their desktop site.
Through the DHgate application or website, sellers and manufacturers list their products, including necessary information like:
- Product description
- Product photos
- Shipping options
- Availability in bulk
Likewise, shoppers search for their desired products or items by category. They can also choose from various wholesalers or retailers.
Here’s how the order process works:
- The buyer places an order and chooses their preferred shipping option
- The buyer pays DHgate, and the payment is on hold until the buyer confirms receipt of the items
- The seller ships the package
- DHgate releases payment to the seller after the shopper confirms receipt of the package
Common Questions to Understand
Sourcing supplies from DHgate sounds like a good idea, especially if you’re starting an online business. But before breaking the bank, it’s essential to know how and who to transact within the platform to guarantee a successful trade.
At the same time, the company’s legal status is a determinant of its legitimacy since it’s a cross-border entity operating outside the US.
Is DHgate Legal in the United States?
Though based in China, DHgate has legal rights to distribute goods in many regions across the globe, including the United States.
To back this up, DHgate complies with the Customs Department of China’s quality management system (QMS) standards. This merit gives DHgate the right to international production, sales, and services.
Additionally, DHgate has certification from the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The company uses safe packaging materials that comply with the FDA.
All products and goods sold within the platform adhere to the FDA food safety standards.
How Do I Know if a DHgate Seller is Legit?
With millions of sellers offering enticing deals, buying can be confusing, especially for first-time shoppers.
Here are some tips to ensure a DHgate seller’s legitimacy:
- Check the Seller’s Badge: Sellers with the top merchant or premium merchant badges are usually preferred. These badges are granted to sellers with excellent customer service, high product quality, and high sales volume. Reputable sellers like these are less likely to scam consumers.
- Choose Verified or Gold Suppliers: The platform verifies these suppliers; thus, purchasing bulk from them is safe.
- Look for Sellers With a High Feedback Score and Buyer Satisfaction Rating: A 95% and above feedback score is a telltale sign that a seller has a good reputation.
- Read the Reviews and Ratings on the Seller’s Products: One of the most effective ways to measure a seller’s legitimacy is by looking at what customers say about their products and customer service. If customers leave more positive feedback about a product, then buying from that seller may be worth the shot.
- Check for the Availability of Buyer Protection Record: Buyer protection guarantees that sellers most likely offer high-quality goods and services.
- Opt For Well-Established Sellers:
Is DHgate Legit?
DHgate is a legit e-commerce trading company headquartered in Beijing, China.
- FDA and QMS compliant: DHgate passes the FDA standards and QMS, which means they adhere to international trade standards.
- Registered with the Chinese government: The company pays taxes to the Chinese government.
- They have a physical office: Their main office is located in Beijing, and they have offices based in other countries like the US and UK. Plus, they have an official website with working contact information.
- Has partnerships with reputable logistics partners: The company partners with reliable shipping couriers or logistics providers (like FedEx and DHL), allowing secure shipment tracking and delivery.
- Partners with the largest payment processing networks: DHgate partners with MasterCard, Visa, and American Express.
- In addition to the factors listed, it’s essential to consider the seller’s longevity in the platform. DHgate sellers that’ve been active on the platform for three years or more are usually more trustworthy than those who just signed in.
Is DHgate Reliable?
Yes, DHgate is a reliable online marketplace. Their app and website have a user-friendly interface that allows easy navigation.
You can filter out your preferred products and sellers by category, and placing an order is easy.
They also use Secure Socket Locker or SSL technology to protect their users’ data and privacy. As a result, it prevents unauthorized access to their users’ sensitive information, including credit card and banking details.
They also offer a protection and refund policy that provides security when you’re online shopping.
Is DHgate Safe?
Purchasing goods from DHgate is safe because they offer secure payment methods. Through that, you can trust that your monetary and card details are secure.
Additionally, sellers can’t access any of your bank or credit card details with the help of Escrow, a trustworthy financial agreement that ensures a safe and reliable payment process.
Your payment doesn’t go directly to the seller. That way, DHgate can hold the funds upon reports of unsuccessful or faulty shipments.
When it comes to the transportation of goods, you can select from reputable logistics partners, and you’ll be able to access the tracking number of your shipment within days.
What Are Users Saying About DHgate?
Here are what DHgate consumers are saying about the platform and the products:
- Wide selection of goods: You can find many products, from personal care to home essentials, electronics, and gadgets.
- High-quality products: Despite the affordability of the price, many users report that the items are of good quality.
- Great price: The affordability of the items is what most users love about the platform.
- Wholesale goods: If you plan to buy in bulk and sell individually, you may find great wholesale deals at DHgate. Both regular shoppers and business owners could save big from buying wholesale.
What Trustpilot Reviewers Liked About DHgate?
Out of 29,869 reviews, DHgate got 57% of five-star reviews in Trustpilot.
According to Trustpilot reviewers, they were satisfied with the quality of the items as well as the security of the packaging. They also claim that they could buy unique items they couldn’t find at local stores.
There are also users saying that they love the DHgate app’s interface since it’s easy to navigate plus it’s user-friendly.
Many reviewers are happy about the affordability of the items, especially when for wholesale purchases.
What TrustIndex Reviewers Liked About DHgate?
Many reviewers are thankful for the affordability of the goods, with some saying that they were able to get great deals from buying wholesale products.
Through buying wholesale, many users say that they were able to save more.
At the same time, many consumers are satisfied with the fast shipping time, which only takes weeks, even though sellers are China-based.
Trustpilot reviewers also love the quality and fit of the items. There are also reviews from business owners saying that they could transact smoothly and get the best quality items for a reasonable price.
What Reviews.io Reviewers Liked About DHgate?
Shoppers share their experience purchasing good quality products from the platform, be it clothes, accessories, or electronics.
Consequently, many shoppers mentioned receiving undamaged items and packages. Many shoppers are glad about cheap wholesale purchases from the platform as well.
Why Are People Worried About Using DHgate?
Most of the negative reviews from DHgate users are related to suppliers or sellers:
- Faulty or wrong goods: DHgate consumers report that they receive defective items. Some say they receive items with different colors, sizes, or varieties from their order.
- Failure to receive the package: Many DHgate buyers say they didn’t receive their orders at all.
- Poor customer service: Users report dissatisfaction with DHgate’s customer service, with some saying that the service isn’t as prompt as promised.
- No refund: Reviewers say they couldn’t get refunds or successful disputes even after failed transactions.
What Trustpilot Reviewers Worried About
DHgate got a poor Trustpilot rating of only 1.8; most buyer complaints are about receiving defective or wrong items.
For example, some buyers share their experience about receiving shoes with the wrong size and color.
There are also buyers saying that they received bags with broken straps and electronics that don’t function.
Buyers talk about their experience with rude sellers and their refusal to approve refunds. Buyers complain about DHgate’s lack of action on disputes too.
What Trustindex Reviewers Worried About
DHgate’s Trustindex rate is 2.1, which is below average. Many users share that customer support is poor, and many aren’t satisfied with the partial refund policy. In fact, many users say they didn’t get any refund.
There are cases of misleading shipment updates and tracking numbers that aren’t working too.
Additionally, reviewers will mention the usernames of sellers and suppliers that allegedly scammed them. There are also complaints about rude sellers, receipt of wrong items, and slow delivery process.
What Reviews.io Reviewers Worried About
DHgate only got a 1.4 rating for Reviews.io. Many reviewers complain about difficult and ineffective refunds and scam transactions from various sellers. Users are saying that the dispute isn’t effective as well.
Many shoppers report receiving counterfeits and items that get easily damaged. One buyer shares their experience buying a bag with a poor quality toggle that won’t close up.
Shoppers also complain about the poor customer service that didn’t help them with their concerns.
DHgate Quality and Guarantees
Learn about DHgate’s quality control monitoring and how they protect customers from scams:
How Does DHgate Monitor Quality?
DHgate has a quality control system led by experts. Their quality control unit tracks, monitors, and verifies sellers and products in the platform.
They also monitor fraudulent and suspicious transactions. That way, they can prevent the sale and distribution of counterfeit products.
The QC team inspects order processes and any violation of company guidelines that put buyers at risk too.
What Is Dhgate’s Buyer Protection Program and Return and Refund Policy?
DHgate offers a buyer protection program and a return and refund policy. These services guarantee that customers are not at a loss after unsuccessful or unsatisfactory transactions.
Customers can open a dispute if sellers disagree on return or refund.
How Can I Get a Refund?
You can request a refund if you’re experiencing issues like the following:
- Received products that are different from the seller’s description
- Order is insufficient in quantity
- Items received are damaged or not working
- The package did not arrive
How to Apply for a Return or Refund
To request the seller for a refund, follow these steps:
- After logging in to your Dhgate account, go to “My Orders”
- Go to the transaction that you want to get a refund for
- Click the “Request Refund” option
- Choose between “Refund Only” or “Return for Refund”
- Add photos for evidence
The customer can open a dispute if the seller is unresponsive or disagrees with a refund.
DHgate will dispute on the customer’s behalf, and if the seller is at fault, DHgate will freeze the seller’s funds. DHgate will also ensure that the customer gets their money back through a partial or full refund.
Meanwhile, it’s every consumer’s responsibility to purchase from trustworthy sellers and not miss any product information that may result in dissatisfaction.
The coverage of DHgate’s buyer protection program is only applicable for transactions within the app or website.
DHgate is not accountable for any transactions done outside of the platform.
Does DHgate Offer Customer Service?
Yes, you can reach DHgate experts by accessing their official website’s customer service page.
From its customer service page, DHgate also features its customer service Facebook page. However, the said Facebook page doesn’t exist.
In this matter, many reviewers online are complaining about DHgate’s poor customer communications.
DHgate also actively responds to consumer reviews and complaints on third-party review sites like Trustpilot.
What Customer Service Options Are Available?
DHgate offers 24/7 online chat assistance from their official website, where you can get in touch with their representative.
Conclusion: Is DHGate Legit?
DHgate is definitely a legitimate e-commerce platform connecting millions of shoppers and business owners to Chinese manufacturers offering a vast selection of products.
They’re registered with the Chinese government, pass QMS standards, and adhere to FDA regulations. That makes them a legal B2B e-commerce platform operating worldwide.
Apart from that, they’re already 18 years in business with a physical headquarters based in Beijing, China.
While DHgate is a legitimate e-commerce platform, it earned a bad reputation due to consumers’ dissatisfaction with the sellers and suppliers on the platform.
The poor products and services from sellers reflect on DHgate when it’s merely a platform that puts these sellers and shoppers together.
With that fact, the company should upgrade its policies and guidelines to minimize scams and unsuccessful transactions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Learn the answers to some FAQs about DHgate:
How Should I Pay on DHgate?
Available payment options include credit cards, wire transfers, and debit cards. You can also pay through e-wallets like Webmoney and Google Wallet.
How Long is DHgate Shipping?
The longevity of shipping processes varies per country and courier. On estimate, shipping time ranges between one to 49 days.
Similar Gigs to Check Out
Dropshipping sounds like a good side gig for those who want to earn extra, and DHgate is one of the e-commerce platforms you can trust.
Aside from Dhgate, here are other e-commerce platforms worth checking out:
- Is Ali Express Legit?: owned by Alibaba, Aliexpress is a legit online marketplace based in China.
- Is Mercari Legit?: Established in 2013, Mercari is an e-commerce company owned by Japanese CEO Shinatro Yamada. It operates both in the US and Japan.
- Is Farfetch Legit?: A global shopping platform for luxury fashion brands, you can shop for the latest collection from Farfetch and earn discounts.
DHgate is a legit e-commerce platform where shoppers and business owners can source different products and supplies.
Millions of sellers offer good quality products for cheap.
To avoid getting scammed, examining the seller’s profile for their verified badge, feedback rating, and year of establishment is essential.
Reading consumer product reviews is also helpful in managing your expectations about specific products and services.
If you loved this guide, please let us know in the comments, and be sure to check out some of our helpful articles as well.