Have you ever been sitting at home hungry, but you don’t want to cook or go out anywhere?
In situations like this, you naturally turn to getting food delivered.
In the past, your best option for delivery was ordering pizza from your local spot, or perhaps getting a courier to deliver Chinese takeout (if you live in a large city).
Other than that, the prospects for food delivery were rather limited.
Recently, however, the collision of innovative startups, smartphone technology, and advances in logistics have created a new way to get food straight to your door: food delivery apps.
In this post, we’re going to take a look at one of the most exciting and popular food delivery services out there: Uber Eats.
We’ll examine what the app is, how much it costs, and how to place your first order.
Uber Eats is an outgrowth of the popular ridesharing service Uber.
Recognizing that it already had a large fleet of drivers and the technology to coordinate restaurant delivery, the company launched Uber Eats back in 2014.
Since then, the app has become a popular way to get food delivered from local restaurants, particularly among convenience-hungry millennials.
One of the reasons that Uber Eats has grown so quickly is that the app is very simple to use.
All you have to do is download Uber Eats, browse menu items from a particular restaurant, and then tap a couple buttons to place orders.
All payment occurs through the app, including tips.
And you can track your order’s progress in real time, just as you would when ordering an Uber ride.
How Much Does Uber Eats Cost?
You might assume that a service as convenient as Uber Eats would be expensive.
However, just as the Uber app made getting a ride cheaper and easier than ever, so has the Uber Eats app made food delivery much simpler and more affordable than the delivery options of the past.
The precise cost of your Uber Eats delivery will vary depending on how far your Uber Eats delivery person has to drive to pick up your order, as well as the demand for Uber Eats delivery partners at the time you order.
Generally, the delivery fee is just a few dollars.
In some cases, you can also get free delivery.
One way to do this is to watch out for alerts of special promotions that Uber Eats does in partnership with large restaurant chains like Taco Bell and McDonald’s.
You can also use the promo code EATSYUM7 to get $5 off your first Uber Eats order.
Learn more about this in our guide to Uber Eats promo codes.
Where Is Uber Eats Available?
Before you place your first Uber Eats order, you’ll want to make sure that Uber Eats is available in your city.
Luckily, Uber Eats is one of the most widely available food delivery services on the market.
To start, Uber Eats is available in most U.S. cities.
Here are just a few of the many:
- Los Angeles
- New York City
- San Diego
- San Francisco
In addition, Uber Eats is available in over a hundred cities across the world.
Check out just some of the international cities where you can get Uber Eats:
- Hyderabad, India
- London, United Kingdom
- Mexico City, Mexico
- Paris, France
- São Paulo, Brazil
- Seoul, South Korea
- Singapore, Singapore
- Sydney, Australia
In general, if the regular Uber service is available in a city, then Uber Eats is as well.
Ultimately, the best way to verify if Uber Eats has a presence in your city is to download the Uber Eats app and find out.
How to Place an Uber Eats Order
Now that you understand the basics of how much Uber Eats costs and where it’s available, let’s examine how to place an Uber Eats order.
Here are the steps you’ll need to follow:
- Download the Uber Eats app for iOS or Android.
- Input your address. Uber Eats will use this information to show you restaurants available for delivery, as well as to tell your driver where to bring your order.
- Enter your payment information. You can pay with any major debit or credit card.
- Search restaurants. Now, you’ll be able to scroll through a list of available restaurants. You can also filter the results by price, delivery time, and cuisine.
- Select your food. Once you’ve picked a restaurant, you’ll be able to look through its menu to determine what you want delivered. Tap on the items you want to add them to your cart. Note that each restaurant sets prices within the Uber Eats app, and the prices may differ from what you’d pay in the restaurant itself.
- Place your order. Once you’ve made your choices, you’ll be able to review your order, including applicable taxes, the cost of the food, the booking fee, and the estimated delivery time. If you’re happy with your selection, tap “Place Order.”
- Track your order. Now that you’ve placed the order, you can watch its progress in real time using the Uber Eats app. You’ll get notifications at each stage of your order, including when the restaurant is preparing your food, when the delivery driver has picked it up, and when the driver is on their way.
- Get your food. The Uber Eats app will notify you when the driver has arrived with your order. You can either go outside to collect it, or you can wait for them to bring it to your door. Note that if you live in an apartment building or gated community, it’s generally simpler to meet the driver outside.
- Leave a tip (if you like). Now that you’ve gotten your food, you’ll understandably want to enjoy it. But don’t forget to leave your driver a tip, assuming they provided excellent service. Tips are optional, but they help your driver cover their expenses, as well as show your appreciation for a prompt, accurate delivery.
Frequently Asked Questions About Uber Eats
To conclude this guide, here are answers to some common questions that prospective drivers and customers have about Uber Eats.
1. Can regular Uber drivers drive for Uber Eats?
If you’re already an Uber driver, then delivering for Uber Eats can be a great way to make some extra money in the course of a driving shift.
The Uber app allows you to make Uber Eats deliveries as well, and it takes no time at all to get started if you’ve already passed the Uber background check and meet the Uber driver requirements.
On the other hand, you can also be an Uber Eats driver without picking up Uber passengers.
This can be handy if you don’t meet the Uber driver requirements, as the Uber Eats driver requirements are much less strict.
All you need to drive for Uber Eats are the following:
- A valid driver’s license
- Current proof of insurance
- Current vehicle registration
- Be at least 19 years old (18 if you’re delivering using a bike)
- Have a car made after 1999 (if you’re using a car to make deliveries)
2. What are alternatives to Uber Eats?
Uber Eats is far from the only food delivery service out there.
3. Does Lyft offer a food delivery service?
No, the other major ridesharing player does not currently offer a food delivery service.
It’s possible that they will in the future, but the company has not announced any plans along these lines.
Place Your First Uber Eats Order Today
We hope this guide has helped you understand the many benefits of ordering food using Uber Eats, as well as how the app works.
Finally, don’t forget to use the promo code EATSYUM7 to get $5 off your first Uber Eats order.
Enjoy your food!