Are you a creative individual with an eye for detail and a passion for all things design-related? Are you searching for high-paying graphic design jobs but don’t know where to start?
Well, even though the graphic design industry is vast and dynamic, many talented graphic designers still struggle to secure gigs that align with their skills and interests.
Here are the 5 best graphic design job boards and platforms, as well as the most popular niches of graphic design to get your foot in the door!
- An Overview of the Best Graphic Design Jobs
- Best Graphic Design Niches
- Top 5 Platforms to Find Graphic Design Jobs
- What You’ll Need to Do Graphic Design Jobs
- Tips to Succeed at Graphic Design Jobs
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Wrapping Up
An Overview of the Best Graphic Design Jobs
An overview of the best graphic design jobs:
- Branding and Identity Design
- Web and User Interface (UI) Design
- Social Media Graphics Design
- Motion Graphics Design
- Print and Publication Design
Where to find the best graphic design jobs:
Best Graphic Design Niches
Below are the most popular types of graphic design jobs in 2023:
Branding and Identity Design
This is a niche that focuses on creating a cohesive brand identity to reflect the essence of a product or service and resonate with its target audience.
Branding entails designing unique logos, color palettes, and typography for a business. It also requires creating branded material, like business cards and flyers, to establish a recognizable brand image.
Web and User Interface (UI) Design
As a web/UI designer, your job would be to create appealing and intuitive user interfaces for websites, applications, and digital platforms.
The primary goal here is to enhance user experience and facilitate seamless interaction with the technology.
Social Media Graphics Design
Working with social media involves designing visuals specifically tailored for platforms like Facebook and Instagram.
Social media designers create eye-catching posts, banners, infographics, and cover images. These usually aim to increase interactions like likes, comments, and post shares and, hence, make the brand more visible online.
Motion Graphics Design
Motion graphics design combines graphic design elements with animation and audio for dynamic visual storytelling. It’s widely used in videos, commercials, presentations, and advertisements.
For this type of job, you should learn how to use software like Adobe After Effects, which enables you to animate static graphics and incorporate them into video material.
Print and Publication Design
In this job, you’ll design material for physical distribution, such as brochures, flyers, posters, magazines, books, and packaging.
Publication design requires a deep understanding of layout, composition, and print production processes.
Top 5 Platforms to Find Graphic Design Jobs
Having a hard time securing graphic design jobs that align with your expertise and interests? Consider using one of the following platforms:
The platform allows designers to showcase their portfolios, interact with potential employers, and discover job openings that match their skills and interests.
- A large number of potential clients and employers
- Focus on visual design and aesthetics
- High competition
- Limited project management features
Not only can designers showcase their portfolios on 99designs, but they can also compete to win contests or receive freelance projects. This allows them to gain exposure and connect with clients from all over the world.
- A diverse range of graphic design projects
- Allows you to simultaneously work on multiple projects
- Fixed pricing and money-back guarantee
- Global exposure and a large client base
- Limited designer-client communication
- Contest work might not receive monetary compensation
As a global freelance platform, Fiverr allows designers to offer their services through customizable packages available for order.
With its intuitive interface and rating system, Fiverr is user-friendly and allows graphic designers to expand their client reach while earning good money. Just bear in mind that Fiverr charges a service fee.
- Flexible pricing and custom packages
- Suitable for beginners and pros
- Project management features
- Global reach and a vast user base
- Highly competitive platform
- Charges a service fee
DesignCrowd is a marketplace where designers can participate in design contests or receive direct project invitations from clients worldwide. By submitting their design concepts, designers compete for rewards while building their portfolios.
The platform fosters collaboration by enabling designers to engage with clients and receive feedback.
- Diverse graphic design projects
- Smooth client-designer communication
- Great incentives and rewards
- Contest-based; no pitches or proposals
- No guaranteed income due to the contest model
- Limited project management features
Like Fiverr, Upwork is a well-known freelance platform that allows you to build a personalized profile, add your portfolio and experience, and bid on projects that align with your skills.
Through a secure payment system and review-based feedback, Upwork ensures transparency between clients and freelancers. That said, you should be aware that Upwork charges a hefty service fee of 10%.
- Secure payment system
- Potential for long-term collaborations
- Good potential to grow your client base
- Hourly and fixed-price contracts
- Substantial service fee
- Fierce competition
What You’ll Need to Do Graphic Design Jobs
You’ll need these skills and tools to start working as a graphic designer:
- Familiarity with design software like Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and After Effects.
- Strong eye for design and detail.
- Being familiar with design principles, like color theory and composition.
- Creativity and ability to think outside the box to produce innovative designs.
- Excellent communication skills to understand clients’ needs and collaborate with team members.
- Time management and organizational skills to meet deadlines and handle multiple projects.
- Adaptability to embrace new design trends, technologies, and industry advancements.
- Problem-solving skills to overcome design challenges and find creative solutions.
- Ability to work independently or as part of a design team to achieve project goals.
- Openness to constructive feedback and a willingness to continuously improve and learn.
- Computer or laptop with graphic design software.
- Drawing tablet and stylus.
- Color management tools for accurate color representation.
- Access to stock image and font libraries.
- Prototyping software for interactive designs.
- Cloud storage for secure file sharing.
- Project management tools for organization.
- Communication tools for collaboration.
- Notebook and sketchpad for drafting ideas.
Tips to Succeed at Graphic Design Jobs
Like for any career path, becoming a successful graphic designer takes effort, discipline, and time.
Here are a few tips that’ll help you build up your success in the design field:
1. Master Your Tools
Invest time in learning and honing your skills with different graphic design software like Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.
2. Build a Strong Portfolio
Your portfolio serves as your visual resume, showcasing your skills, creativity, and versatility. The stronger your portfolio, the more opportunities will come your way.
Make sure to tailor your portfolio to your target audience and include high-quality visuals along with brief descriptions of each project.
3. Seek and Accept Feedback
While trusting your intuition and creativity is nonnegotiable, seeking feedback from peers, mentors, and clients is crucial for success.
Constructive criticism provides fresh perspectives and points out areas for improvement. This can help you refine your designs and grow as a graphic designer and as an individual.
4. Time Management and Organization
Creative people usually have the best ideas when being bored or chill, but you shouldn’t neglect the need to be well-organized in today’s fast-paced world. Working on a project base with your clients will require you to stay on top of deadlines and know how to manage your time and prioritize tasks.
Project management tools like Trello and Miro can help you track progress, set milestones, and communicate effectively with clients.
5. Embrace Continuous Learning
Engage with design communities, attend workshops, and explore online resources to broaden your design knowledge and stay up-to-date with new design trends and technologies. This will help keep you competitive and in the loop.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Graphic Design Hard to Learn?
Graphic design isn’t necessarily hard to learn, but it requires a lot of time, effort, and dedication, in addition to an aptitude for art and design, of course.
It can take anywhere between six months and five years to become proficient in graphic design.
What Are the Qualifications of a Graphic Designer?
A bachelor’s degree in graphic design or a related field is usually needed to become a graphic designer. That said, having a solid portfolio should be enough to secure high-paying gigs.
How Much Do Graphic Designers Make?
According to Indeed.com, graphic designers make an average of $56,367 per year. Beginners tend to make around $33,648 a year, while top-tier designers can earn as high as $94,426.
Finding graphic design jobs can be challenging due to fierce competition and different job requirements, not to mention that building a strong portfolio takes time.
However, persistence, continuous improvement, and leveraging graphic design job boards and platforms, like the ones listed in this article, can lead to exciting graphic design career prospects.
Is graphic design the right gig for you? Let us know your thoughts in the comment section below. And don’t forget to share this guide with others who may be interested in graphic design!