Your Guide to Decluttr: Sell Your Unwanted Tech for Extra Cash
In a technology-driven world, your devices and media can become outdated in a snap. Streaming services inspire you to box up your DVDs, while every new iPhone model compels you to upgrade to Apple’s latest innovation. However, this doesn’t mean your old technology needs to go to waste. With Decluttr, you can get paid for getting rid of your unwanted tech.
Decluttr is a platform that allows you to sell stuff online. Though the company specializes in technological devices, it also accepts old CDs, video games, and other forms of entertainment — even LEGO bricks. In return, Decluttr will send you a fair amount of money.
Keep reading to learn everything you need to know about Decluttr and how to sell your used goods on the platform.
How Does Decluttr Work?
Decluttr is both a mobile application and a desktop website in which you can sell tech, textbooks, DVDs, and more. While this is a fairly common concept, Decluttr increases the convenience of selling used products online in two different ways.
First, Decluttr eliminates the step of waiting indefinitely for a buyer to purchase your items. Unlike online marketplaces like eBay and Poshmark, Decluttr provides an instant offer, so you’ll know exactly how much money you’ll receive based on your product’s quality before you even mail it in. As long as your product is listed with an offer price by the platform, you’re guaranteed a sale and will receive your payment as soon as your product is reviewed.
Second, the platform provides you with free shipping labels to print and use. This means you’ll be earning money without paying the cost of shipping and handling, or charging price-sensitive consumers with shipping fees.
What Products Does Decluttr Accept?
You must ship at least 10 media items or one tech item with a total offer value of at least $5. However, Decluttr accepts a wide range of technology and entertainment devices, so these minimums are fairly easy to meet.
Accepted products include:
- Cell phones: Both Androids and iPhones, primarily popular models created within the past five years. Currently, you can even sell your vintage Nokia 3310.
- Apple products: This includes iPhones, iPads, MacBooks, and iPods.
- Tablets: Though MacBooks are currently the only approved laptops, iPads aren’t the only acceptable type of tablet. You can also sell your unwanted Google Nexus, Samsung Galaxy Note, AmazonKindle, and more.
- Video game consoles: Whether you have an old Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii, or a Nintendo DS, most games console are accepted.
- Wearables: Smartwatches like the Apple Watch and Samsung Galaxy Watch.
These products will have different offer prices based on your item’s condition, storage size, and service provider. Latest models can be worth hundreds of dollars when in the best possible condition. For example, an iPhone XS with the lowest storage (64 GB) is worth nearly $600 when unlocked or carried by Verizon and in good condition.
While having lower-quality products can decrease your price, you can still typically sell your device unless it’s completely crushed, bent, or snapped. The three accepted technology conditions, as defined by Decluttr, are:
- Good: Everything on your device must work with no major damages to qualify. Minor wear may be acceptable.
- Poor: Usually worth about half the price of a good product. A poor product works, but with heavy wear and tear.
- Faulty: If your product has major functionality issues, lots of physical damage, or water damage, it will likely fall into this low-paying tier. Though you’ll earn a minimal amount of money, Decluttr is often the only place you can sell a non-working tech product for a decent price, instead of just throwing it away.
Media products, on the other hand, must always be in good condition. This means no significant damage to the product, its barcode, or its artwork. Accepted media products include CDs, DVDs, Blu-rays, books, and video games.
Authentic LEGO blocks are also accepted by the pound and must always be in good condition.
How to Sell Your Stuff on Decluttr
Before you start selling your items on Decluttr, understand that you must be located in the United States. This is because the company’s free shipment options require you to drop off your package at your local UPS store, USPS location, or authorized retail location. Plus, all payments are paid out in U.S. dollars.
If you fit this requirement, continue with the following steps to start selling your unwanted items. We recommend creating your account before you start, using the free app or website.
- Open the Decluttr app or head to the “Start Selling” page on Decluttr’s website.
- Start searching for the products you own based on your device’s model or your product’s barcode. We recommend using the Decluttr app, so you can scan barcodes instead of typing them out. However, you will need to use the website if you’ll be selling LEGO blocks, as this option doesn’t currently exist on the smartphone app.
- Once you find a listing that matches a product you own, select it. If it’s a technology item, you’ll need to follow the prompts to accurately select the product’s condition and complete any additional fields, then review the final offer price and tap “Sell This Device.”
- If you have additional items to sell, simply continue searching on desktop. On the mobile app, you’ll need to tap the phone icon or the CD icon (both with plus signs) on the top right corner to continue searching by device or by barcode, respectively. You can include up to 500 items in one transaction.
- When ready to check out, head to the “Basket” section. This is located on the top right hand side of the website and the app menu.
- Tap “Complete Order.” If you haven’t already, follow the prompt to create an account or log in.
- Select your desired method of payment. Sellers can receive payment via direct deposit, PayPal, or check. You also can choose to donate your earnings directly to approved charities, which currently are FilmAid, Habitat for Humanity, and Toys for Tots.
- Follow prompts to continue until you reach the “Order Confirmation” page. Add in your mailing address if you haven’t already, then make sure to take note of the organization listed under “Your Send Option.” This denotes where you’ll need to drop off your package.
- Select “Confirm Order.”
- You should receive an email with an attachment that includes shipping details. This attachment will tell you the weight limit of each package you send (you can split it into multiple packages if needed) and include your shipping label. Print that shipping label and put together your packages.
- Drop off your package with the designated service.
While you wait for your payment, you can check the status of your delivery in the “My Account” section. Typically, your package is received by Decluttr’s warehouse within a few days. Once it’s received, the company’s experts will review your items to ensure your quality estimates are accurate and you’ll receive payment by the next day.
In the event that your items are not determined to meet the company’s standards, you’ll receive a revised offer and a timeline to accept or reject it. Tech items can be returned to you free of charge if you reject a revised offer or if your product is deemed unacceptable.
Frequently Asked Questions
Using Decluttr is an easy and trusted way to get extra cash, especially when you have unused devices collecting dust. Here are some answers to frequently asked questions to help you better understand the process.
1. When selling my used devices, how do I know my data is secure?
Decluttr states that its experts will clear your data safely and responsibly dispose of any SIM or memory cards to ensure your data won’t be stolen. The company also requires you to remove your iCloud account from Apple products before you sell them. That said, we still recommend doing a factory reset and wiping data off your laptop or any other device before you ship it in.
2. What happens if my package gets lost in the mail?
Understanding that delivery services aren’t strangers to losing items in transit, Decluttr fully insures every delivery. This means that even if your expensive, high-quality cell phone doesn’t make it to the facility, you’ll be covered by the company’s insurance.
3. Can I earn bonuses on Decluttr?
You sure can. Decluttr offers three ways for you to make even more money. First, you can refer a friend, which gives both of you an additional $5 on your next sale. Second, you can receive a 10% bonus when you register as a student. Third, you can browse through the site’s current coupon codes to add money to your offer price.
Trade In Your Tech to Earn Money
Decluttr is a legitimate platform that offers an efficient buy-and-sell marketplace for used technology and media. By using the service, you can earn money every time you upgrade your phone — and finally get rid of your old iPods and CDs without the guilt. For more ideas on how to make extra cash, be sure to check out this guide on great side gigs that you can do in your spare time.
No spam, just stories.
Subscribe to the Gigworker.com newsletter and never miss a gig-economy story.
*We don't spam, we promise.