Are you looking for a lucrative side hustle?
As more people turn to side hustles to earn extra income, delivery jobs are an increasingly popular solution.
According to an aggregate study of industry trends, the platform-to-consumer delivery industry will grow an additional $22 billion over the next five years.
As with most gig economy sectors, food delivery will likely become a profitable sector for many.
Use this guide to the best food delivery services to find the perfect side hustle to complement—or supplement— your income.
- The Best Food Delivery Service to Work For (Overview)
- An Overview of the Best Food Delivery Services to Work For
- The Best Food Delivery Services to Work For at a Glance
- Features to Look for In Food Delivery Services
- Best Food Delivery Services to Work For Our Top 3 Options [Ranked & Reviewed]
- Notable Mentions: Notable Mentions: Other Food Delivery Services to Work For
- Other Companies Relevant to Food Delivery Services
- Wrapping Up
The Best Food Delivery Service to Work For (Overview)
We’ve included an overview of our top picks below. For detailed information on each pick, scroll down.
An Overview of the Best Food Delivery Services to Work For
Over the last several years, the food delivery sector has grown an average of 9.2% per year—a dramatic figure compared to most other industries.
As a result, delivery apps have been scrambling to find new employees, offering competitive pay and perks.
What is a Food Delivery Service to Work For?
Food delivery services are platforms that connect restaurants and food suppliers to consumers by employing contracted workers to facilitate deliveries.
Food delivery services are part of the sharing economy, where peer-to-peer transactions replace traditional exchange models.
Many food delivery platforms include Grubhub, Uber Eats, Instacart, DoorDash, and more.
Most function similarly: workers join the platform, learn the basics of food delivery, and work on their schedules, earning commissions from each delivery rather than a fixed salary.
Why are Food Delivery Services Work For Important?
Food delivery services are gig workers. The definition of a gig worker is a person who freelances and works on short-term projects or in temporary partnerships.
Gig work contributes greatly to the economy and offers unprecedented opportunities for people to earn money on their own terms.
Food delivery serves typically allow employees to work whenever they want to, offering more personal and financial freedom.
Other benefits include:
- Flexible pay
- Flexible schedule
- Significant additional income
- Earning tips
- Additional perks (discounts, benefits, etc.)
Do I Need a Food Delivery Service to Work For?
Working for a food delivery service can present many unique opportunities.
First, most food delivery platforms employ contracted, independent workers.
This means you can set your own schedule and work when you want.
You have complete control over your schedule, earnings, and deliveries.
Food delivery service jobs are ideal for:
- Full-time parents
- People with part-time jobs
- Those seeking side hustles
- Entrepreneurs, artists, and low-wage workers
The Best Food Delivery Services to Work For at a Glance
If you don’t have time to read the entire article, consider glancing through our round-up of the best food delivery services to work for.
If you decide which side gig to choose, consider starting with one of the platforms below.
What is the Best Food Delivery Service to Work For?
The best food delivery service to work for is Uber Eats.
Uber delivery drivers tend to earn more income per run than others, and the Uber app is backed by a robust, reliable company and support team.
Additionally, Uber Eats operates in most states and many nations worldwide, so you can work from anywhere, anytime.
What is the Highest Paid Food Delivery Service?
Instacart is the highest paid food delivery service.
Instacart is an app that pays you to run groceries for customers.
The company typically offers higher pay than its competitors since the work is slightly more demanding.
Instacart is an excellent food delivery service to work for because work is relatively consistent, pay is high, and competition is low.
You can work whenever and wherever you want to, and you can even qualify for instant cash out.
Features to Look for In Food Delivery Services
Many people jump on the first opportunity to earn additional income.
However, you may have better luck assessing which features matter to you most in a delivery job.
Consider the following top features in food delivery services before deciding.
1. Requirements for Entry
Although food delivery companies are known for having relatively low barriers to entry, it’s essential to consider some of the most common application requirements.
Most companies on this list require the following:
- Proof that you are 18 or older
- Access to a car, bike, scooter, or other modes of transportation
- A valid driver’s license
- Proof of insurance
- Evidence of a vehicle (varies)
Some companies may require additional paperwork, so keep this in mind as you navigate applications.
Once you know your eligibility, pay is the next most important factor when choosing a food delivery job.
Each company offers a different payment structure and payout methods.
For example, DoorDash offers a base pay between $2–$10 and tips.
DoorDash also allows you to cash out instantly, though you may incur a charge.
Pay structures are highlighted under each review below.
3. Worker Incentives & Perks
Some companies offer additional incentives and bonuses.
For example, Uber occasionally offers challenges and rewards to drivers who complete them.
Shipt shoppers get a free Shipt membership.
Consider any additional perks you stand to gain from your new delivery job—particularly if you often order from the company you work for.
4. Support Services
When working in food delivery, you will undoubtedly come across some issues.
Whether it’s a customer complaint or car trouble, unexpected challenges happen to everyone.
That’s why it’s essential to have a robust worker support system to back you up in case of an issue.
Consider which companies offer comprehensive support to their employees and how many communication channels are available.
It’s always a good idea to read the fine print to learn more about how the company can protect you in case of a problem.
5. Job Demands
Some apps require you to gather and deliver groceries, while others strictly offer prepared food pickup.
Consider the difficulty, movement, and expertise needed to perform each job, and choose one that aligns with your abilities, needs, and interests.
Additionally, some jobs may have work time requirements or maximums.
For example, Instacart only allows employees to work 29 hours a week for legal purposes.
Consider the demands of the job before signing on.
Best Food Delivery Services to Work For Our Top 3 Options [Ranked & Reviewed]
With so many delivery services in the industry, it can take time to discern which are best to work for.
From Uber Eats to Saucey, we’ve evaluated, ranked, and reviewed the best companies today, so you don’t have to waste time experimenting with different options.
Uber Eats – Our Pick
Launched in 2014, Uber Eats is now one of the world’s best gig apps for food delivery.
Users can order prepared food, groceries, or convenience store goods from the Uber Eats app.
Uber Eats is the best food delivery service to work for because this company offers competitive pay, excellent perks, high-quality worker support, and an accessible and beginner-friendly business model.
Key Features of Uber Eats
Consider the main features of Uber Eats before making your decision.
- Competitive Pay: Uber Eats pays drivers between $12-$29 an hour, though many users report receiving higher pay. This is highly competitive compared to other food delivery apps.
- Bonuses and Perks: Each driver earns points on every delivery, and you can add those points up for financial rewards. Uber also recently announced additional benefits like paid tuition, cash back on gas, and more.
- Worker Support: Uber Eats is backed by rideshare giant Uber so you can count on the quality of worker support options. The support team is knowledgeable and responsive, and Uber tends to care well for its employees.
- Flexible Scheduling: With Uber Eats, you can start and finish working whenever and wherever you want to.
- Flexible Requirements: Application requirements are relatively flexible, and barriers to entry are low. You can work with a car, bike, moped, or scooter.
Pros of Uber Eats
There are many benefits to working for Uber Eats. Some include:
- Flexibility: Uber is a lenient company. You can use a car or a bike, bring a friend along while you complete deliveries, and start and finish work whenever you want to.
- Incentives: Uber offers several different incentive programs like Quest, which allows you to complete challenges, and Boost, which multiplies your earnings during select times.
- Instant Cash Out: Uber Eats allows you to cash out immediately for a relatively low fee ($0.50). Alternatively, you can sign up for the Uber Visa Card and draw cash for free.
Cons of Uber Eats
There are drawbacks to consider when working for Uber Eats. These may include:
- Competition: Since Uber Eats is so popular, you may occasionally face competition from other drivers. This shouldn’t be a problem in most cities, though it is something to keep in mind.
- Identity Verification: While driving with Uber, you may have to enable facial recognition and periodically allow Uber to verify your identity. Uber Eats has also occasionally implemented additional security measures to demonstrate health and safety, like requiring proof of masks.
- Refigured Pay: Uber Eats’ pay structure can be confusing, and you may encounter refigured pay after completing an order.
Uber Eats Income
Uber Eats employees typically earn more than the average food delivery driver.
Although it is challenging to calculate average pay since each employee works different hours, jobs, and cities, the average worker earns between $12 and $29 an hour.
Many employees report earning more than this amount, and incentives and boosts may maximize your earnings.
Conclusion: Should You Choose Uber Eats?
Uber Eats is an excellent food delivery service for anyone needing additional income.
With this company, you can benefit from a flexible schedule, higher-than-average pay, an excellent incentive structure, and multiple avenues of support and advancement.
You can even choose to participate in Uber’s rideshare program!
DoorDash – Runner-Up
DoorDash is a San Francisco-based food delivery platform founded in 2013.
This platform is among the most popular for food delivery workers since DoorDash typically pays higher-than-average wages and offers many employee perks and bonuses that other companies do not.
To work at DoorDash, you must be 18 years old and have a vehicle, bike, or scooter.
Key Features of DoorDash
DoorDash offers several vital features that distinguish it from other food delivery platforms.
- Dasher Pay Model: DoorDash’s pay model is simple, straightforward, and advantageous. Employees earn between $2–$10 per order plus tips, which is more than most apps offer.
- Instant Cash Out: Like Uber Eats, DoorDash allows you to cash out instantly, which is an advantage if you’re strapped for cash and need a quick fix.
- Flexible Schedule: With DoorDash, you can schedule hours in advance or drive when you want to. You can also turn orders down without penalty.
- Worker Support: DoorDash is known for its attention to employees; if you encounter any problems, the chat is highly responsive.
- Additional Perks: With DoorDash, you can earn peak pay and special bonuses. Additionally, you receive a handy insulated bag upon signup!
Pros of DoorDash
DoorDash offers several unmatched perks. Consider the following:
- High Income: DoorDash offers competitive pay compared to other apps. You also get to keep 100% of your tips!
- No-Contact Delivery: DoorDash strictly uses no-contact delivery, so this is an excellent option for introverts (and maximizing time).
- Widely Available: DoorDash is available in most major cities and towns across the United States, so you will likely find orders nearby. DoorDash also operates in Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.
Cons of DoorDash
There are several drawbacks to using DoorDash. Consider the following:
- Variable Pay: With DoorDash, you aren’t guaranteed a certain amount per hour, so your payments may vary considerably.
- Limited Channels of Support: DoorDash only uses a live chat feature for worker support, so you can’t call them. However, the live chat is highly responsive.
- Scheduling Limitations: You will not be able to work if there are few orders on the app and too many drivers (unless you have signed up in advance).
Drivers on DoorDash typically average between $22–$25 an hour.
This is more than most food delivery drivers make on other platforms, and drivers often earn additional money from tips, peak pay, and incentives.
Many drivers also report earning more than the average.
Conclusion: Should You Choose DoorDash?
DoorDash is an excellent choice for most prospective food delivery drivers.
This company cares deeply about its employees and offers competitive pay, consistent work, and flexible scheduling options.
DoorDash also allows you to bring friends along when you make deliveries, so you can socialize while you work and enlist help from your friends!
Grubhub – Also Great
Grubhub is a subsidiary of food delivery giant Just Eat Takeaway.com.
This food delivery service operates in over 4,000 cities across the United States and partners with 225,000 restaurants.
Grubhub has been around since the beginning of food delivery apps—the company emerged in 2004 and has dominated the market ever since.
Working for Grubhub is ideal for those seeking more stability since it offers more advanced scheduling options than other apps.
Key Features of Grubhub
Grubhub is a highly-rated food delivery service that boasts the following features:
- Easy to Use App: Grubhub offers one of the most accessible driver apps in the industry, making it easy to get started and even easier to earn money right away.
- Responsive Support Team: Grubhub offers responsive phone support channels so you won’t be left without help in an emergency.
- More Structured Scheduling: Grubhub allows you to claim work ahead of time and view the details of every order so that you can make informed decisions.
- Beginner-Friendly Onboarding: Grubhub offers more onboarding and training than other companies, allowing you to build skills and improve your practice.
- Free Gear: Grubhub sends you free gear and car decals, so you are ready to start.
Pros of Grubhub
There are many advantages to working for Grubhub, including the following.
- Live Phone Support: With Grubhub, you can take advantage of live phone support, ensuring that none of your questions will go unanswered.
- More Scheduling Options: Grubhub offers more scheduling options than other apps. You can schedule ahead of time and see detailed information about each order before accepting it.
- High Default Tips: Grubhub’s pay is slightly lower than other companies’ default tips, which are preset at 15%, encouraging customers to tip higher.
Cons of Grubhub
There are several drawbacks to working with Grubhub, including the following:
- Tighter Schedule and Location: With Grubhub, you must sign up to deliver ahead of time and register for specific delivery locations.
- Less Popular Than Leading Apps: Grubhub is now more popular than other apps, so you may have a more challenging time claiming orders.
- Few Incentives: Grubhub offers few incentives to delivery drivers, so don’t expect many bonuses as you would with Uber Eats.
Grubhub drivers typically earn between $12 to $15 per hour.
However, this figure does not necessarily factor in tips and peak pay; your income may vary depending on where you are driving and when.
Consider working for several weeks to estimate your average pay.
Conclusion: Should You Choose Grubhub?
Grubhub is an excellent option for delivery drivers seeking a more predictable schedule and payment option.
Grubhub’s application requirements are relatively easy to meet.
You will likely get hired if you are over 19 years old and have a way to get around. Just keep in mind that you must register within a specific area.
Notable Mentions: Notable Mentions: Other Food Delivery Services to Work For
If you haven’t yet found your ideal food delivery service to work for, consider some of our additional options below.
From Caviar and InstaCart to Shipt and GoPuff, the following food delivery apps are highly rated and offer many competitive perks and features.
Caviar – Best for Beginners
Caviar is a food delivery service that operates in most U.S. states.
As you can guess from its name, this company was once a high-end restaurant delivery app, but today you can find plenty of options on Caviar.
In 2019, DoorDash acquired the company and diversified its business model.
Working for Caviar is a lot like working for DoorDash.
You can benefit from the same pay structure, transparent order details, and more.
Why is Caviar a Great Option?
Caviar is an excellent option for extra work since this food delivery app uses the same business model as DoorDash.
You can earn between $15–$25 an hour working for Caviar, and since the delivery areas are smaller than most, you won’t have to travel far.
Caviar also offers excellent promotions to incentivize drivers.
Additionally, Caviar allows you to view the details of each order before you claim it, and you won’t be penalized for rejecting demands.
Caviar is an excellent option for beginners since you don’t have to show proof of driving experience to sign up—though you will need a license.
Drawbacks to Caviar
Since Caviar has stopped delivering from high-end establishments, pay is relatively lower than it used to be.
However, you can still enjoy higher-than-average pay thanks to DoorDash’s acquisition.
Caviar offers less flexibility than other apps since you have to schedule your hours ahead of time.
Additionally, Caviar requires you to show proof of auto insurance if you plan to drive.
Most Caviar drivers earn between $12–$15 an hour, though this figure is relatively modest.
You will likely make more than this amount with additional perks and tips.
Your pay will also depend on how often you drive and which deliveries you accept.
Ultimately, Caviar offers more competitive pay than most similar services, which is an excellent choice for beginner delivery drivers.
Instacart – Highest Income
Instacart is a grocery delivery service that launched in 2012.
This app has quickly become the world’s most popular grocery delivery service, and working for InstaCart is widely considered one of the best side gigs.
This company offers highly competitive pay, unmatched flexibility, and many perks. You can schedule your work in advance and enjoy excellent worker support.
Why is Instacart a Great Option?
Instacart offers unmatched income compared to other food delivery services.
You can make between $20 to $25 an hour, though this is a modest estimate.
Instacart values its employees, ensuring that you obtain appropriate onboarding, training, and support before and throughout your time with the company.
Scheduling is highly flexible and dependable, so you can map your hours out, ensuring that you won’t go without work.
Drawbacks to Instacart
There are a few drawbacks to working with Instacart. However, you may encounter some issues.
First, the company limits employees to working 29 hours a week, which can reduce the income you stand to earn.
Additionally, the work is more demanding than it is on other apps since you have to carry up to 50 lbs. to qualify for Instacart.
Lastly, jobs with Instacart are in higher demand than others so you may face higher barriers to entry.
Instacart drivers allegedly make between $20 and $25 an hour, though you may earn more than this with tips and bonuses.
Additionally, income is more dependable with a company like Instacart because you can schedule your hours and calculate how much you stand to earn ahead of time.
Income may also vary depending on the position you choose.
Shipt – Most Time-Efficient
Shipt is an on-demand grocery delivery service founded in 2014.
The company was initially a membership-only platform but has since expanded to allow non-members to join.
Shipt is an excellent company to work for since it offers high pay and flexible work hours.
Why is Shipt a Great Option?
Shipt is an excellent option for those with little time.
That’s because this company allows you to double down on work, shopping for multiple orders at once.
As a result, you can earn more money from working less, which is an advantage for those pressed for time.
Like other apps, Shipt allows you to view the details of an order before claiming it, so you don’t have to waste time on small orders.
Drawbacks to Shipt
Although Shipt is an excellent company to work for, you may need help with the app, which can sometimes be unreliable.
Additionally, Shipt shopping is more rigorous work than delivery driving since you have to lift heavy objects and transport bags of groceries.
Lastly, Shipt does not allow you to bring anyone else, and the service is only available in some areas.
Shipt shoppers typically earn between $15 and $25 an hour, though the pay may vary depending on where you are, which orders you claim, and how often you work.
Shipt’s payment structure is very complicated and kept secret, so it may be difficult to estimate how much you will earn.
Keep in mind that you need to have insulated cooler bags and a vehicle dated after 1997.
Consider factoring that into your budget if you need to purchase these things.
GoPuff – Best for Short Deliveries
GoPuff is an all-in-one delivery app for miscellaneous items like groceries, cleaning supplies, home products, essentials, medication, and assorted items.
This company differs from most food delivery apps since items are kept in company warehouses and prepared ahead of time.
This makes it easier for drivers to simply pick up the pre-prepared order without gathering items.
Why is GoPuff a Great Option?
GoPuff is an ideal option for those who wish to save on gas and drive minimally.
The company keeps all items in select warehouses, so you only have to drive back to one location.
All deliveries are within 30 miles of each warehouse.
GoPuff offers guaranteed minimum pay, so you can estimate how much you stand to earn, and the company continues to expand so that you may make more over time.
Drawbacks to GoPuff
GoPuff pays less than other food delivery apps, and tips tend to drop since customers know drivers are not responsible for gathering items.
This service only operates in 1,000 cities, so it may not be available in your area.
Additionally, customers are permitted to pay in cash, which can be dangerous for lone drivers.
GoPuff pays less than its competitors, averaging $10 to $15 an hour.
Although you earn less pay, working for GoPuff requires less effort and gas mileage than other delivery jobs.
Drivers also receive a commission and 100% of their earned tips for each order.
GoPuff income may vary depending on your work schedule, additional perks, and tips, as with other food delivery services.
Favor – Most Flexible
Favor is an all-in-one delivery service that delivers food, home goods, cleaning supplies, groceries, and even dry cleaning.
This app is famous for its versatility, and the company offers flexible work options for every employee.
Why is Favor a Great Option?
Favor is an ideal option for those seeking flexibility and consistency.
Favor allows you to choose between working full-time and part-time, and you can select daily pay if you need the income now.
Favor also offers plenty of incentives to its employees to encourage them to stick around.
With Favor, you can work whenever you want to—no need to schedule ahead.
Drawbacks to Favor
There are several drawbacks to using Favor that may impact your decision.
First, Favor is operating in Texas and select cities across the Midwest.
If you don’t live in those areas, you may wish to consider something else.
Additionally, Favor offers lower pay than average, and you may not use a bicycle if you plan to work with Favor.
With Favor, employees typically earn between $10 and $14 an hour, though this figure does not account for tips, bonuses, and additional earnings.
Additionally, once Favor expands, employee income may vary by area.
If you plan to work for Favor, factor in the amount you may have to pay on gas for a more precise estimate of your income.
Saucey – Best for Night Owls
Saucey is an alcohol delivery service that delivers wine, beer, spirits, tobacco, and snacks.
This company operates out of select cities across the United States but is rapidly expanding.
Saucey can be an excellent alternative for those seeking a nighttime side hustle or extra work on weekends and holidays.
Why is Saucey a Great Option?
Saucey is an ideal option for those seeking to work at night or during holidays and weekends.
You can double up on delivery apps with Saucey and earn more when other drivers are out of work.
Saucey guarantees minimum pay and doesn’t require you to shop extensively or carry heavy bags.
Lastly, Saucey allows you to view the details of your order so that you can choose accordingly.
Drawbacks to Saucey
Saucey only operates in 40 cities, so you may have to wait to sign up.
Additionally, you must pass a background check to qualify, and you will have to check customer IDs before handing off each order.
Lastly, you cannot instantly withdraw your money from the app.
Saucey offers between $12 and $15 an hour, which is lower than average.
You may earn more depending on tips and additional perks, but your earnings may vary daily.
You are more likely to earn extra income on weekends, holidays, and at night, so this is an excellent app to pair with a food delivery service.
Other Companies Relevant to Food Delivery Services
If you enjoyed this article, consider exploring other companies relevant to food delivery services.
The following articles can save you time and money searching for the perfect side hustle, and the companies detailed here offer competitive pay and many additional benefits.
- Best Gig Economy Platforms: If you are looking for an efficient way to earn additional income, consider exploring the best gig economy platforms. With so many to choose from, you’re sure to find one that fits your needs.
- Delivery Services That Take Cash: Whether looking for a side gig or your next meal, learning about delivery services that take cash can allow you to make more informed decisions.
- Top Delivery Apps: If you found this helpful article, read this roundup of the all-around best delivery apps. Save yourself time and money with quick, informative reviews.
Food delivery service work is one of the best possible side hustles.
With unparalleled flexibility, competitive pay, and trim work, you can save for your next vacation or nest egg immediately.
Consider working with Uber Eats for substantive income, ample benefits, and responsive support, or choose DoorDash or Instacart to earn the most.
Ultimately, you can’t go wrong with any company on this list, so get started to earn immediately.