Thanks to the gig economy, there are now more ways than ever to make a living.
It’s no longer necessary to confine yourself to a nine to five job.
And for many people, this means more freedom and flexibility than ever before.
However, one of the downsides to all these opportunities is that it can be difficult to know which gig economy job is best for you.
Do you want to be a writer?
A bicycle delivery person?
The number of options is dizzying, and the only real way to know which one is best for you is to try a few out and see how you feel.
However, to help save you some time, we’re going to give you a detailed description of one of the more popular gigs out there.
GoPuff is a new company that is growing quickly, and you can work for them as a freelance delivery driver.
So, to help you figure out if this is the right place to work for you, read on to learn everything you need to know about becoming a GoPuff worker.
- What Is GoPuff?
- How to Work For GoPuff
- How to Become a GoPuff Driver
- What Is It Like Being a GoPuff Driver?
- How Much Money Do You Make as a GoPuff Driver?
- What Are the Benefits to Driving for GoPuff?
- What Are Some of the Downsides?
What Is GoPuff?
Before going too far into what it’s like to work for GoPuff, let’s take a second to discuss what GoPuff actually is.
GoPuff is, in their words, “the world’s first digital convenience retailer.”
It was started by two students who were attending Drexel University in Philadelphia.
They used to have parties in their townhouse, and one day it dawned on them that throwing parties required far too many trips to the store.
From this, they launched GoPuff, which delivers convenience items, ranging from snacks, drinks, cleaning products, personal hygiene items, beer, vape juice, over the counter medicines, and much more, right to your door.
Everything is run through the GoPuff app or desktop website.
To order, all you need to do is scroll through their catalog and choose what you want.
In most cities, especially the larger ones, GoPuff is open 24/7.
Newer markets may have more limited hours, but if this is the case, then they will most likely adopt a round the clock schedule soon.
Overall, GoPuff distinguishes itself in two ways:
- It establishes warehouses in the cities where it operates. This means delivery drivers don’t have to go somewhere to pick up a customer’s order like they would with Postmates or Instacart. They simply grab it from the warehouse and bring it right to whoever ordered it, reducing delivery times. In fact, GoPuff guarantees that all deliveries will be made within 30 minutes of ordering.
- It charges a flat delivery fee. It’s always $1.95 per delivery, no matter how much you order, or when you order it. There’s no such thing as surge pricing in the world of GoPuff. This could be seen as a plus or a minus for delivery drivers.
Right now, GoPuff operates in most major markets in the United States, as well as some smaller cities, mainly those with a big college.
So if you live near a major university, chances are, GoPuff is in your area.
Some of the larger areas include: Boston, Portland, Lafayette, Athens, Bloomington, Fort Collins, Tucson, Denver, Syracuse, State College, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Phoenix, Austin, Columbus, Cleveland, Charlottesville, Champaign, Flagstaff, Madison, Dayton, Richmond, Winston-Salem, and many more.
How to Work For GoPuff
If you like the idea of GoPuff, and you’re looking for some ways to make some extra cash, then you might be interested in learning more about how to work for GoPuff.
For those looking for a more traditional job, GoPuff is frequently hiring people to work in their warehouses.
You can find postings for these jobs by looking on major job boards such as Indeed and Glassdoor.
You could also look for positions available in their corporate offices.
However, for anyone interested in a job that allows you to work when and how much you want, then your best bet is probably going to be working for GoPuff as a delivery driver.
Below you’ll find everything you need to know about working for GoPuff as a driver.
Should you be interested in becoming a GoPuff driver, take comfort knowing that the process is pretty simple.
The first thing you should do, though, is check to make sure GoPuff is hiring in your area.
You can do this by checking their jobs board, which can be found here.
If you find an open position in your city, then all you need to do is apply.
Initially, all you will have to do is provide a bit of information about yourself, such as your name, email address, and phone number.
Additionally, you will be asked to answer a few simple questions.
To save you a step, we’ve copied these questions from the GoPuff website.
- Are you at least 21 years old?
- Do you have a valid driver’s license?
- Do you have access to a vehicle in which you are listed as an “Insured” or “Covered” driver?
- This position requires showing up on time at our location for your scheduled shift. Do you understand this?
- Does your phone meet these minimum requirements? Android Version 4.4.2 + 1 GB Ram or iOS 10.1 + iPhone 5s+
Assuming you answer yes to all of these questions, then you can submit your application.
Someone from GoPuff will contact you to confirm your application and to help you get set up.
However, you should know that there are other requirements for being a GoPuff driver.
Some of these are repeats from above, but to make sure you’re clear about what’s expected of you, here’s a list of all the requirements for driving for GoPuff.
- Have a high school degree or equivalent
- Have a valid driver’s license
- Be at least 21 years old
- Know how to use a GPS
- Have knowledge of the area in which you’re applying to be a driver (although GoPuff does say this is a “plus,” so it’s possible to be hired without it)
What Is It Like Being a GoPuff Driver?
Now that you know what GoPuff is all about, and now that you understand what’s required of you to become a driver, you may be interested in what it’s like to actually do this job.
Overall, the job itself is pretty similar to most other delivery positions.
Here’s a snapshot of what driving for GoPuff is like:
Signing Up For Shifts
When you’ve been hired, the first thing you will need to do is go into the app and sign up for some shifts.
You’ll be able to choose from those that are available, but remember that you’re expected to show up when you sign up, so only agree to work if you’re 100 percent sure you can.
Failure to show up to your shifts could result in termination, or you may be given fewer shift options to choose from.
As a result, the best thing to do is sign up for when you’re free and make sure you’re there.
Starting Your Shift
Once you’ve signed up, the next thing to do is show up at the warehouse at your scheduled time.
You’ll need to check in via the GoPuff app so that your shift gets recorded and you get paid.
After you’ve signed in, all you need to do is wait until your orders are ready.
You do not need to worry about packing orders.
As they come in, warehouse workers will pull the items off the shelves and put them in bags.
When the bags are ready, they will put them in a bin.
Then, someone will call out your name and tell you how many bags you’ve got to deliver and in which bin you can find them.
Make The Delivery
At this point, you grab the bags from your bin and go to your car.
All the information you need about where to deliver the items will be sent to your phone.
You can use the GPS that’s integrated in the app, or you can copy the addresses and put them into Google Maps or Waze.
When you get to the customer, you’ll probably have to call them (the number will also be in the app) to let them know you’ve arrived.
They’ll come meet you, and once you have them sign for their order, you’re all set.
**One thing to point out is that you will need to check people’s IDs if they order alcoholic beverages.
You’ll need to scan it on the app, so don’t skip this step!**
Return and Repeat, or Head On Home
After all this is done, if you still have time on your shift, you go back to the warehouse and wait for more orders to come in so that you can repeat the process.
If your shift is over, then it’s quittin’ time. Head home and do something fun.
As is the case with most delivery jobs, things are pretty straightforward.
But the GoPuff app makes things even easier, which is a good thing for everyone.
How Much Money Do You Make as a GoPuff Driver?
Okay, now the question that’s on everyone’s mind: how much money can you make working for GoPuff?
As with all freelancer jobs, how much you make will depend on how much you work.
GoPuff advertises that you can make upwards of $15 per hour, but we thought it more helpful to break down how you get paid while working as a driver.
There are three different ways you get paid:
- You show up for your shift. The money you earn for showing up is called your “Bank” payment, and it depends on how long your shift actually is. To give you an idea, the “Bank” payment for a four-hour shift is $35.
- You make a delivery. GoPuff pays you a small percentage of every delivery. This number is tough to estimate, though, for it depends on the size of the order, as well as how far you have to go to make the delivery. However, you will never need to go more than 30 minutes from the warehouse, as this is GoPuff’s policy.
- You get tips. Customers are allowed, and encouraged, to tip you when you make a delivery, and this money is entirely yours. People can tip in the app using their credit cards. This money gets added to your paychecks automatically. But they can also tip in cash, which you don’t need to report to GoPuff, only to the relevant tax authorities.
You will be paid once a week, assuming you work, and payments are made via direct deposit, which you will need to set up once you are hired and begin using the app.
Again, the exact amount you will make depends on how much you work.
But no matter how many hours you decide to deliver, there is money to be made.
Fifteen dollars an hour is no joke.
What Are the Benefits to Driving for GoPuff?
Some of the upsides of GoPuff are self-evident, but if you’re still on the fence, here are some of the most important:
- Work as much or as little as you want. That means you can be full-time or part-time.
- Choose your own schedule (work in the middle of the night, or all day. It’s up to you!),
- Get to know the city around you.
- Make some extra cash.
- Freedom and autonomy (no boss peering over your shoulder).
This job is great for anyone who owns or who has access to a car that is looking for some ways to make extra cash.
What Are Some of the Downsides?
Like any job, working this job isn’t all fun and games.
Generally speaking, though, the downsides of this job aren’t all that bad.
But just so you know what you’re getting into, understand that:
- You will be driving for most of your shift. If you’re not comfortable, or if you don’t like driving, this might not be the best job for you.
- You’ll be working mostly by yourself. For some, this means no annoying coworkers, whereas for others it means hours of solitude.
- You’ll be responsible for car maintenance. Since you are an independent contractor and have to drive your own car, you’ll be footing the maintenance bill. The more you drive, the more wear and tear you’ll put on your car, so keep that in mind when considering a job with GoPuff, as you are the one who will need to pay for any issues that arise.
- Insurance is tricky. GoPuff provides commercial liability insurance, which should cover most issues. But some personal insurance policies won’t provide coverage when you use your vehicle for work, so make sure you’re clear on your status before going too far working as a delivery driver.
As we said, the disadvantages of this job are minimal.
But they are there.
Decide for yourself if they are manageable before signing up to be a GoPuff driver.
Overall, GoPuff is a great way to make some extra money in a flexible work environment.
The power to choose your own hours is tough to beat, and as a growing company, we can only expect more from GoPuff as time goes on.
If this is something that interests you, then check out GoPuff and start driving today.