Are you looking for a car for your upcoming trip and have come across Turo, but you’re having second thoughts about trying it out?
We understand your doubts. Turo is like an ‘Airbnb’ for cars, and since the company follows a similar model, you probably have many questions about it.
So, is Turo legit? In this Turo review, you’ll find out everything.
We’ll provide you with all the information you need to know, so after reading this article, you’ll be well-informed and able to make your final decision.
- What is Turo?
- How Does Turo Work?
- Common Questions to Understand
- Is Turo Legit?
- Is Turo Reliable?
- Is Turo Safe?
- What Are Users Saying About Turo?
- Why Are People Worried About Using Turo?
- Turo Quality & Guarantees
- Does Turo Offer Customer Service?
- Conclusion: Is Turo Legit?
- Similar Gigs to Check Out
- Wrapping Up
What is Turo?
Turo is a company that operates within the sharing economy, serving as a car-sharing marketplace connecting vehicle owners with travelers in need of transportation.
Turo can assist you whether you want to rent out your car to generate additional income or choose the appropriate vehicle on a budget for any event.
Unlike conventional automobile rental companies, Turo provides a wide range of vehicles, ranging from 4x4s to sports cars and classics. If you’re lucky, you can also discover one-of-a-kind models that you won’t find anywhere else.
Turo was founded in 2009 in the USA and operates in other countries such as Canada, the UK, and Australia.
Turo now has more than 85,000 hosts, over 1 million active guests, and almost 200,000 vehicle listings.
How Does Turo Work?
With the help of Turo, car owners are now able to share their vehicles with those who require them.
Using the Turo app, owners can make their cars available for rent while setting their prices and availability.
Travelers can pick the perfect car for their vacation and their budget by searching for and making a reservation from a large selection of options available in different locations.
Throughout the rental term, Turo offers support and safety for hosts and guests, including insurance and roadside assistance.
As an alternative to using a traditional car rental agency, Turo provides guests, including those starting a car rental business, with an automobile in a more convenient and cost-effective way.
Common Questions to Understand
Turo is a popular platform for peer-to-peer car sharing but raises many questions. Here are some of the most common ones:
What Are the Requirements for Turo?
To get started, you have to create an account using your email, Facebook, or Apple ID. During the sign-up, authenticate your ID and submit basic information about yourself.
To legally rent out your vehicle, you must be at least 21 years old and have a driver’s license in good standing.
Guests from different countries can engage in the Turo app because an owner can use a driver’s license from any nation as long as it’s valid and not expired or suspended.
Additionally, the host must have an automobile that satisfies Turo’s standards.
The vehicle needs to be in running order, registered, and insured. It must be under 12 years old and have fewer than 130,000 miles (200,000 km) on it.
Furthermore, the owner must have car insurance while their vehicle is being rented out. Turo offers protection policies, but hosts can use their commercial rental insurance.
Lastly, be sure to have a legit payment method, such as a credit card, debit card, Apple Pay, or Google Pay.
For guests, remember to abide by the host’s restrictions for their automobile as well as Turo’s terms of service and cancellation policy.
Can Anybody Rent a Car From Turo?
Yes and no. Yes, because Turo is open to everyone who meets their basic standards, which include being at least 18 years old (or 21 in some countries), possessing a valid driver’s license, and passing a verification check.
No, because an owner may have additional restrictions for their cars, such as age limits, driving experience, or insurance coverage.
Furthermore, some vehicles may be unavailable in certain places or during certain seasons of the year.
Is Turo Legit?
Turo is legit in the sense that it’s a legal business that follows the laws of the countries in which it operates.
Moreover, it’s considered legit because its platform has millions of users who have successfully listed or rented automobiles.
They’ve been around since 2009 and have received more than $500 million in capital from investors like Google Ventures and IAC.
On the other hand, Turo isn’t without its risks and challenges. Dealing with strangers, insurance, liability, maintenance, taxes, and other concerns are all aspects of renting or listing a car on Turo.
In addition, it competes with other car-sharing platforms and traditional car rental firms that may offer lower rates or more amenities.
Turo copes with challenges and legal wranglings in some areas where its business model is being questioned by local governments or industry groups as well.
Nonetheless, here’s why Turo is legit:
1. Strict verification process
There’s a strict verification process in place for both hosts and guests. To sign up, you must enter your driver’s license, phone number, email address, and payment card verification.
They’ll also verify your driving history and identity to ensure that you’re eligible to use the service.
2. Insurance coverage and roadside assistance
Turo provides these services for trips. Depending on your budget and risk tolerance, you can select from three levels of insurance protection.
Turo also works with respected firms like Allstate and Liberty Mutual to provide emergency roadside assistance 24/7.
3. Wide selection of automobiles
Turo offers a diverse range of vehicles to meet your requirements. You can search for anything from a modest car to a luxury SUV and filter by features such as transmission, mileage, and amenities.
You can also pick up and drop off the automobile at locations such as airports, motels, or your host’s driveway.
4. A big community
Turo’s network of hosts and guests is accommodating and helpful. You can browse reviews and ratings from past users to get a sense of the automobile’s quality and the owner’s dependability.
You may also ask your host questions, make arrangements, and provide comments straight through the Turo app.
Is Turo Reliable?
Turo is not a scam; it’s a reliable alternative to a traditional car rental company.
They serve as a middleman between the host and the guest. They also offer insurance and customer support throughout the process.
Turo implements measures to ensure the reliability of the hosts and their automobiles and the safety of the guests.
The host needs to provide all of Turo’s requirements to help ensure that they’re responsible and experienced enough to offer a positive rental experience.
So, when considering whether or not Turo is worth it, these measures provide peace of mind.
Furthermore, Turo encourages transparency and accountability through reviews and ratings.
Guests can share their firsthand experiences and leave reviews as a reference for future renters and help them to make informed decisions.
Is Turo Safe?
Turo is safe to use and free from fraudulent transactions. They have a strict screening process for all users, especially for the hosts.
Turo requires the host to maintain their automobiles in good condition before they’re available for rent. There’s also roadside assistance for every trip, so the guest can drive with peace of mind.
However, safety also depends on the guests. They should always inspect the vehicle before and after the trip, and report any concerns or damage to Turo.
The guest must follow the host’s rules and guidelines, such as mileage limits, smoking policy, and return time. Of course, they should drive responsibly and obey all the traffic rules.
As long as the guests do thorough research and follow the best practices, they can have a safe and comfortable experience using Turo.
What Are Users Saying About Turo?
Hearing from both hosts and guests who have firsthand experience with Turo can provide significant insights into its strengths and flaws.
What Google Reviewers Liked About Turo
Turo is a car-sharing platform that has received 4.9 stars out of 5 based on 266,000 reviews on Google. Most of the reviews praise the company’s reliability and convenience.
- The hosts are professional: Most guests love how they communicate well to meet their needs and preferences. The hosts are courteous, friendly, skilled, and follow high standards. They also respond quickly and solve any problems.
- Easy transactions: The hosts and guests appreciate the simplicity and convenience of using the app. The instructions are clear and easy to follow, and the pick-up and drop-off are fast and smooth. The app is user-friendly and allows guests to browse and choose vehicles easily.
- Affordable car rental alternative: Turo offers competitive prices for car rentals. The reviewers compare the prices with traditional rental car services and find that Turo’s cheaper and more transparent.
What Trustpilot Reviewers Liked About Turo
Turo has been garnering significant praise and positive feedback from its customers.
With an impressive Trustpilot rating of 4.6 stars out of 5 by 32,832 reviews, Turo’s exceptional service has left a lasting impression on hosts and guests alike.
- Open communication: Reviewers love how Turo allows open communication between the hosts and guests. The hosts are praised for being helpful and responding punctually to questions and concerns. They’re very timely with information on the rental and offer additional help when needed.
- Flexible pick-up and drop-off: Reviewers love that they can choose a closer pick-up location that suits their convenience and can also arrange flexible pick-up and drop-off times that fit their schedules. They don’t have to worry about long lines or waiting times at the rental counter.
- Lower costs: Users claim that using Turo is cheaper than conventional car rentals, and they can save money on fees and deposits. They can also choose from a variety of cars according to their needs and preferences, from economy to luxury models.
Why Are People Worried About Using Turo?
Turo has received positive feedback from many customers. However, it’s not without its drawbacks.
Some users have reported experiencing problems that have resulted in dissatisfaction, hassle, and monetary loss.
What Google Reviewers Worried About
While Turo enjoys an overall high rating and is well-established in the car-sharing industry, some customers have expressed concerns and dissatisfaction.
The following are some of the issues raised by reviewers:
- Poor customer service: Many customers have reported dissatisfaction with Turo’s customer service. Challenges include difficulties in getting assistance in retrieving a car from a guest. Customers also expressed frustration with delayed responses, dropped chat sessions, and difficulty reaching a live agent by phone.
- Lack of guest protection: Guests have voiced disappointment when hosts cancel their orders at the last minute, causing them great inconvenience. Moreover, some customers feel that Turo prioritizes hosts over guests, and they’re asking for better protection in situations where car owners back out unexpectedly.
- Hidden fees and unexpected costs: Users have expressed dissatisfaction with Turo’s pricing, citing instances of deceptive practices by hosts. Some customers claimed to have encountered hidden charges during the checkout and faced difficulties disputing these fees.
What Trustpilot Reviewers Worried About
While Turo has received praise and commendations, there have been concerns and criticisms expressed by customers on Trustpilot. Here are some of the main concerns raised:
- Incompetent customer service: Customers have voiced frustration over the lack of accessible contact information, such as a phone number or email address. Instead, they must rely on a chat feature on the website or app, which is often slow and unresponsive.
- Account restriction without explanation: Many Turo users have reported their accounts being restricted without any clear explanation. Suddenly, they find themselves ineligible to access their accounts without receiving a satisfactory answer.
- Poor conflict resolution between hosts and guests: Turo has faced criticism for its inability to effectively mediate conflicts between hosts and guests. Hosts have expressed dissatisfaction with the lack of support and resolution, particularly when their vehicles are damaged. Guests complain that Turo allows hosts to impose additional fees unfairly.
Turo Quality & Guarantees
Turo’s commitment to quality standards is one of its main advantages.
They assure that all automobiles listed by hosts on the platform are clean, safe, and well-maintained. Regular inspections and audits are performed to ensure that these criteria are met.
Additionally, Turo allows renters to cancel trips and obtain reimbursements based on the cancellation policy of the host.
If renters have any problems throughout their rental period, they can request a refund, and Turo will review each case on an individual basis to ensure equitable outcomes.
Moreover, Turo offers profit guarantees and protection insurance to hosts. Hosts can choose the level of protection they want, including physical damage, theft, and liability coverage up to predetermined limits.
Furthermore, Turo guarantees hosts a minimum monthly income if they meet criteria such as availability, pricing, and ratings.
Lastly, Turo prioritizes fraud prevention and user security. A team of professionals monitors the site for fraudulent activity, protecting users from unwanted charges or transactions.
Does Turo Offer Customer Service?
Turo offers customer support to both hosts and visitors, however, some users have had difficulty contacting them or receiving satisfying results.
Turo’s website provides several options to contact their customer service staff, depending on the nature of your concern and its urgency.
You can use their online help center, chat with them through the app or website, call them at their phone number, or email them at [email protected].
However, some users have stated that these channels aren’t always dependable, with long delays, contradictory information, or a lack of follow-up from customer support employees.
As a result, if you want to use Turo as a host or a guest, this is a heads-up of the potential dangers and difficulties associated with communicating with Turo’s customer service staff.
What Customer Service Options Are Available?
The first option is to go to the Turo Support website, where you can get answers to frequently asked questions, articles on various topics, and user instructions. You can also use the website to submit a request or report an issue.
Your second option is to speak with a Turo Support representative online.
On the Turo website or app, tap the purple dialogue bubble at the bottom right of the screen to access the chat option. The chat service is accessible 24/7 to assist you with urgent situations or general inquiries.
The third option is to contact Turo Host Support by filling in a contact form.
This option is for hosts who need assistance with their listings, payouts, claims, or other hosting-related matters. You may expect a response from a Turo Host Support specialist within 24 hours.
Conclusion: Is Turo Legit?
Turo is a legitimate car-sharing company with millions of users and hundreds of thousands of vehicles listed globally.
However, customers should be aware of the risks and downsides of using Turo, such as variable automobile availability, damage and cancellation fees, possibilities for disputes and claims, and unresponsive customer service.
Before renting an automobile on Turo, customers should research, read the terms and conditions, verify the ratings and reviews, and communicate effectively with the host.
Similar Gigs to Check Out
Loved what you read? Check out these other amazing posts and learn more!
- Is Booking.com Legit?: Find out how Booking.com works, what guarantees it offers, and how to get the best deals on hotels, flights, and car rentals.
- Is Carvana Legit?: Learn how Carvana is revolutionizing the car buying experience with its online platform, 7-day return policy, and free delivery service.
- Is Carvertise Legit?: Discover how Carvertise can help you earn extra money by advertising your car, and what you need to know before signing up.
Turo is a legit and convenient way to rent a car, especially if you want to save money and try something different from traditional car renting.
But it also comes with some risks and challenges that you should be aware of before booking.
What do you think of Turo? Have you used it before or are you planning to try it soon? Let me know in the comments below.
And if you liked this article, please share it with your friends and family who might be interested in renting a car with Turo. Thank you for reading!