Did you know that enthusiastic collectors seek old Disney VHS tapes?
Since they’re no longer in production,having been produced from 1980 to 2006,these video cassettes can sell for decent prices, especially if they’re in mint condition.
If you have a stack of rare Disney VHS tapes in your storage, you might want to consider selling them to turn a profit.
However, it can be overwhelming if you have no idea where to start since you need to know which tapes are desired and how and where to sell them.
Don’t worry if that’s you—we have the solution. This article will tell you everything you need to sell Disney VHS tapes. Read on to learn more!
- How Much Are Disney VHS Tapes Worth?
- Why You Should Consider Selling Disney VHS Tapes
- Problems With Selling Disney VHS Tapes
- What You’ll Need to Sell Disney VHS Tapes
- Where to Sell Disney VHS Tapes
- How To Sell Disney VHS Tapes: Step-By-Step Instructions
- Things to Consider When Selling VHS Tapes
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Similar Tutorials to Check Out
- Wrapping Up
How Much Are Disney VHS Tapes Worth?
It depends on the tape.
Disney VHS tapes that aren’t worth much are the ones that were mass-produced and are still widely available today. These include tapes from the Masterpiece Collection and the Gold Collection. They usually sell for $10 on eBay or Amazon.
But here’s the thing: some VHS tapes are worth more than others.
The ones that attract the most attention are the Black Diamond tapes. They have a black diamond logo on the spine that says “The Classics” (The Lion King is a classic, for example). These tapes were released between 1984 and 1994.
Other expensive Disney VHS tapes include those with “controversial” covers (The Little Mermaid VHS tape—Google it for more information!), special editions, and misprints. They vary in their sale price, but some have been sold for thousands of dollars, especially those that were unopened.
But are they actually worth selling?
Well, yes, if you’re looking to make some extra bucks.
While eBay listings display the Black Diamond collection and controversial tapes as worth several hundred, most sell for less than $100.
That would be bad news if you thought collectible Disney VHS tapes could make you a fortune. There are more profitable business ventures we can help you with, though. Check out our How to Sell on Etsyand How to Sell on Amazon Without Inventoryguides.
But don’t be discouraged! Consider selling those valuable Disney VHS tapes you have sitting around. You can gain many things from it.
Why You Should Consider Selling Disney VHS Tapes
Selling Disney tapes has several merits, from making extra money on the side to learning many essential business practices.
- Investment Potential: While not all tapes are valuable, some Disney VHS tapes, especially those of the Black Diamond Collection, can appreciate over time and become highly sought-after by collectors. You can sell them for higher in the future.
- Useful Experience: Selling old VHS tapes will help you learn about online marketplaces, online marketing, and other essential skills that’ll come in handy when you decide to launch an online business.
- Environmental Benefit: Selling those classic Disney movies you no longer use can help reduce waste and save resources. Since you’re giving them a new home, they’re less likely to end up in landfills or incinerators.
- Extra Cash: Selling tapes can be a quick and easy way to earn extra cash. While most will fetch tens of dollars, a rare unopened Disney VHS tape can be worth a decent amount of money.
Problems With Selling Disney VHS Tapes
There’s money to be made in this gig if you have valuable VHS Disney movies. However, you’ll face several problems if you don’t know the value of your collection and are a beginner in the VHS movie collection scene.
- Price Inflation: The prices you see in eBay listings don’t reflect the actual worth of the tapes. While some rare unopened Disney VHS tapes can sell for several hundred, they’re usually few and far between. Most tapes sell for tens of dollars, which may go against your expectations.
- Fraudulent Sources: Sellers can prey on aspiring individuals looking for old Disney VHS movies with terms such as “IGS-Ready” (Investment Grade Services, a highly fraudulent service you should read about), “Rare Classic,” and “Banned Title.” These practices trick investors and enthusiasts alike into purchasing worthless tapes for a lot.
- Low Demand: Unless you have an unopened Disney Black Diamond collection VHS tape in mint condition, your old VHS tapes are probably worth little because they were mass-produced and are widely available. You’ll have difficulty finding buyers.
- Shipping Costs: You have to factor in shipping prices when selling online. These costs can be a deterrent.
- Competition: The VHS collection scene spiked in activity. This saturated online marketplaces with individuals looking to cash on this trend, making selling vintage VHS tapes challenging.
What You’ll Need to Sell Disney VHS Tapes
You don’t need much to sell Disney VHS tapes. You’ll only need the following:
- Valuable VHS Tapes: You need tapes that are worth selling. We’ll outline the priciest ones later. Mind that most Disney VHS tapes are still commonly available today unless they’re part of a rare collection or are banned.
- A Marketplace Account: While you can sell Disney VHS tapes in your local thrift store or a garage sale, we recommend giving Facebook Marketplace and eBay a shot. They allow you access to more Disney fans.
- A Payment Method While garage sales and local shops will pay you in cash, you’ll need a payment method to receive payments from websites like eBay. Consider a checking account, PayPal, Apple Pay, and other options.
- A Device With Internet Access: Internet access is necessary to operate on digital marketplaces.
Where to Sell Disney VHS Tapes
You can sell Disney VHS tapes through the following channels.
eBay is a multinational e-commerce company. As such, you’ll have access to millions of Disney fans on it. You can list and sell vintage Disney tapes on it, and the website automatically deducts its commission fee and $0.30 per order.
However, the issue with eBay is the competition and shipping costs, which will take a chunk of your profits.
What Makes This Option Great
You have access to millions of Disney fans worldwide, so you’ll come across more buyers.
- Fees/Commission: Varies depending on item type, plus $0.30 per order
- Payment Methods: Credit/Debit Card, PayPal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, and more
You’ll need a Facebook account to sell on the Facebook Marketplace. It allows you access to local Disney fans, to whom you can deliver your Disney VHS tapes or arrange a local pickup for cash.
What Makes This Option Great
It allows you to meet a decent number of Disney fans, usually frees you from expensive shipping costs (meet and exchange), and enables buyers to narrow their searches to items available for local pickup.
- Fees/Commission: –
- Payment Methods: Cash or deposit
3. Local Sales
Garage sales, antique stores, flea markets, and local pawn stores are common ways people sell their Disney VHS tapes. While you may make less money this way, it’s still a great way to make extra cash, especially if you have many VHS tapes in storage.
What Makes This Option Great
There are no concerns about shipping or paying commissions. You’ll usually sell to people you already know from your neighborhood.
- Fees/Commission: –
- Payment Methods: Cash
How To Sell Disney VHS Tapes: Step-By-Step Instructions
Here’s what you need to do to sell your Disney VHS tapes:
Step 1: Learn Which Tapes Are Desirable
It’s best to do research before delving into this side hustle.
We mentioned that most Disney tapes are still available and will only sell for chump change. If you want to make the most out of selling tapes, consider rare, mint-condition tapes, especially those from the Black Diamond collection.
Step 2: Buy Desirable VHS Tapes
If you don’t have any of those tapes, you can luckily score them for affordable prices on marketplaces, such as eBay or in garage sales, and hold onto them until they appreciate.
This is because of the resurgence of VHS and its trendiness; the resulting competition caused many tapes to depreciate.
Step 3: Choose a Marketplace
Step 4: List or Display Your VHS Tapes
You’ll need to make a listing of your VHS tapes if you’re selling them online. These listings include product pictures, a description, and other relevant information.
Use high-quality pictures and be honest in your product descriptions. Take care of your packaging and shipment. It’s also a good idea to advertise your tapes on Disney Facebook groups if you’re selling on Facebook Marketplace.
Otherwise, there’s not much to do if you take the garage sales or local stores approach. Learning how to bargain can help you score better prices.
Step 5: Ship or Deliver Your VHS Tapes
If you sell online, shipping your VHS tapes is a concern. Prioritize your customer’s satisfaction, use fast and secure shipment methods, offer tracking numbers, and ensure the package is delivered in the promised condition.
If you sell locally, be wary of strangers, arrange local pickups when possible, and bargain as much as possible.
Step 6: Receive Your Payment
Online marketplaces will pay you via credit or debit card or an online payment service. It’s best to have your banking information ready.
Local sales, in contrast, will net you on-hand cash.
Things to Consider When Selling VHS Tapes
Now that we’re done outlining the basics of selling VHS tapes, let’s discuss what you have to mind when you start.
1. VHS Tapes Value
We mentioned how not all Disney VHS tapes are worth selling. To make the most from selling them, consider tapes from the Black Diamond collection in mint condition, especially the rare ones. They’re also worth more sealed.
2. Be Wary of Scams
Be wary of scammers if you don’t have old Disney VHS tapes and plan on investing in some to resell later.
Tapes that sell for ~$15 are listed on eBay for exorbitant prices with terms such as “IGS-Ready.”
Unfortunately, few old tapes ever sell for over $100, and the auctions and $1,000+ buyouts you see online are usually influenced by false advertising, bidding wars, and rich collectors’ whims.
Advertise yourself well. Spread your tapes on Facebook groups, social media, and among collector subcommunities. Take high-quality pictures of your products and write honest descriptions. Provide competitive prices and excellent service, too.
4. Fees and Payment Methods
Online marketplaces such as eBay and Mercari have commissions. Considering how much VHS tapes are worth, these commissions can be tough, so pick a marketplace you’re comfortable with. This isn’t an issue if you sell locally, though.
Consider the most viable payment method, too. Bank deposits are quick and effective, but PayPal and other options are also available.
5. Customer Satisfaction
Customer satisfaction should be your priority. Use high-quality shipping services, package your tapes well, and be friendly and attentive to your customers if you sell online.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Much Can I Sell My Disney Tapes For?
It depends. If you have sealed, mint-condition Black Diamond tapes, they can fetch anywhere from $30 to $250. However, mass-produced and widely-available tapes sell for $3 to $15.
Can I Sell My Disney VHS Tapes?
Yes. You can sell them in online marketplaces or locally through garage sales and flea markets.
How Do I Receive Payment for My VHS Tapes?
If you sell your tapes online, you’ll get paid via credit/debit card, PayPal, or other popular online banking services; it depends on the marketplace’s available methods. However, if you sell locally, you’ll get cash on hand.
Which Disney Tapes Are Worth the Most?
The following tapes have been sold for hundreds or thousands of dollars online. Note that they are all part of the Black Diamond collection.
- Beauty and the Beast (Misprinted title: Beauti and the Beast)
- 101 Dalmatians (Hand-painted cover by Dale Eldred & 16-page Book)
- The Little Mermaid (Banned Cover)
- Aladdin (Collector’s Edition Label)
- The Great Mouse Detective
- Bambi The Original Classic
- The Fox and the Hound
Similar Tutorials to Check Out
Check out our other guides. You may find them useful!
- How To Sell Furniture Locally: Do you have a nice piece of furniture you no longer need? We’ll teach you how to sell it locally.
- How To Sell Used Rims: Do you want to sell old car rims? This guide has all the answers.
- How to Sell Short Stories for Money: Are you an aspiring writer looking to make money from selling short stories? Check out this comprehensive guide.
Selling old Disney VHS tapes is an excellent way to make extra cash while learning essential business practices.
If you have tapes from a rare collection in mint condition, they can fetch tens or hundreds of dollars. However, mass-produced tapes are better sold in bulk.
You can sell Disney VHS movies online on marketplaces such as Facebook and Mercari or through garage sales and flea markets. As always, we recommend following the steps we outlined to prevent frustrations and make the most of this side gig.
Your feedback is important to us. Let us know what you think of our guide, and share it if you like it!