Are you struggling to find a second source of income without working two full-time jobs?
Or do you look for a good side hustle without having to work from home?
We live in a time when prices are going higher, and we can’t live a good life with a single income anymore.
People are looking for another job, and they don’t have time to learn new skills to work online.
Luckily, there’s an easy solution: become a DoorDash driver. Read on to learn how to become a Door Dasher and start earning sufficient passive income.
- An Overview of DoorDash Driver Career: A Primer
- What You’ll Need to Become a Doordash Driver [& Associated Costs]
- Is It Hard to Become a DoorDash Driver?
- How to Become a DoorDash Driver in 6 Simple Steps
- Reasons to Consider Becoming a DoorDash Driver
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Similar Gigs to Check Out
- Wrapping Up
An Overview of DoorDash Driver Career: A Primer
DoorDash drivers are people that are doing deliveries to customers. But what makes it different from other delivery jobs such as Uber Eats or pizza delivery?
The difference is that DoorDash delivery drivers have a more interesting job. You will get your order on DoorDash Driver App, and these orders can be anything from delivering food to lottery tickets.
It’s not boring like doing a regular pizza delivery because you always have something new to deliver.
The best thing about it is that you choose how much you want to work. And you can do it even if you are working 9 to 5. You get to organize yourself and take a day off whenever you need to.
How Much Do DoorDash Drivers Make?
DoorDash drivers can earn anywhere from $15-25 depending on the area they live. And for many people, that is a decent hourly rate.
If you are working 9 to 5 and choose to work as a DoorDash driver for extra 4 hours a day, you can make more than $20,000 a year.
If you want to do it full-time, you can easily make more than $50,000 a year. You’ll be able to take more deliveries and probably get more tips.
What You’ll Need to Become a Doordash Driver [& Associated Costs]
Here are a few DoorDash driver requirements that you need to know before you start:
- You Need to Be at Least 18 Years Old – This is the minimum age requirement.
- A Vehicle – You can use any vehicle you currently have, whether it may be a car, scooter, or even a bicycle.
- Valid Driver’s License – You must ensure to have a valid and current driver’s license before you can start working.
- Auto Insurance – It’s best to secure an auto insurance policy in case something happens to you while on the road. DoorDash requires a coverage of $1 million in bodily injury and/or property damage.
- Background Check – Because DoorDash wants to ensure they have drivers with good character, you must undergo and pass a complete background check. That’s why you must have no criminal offenses and a clean driving record to increase your chances of becoming a DoorDash driver.
- A Bank Account – There are many different ways to get paid as a DoorDash driver, but whatever you choose, you’ll need a bank account first. You can choose a payment processor that fits you later on.
- A Smartphone – You need to have a reliable smartphone with a stable internet connection and a good battery to be able to use the DoorDash Driver App.
How Much Does It Cost to Become a DoorDash Driver?
Your entrance cost would be much lower if you have a car, scooter, or bike.
But if you’re on a budget, you can go for a simple bicycle as a start. You can find a good delivery bike for $500-$1,000. And once you have the budget, you may consider buying a more convenient vehicle (the big boy’s bike) later.
Meanwhile, if you plan to deliver via car or a scooter, you need to get your driver’s license. The license can cost anywhere from $50-$1,000, depending on your state.
Another thing you have in mind is auto insurance, which will cost you around $179 a month.
Is It Hard to Become a DoorDash Driver?
Becoming a DoorDash driver isn’t hard.
Job-wise, if you cover all the DoorDash driver requirements, you probably have everything you need to start.
You’ll get a delivery request on a DoorDash App, buy the goods, and deliver them to your customer. It’s simple as that.
Passion-wise, if you love driving around and doing deliveries, you won’t even feel like you’re working because it’s a simple job.
And if you’re an experienced driver, you’ll be able to work faster and earn more money.
How Long Does It Take to Become a DoorDash Driver?
The process of becoming a DoorDash delivery driver is simple. All you need to do is to sign up on DoorDash App and complete the verification.
This shouldn’t take long because new DoorDash drivers are always needed, and the process is simplified so you can start quickly.
If you cover all the DoorDash driver requirements, you will start working in a matter of days. And you won’t have to wait a lot for your first payment because you’ll get paid weekly on the dot.
How to Become a DoorDash Driver in 6 Simple Steps
Becoming a DoorDash driver is easy, but many people don’t know how to start. Here are 6 steps you need to follow:
Step 1 – Submit Your Profile
Create a profile and fill up all the necessary details. You’ll need to add some basic information, like your phone number, address, and zip code. Once you submit your profile, you can move to the next step.
Step 2 – Select Your Vehicle of Choice
This is where you choose your vehicle type and check if you pass the vehicle requirements to do this job.
The most popular choice among Door Dashers are motorcycles, bikes, and scooters, as they’re more convenient to drive around, especially in traffic.
If you only have a car, don’t worry. Driving a car also has advantages such as convenience when taking in more orders and shelter from the rain.
Step 3 – Complete the Background Check
Like most companies, DoorDash won’t just let anyone work for and with them to ensure the safety of their customers. This is to lessen, much less prevent, the safety or security risk for their customers.
As such, you passing a full background check will assure them of your good character.
That’s why you must submit all the required information and be sure that you don’t have any criminal background and possess a clean driving record.
Step 4 – Get the DoorDash App
Download the app so your customer can reach out to you. This is also where you can track your hourly pay, customer tips, and if you have an active delivery.
Step 5 – Choose Your Payment Method
DoorDash offers a variety of payment methods like cash, credit card, debit cards, Google Pay, PayPal, Apple Pay, and gift cards. Choose the one that works for you, and you’re ready to go.
Step 6 – Start Delivering
Once you have everything ready, you will start receiving deliveries. Be sure to have your phone charged whenever you start delivering so your customer can reach out to you.
Note: It’s also best to have your documents with you just in case.
Reasons to Consider Becoming a DoorDash Driver
Having things delivered to their door in a matter of minutes is what makes DoorDash a popular app among customers.
And so, to cater to this demand, DoorDash is always in need of Dashers. If you’re considering to be one, here are a few reasons to consider becoming a DoorDash driver:
- It’s Easy to Start – You can start working in a matter of days without having to learn new skills.
- You Earn Decent Money – The amount of money you earn is good compared to other similar jobs, and you get paid every week.
- It Keeps Your Body Active – This is a game-changer if you’re working 9 to 5 and you sit in front of a desk. You’ll keep your body active and take more steps every day.
- Flexible Schedule – Another game-changer is the flexibility you get with this job. You can choose when you want to work and create a schedule that fits you.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Can I Have a Higher Hourly Rate?
To have a higher hourly rate, you need to be willing to work when others are not.
Drive during lunchtime and during the holidays. Avoid traffic so you can deliver to more customers and focus on larger orders to earn more money.
Can My Application Get Disqualified? How?
Yes. You might get disqualified when completing your profile.
This all comes down to your background check if you did any kinds of sexual offenses, felonies, violent crimes, thefts, or anything similar.
What Are the Main Vehicle Requirements?
There are no specific requirements when it comes to the vehicle.
You can drive anything as long as you pass the background check and have a clean driving record. And this is the main reason people choose DoorDash compared to other companies.
Similar Gigs to Check Out
If you decide that DoorDash delivery isn’t for you, here are a few more interesting gigs that you can check out:
- Get Paid to Walk Dogs – This is another great gig to keep you moving. You can earn up to $30 per dog for a 30-minute walk.
- Get Paid to Give Advice – If you like talking to people and giving advice on various topics, here are 9 ways you can make money by doing it.
- Get Paid to Help People Move – Back to the offline world and staying active, here is a great way to make decent money by helping people move.
In the end, there aren’t many downsides when it comes to this job. Many people find it useful and lucrative because they can make decent money while having a flexible schedule.
Follow the steps we listed above, and you’ll become a DoorDash driver in no time.
Do you find this article helpful? Leave a comment below. Feel free to share this with your friends as well so they, too, can earn passive income with this side gig.