Are you looking for a rewarding job or a side hustle with a flexible schedule?
We understand the struggle of finding a fulfilling job in this challenging economy and are here to help!
By becoming a DoorDash delivery driver, you can achieve a work-life balance by working on your schedule with no commitments!
Thankfully, it’s easy to become one. Scroll through to learn how to become a DoorDash driver, including the requirements and helpful tips.
- An Overview of DoorDash Driver: A Primer
- What You’ll Need to Become a DoorDash Driver [& Associated Costs]?
- Is It Hard to Become a DoorDash Driver?
- How to Become a DoorDash Driver in Four Simple Steps
- Reasons to Consider Becoming a DoorDash Driver
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Similar Gigs to Check Out
- Wrapping Up
An Overview of DoorDash Driver: A Primer
With millions of users and a market share of 65%, DoorDash is the leading food delivery service in the United States.
Thus, becoming a DoorDash driver or Dasher can be a good-paying delivery gig, not to mention that it’s among the best gig jobs you can sign up for!
Whether you’re a professional with a 9 to 5 job, a student, or someone looking for an income-generating hobby, DoorDashing is a worthwhile delivery job opportunity you shouldn’t miss.
You can get paid a guaranteed rate per hour or delivery. That means that the more deliveries you can complete, the more bucks you can earn.
On top of that, DoorDash drivers earn 100% of customer tips and other incentives.
Meanwhile, here’s how Dashers process deliveries:
- The customer places an order through the Doordash food delivery app
- The order request appears on the DoorDash driver app, and the Dasher accepts the order
- Once the order is ready, the Dasher picks them up from the restaurant or partner merchant and pays using the red card depending on the prompt from the app
- During transport, the driver maintains the safety and quality of the food
- The Dasher delivers right to your doorstep, and the order is complete
How Much Do DoorDash Drivers Make?
According to Indeed, DoorDash drivers earn an average salary of $4,173 per month. Their total earnings comprise the base rate, promotions, and tips.
Base rates usually range from $2 to 10$ and up per order. The rate depends on the total time, distance, and desirability to complete the delivery.
Given that fact, Dashers can receive a higher base pay by completing long-distance deliveries.
There are additional rewards or incentives that Dashers can sign up for to earn extra dollars. For example, by completing a certain number of deliveries at a given time, Dashers can get a cash bonus.
For new Doordash drivers, the Guaranteed Earnings offer can help them earn at least $1500 in total earnings. They can do so by signing up for the program and completing at least 150 deliveries within their first 30 days.
Lastly, the tips from the customers are entirely yours! Whether the customer leaves a tip upon check out or after the delivery, it goes straight to the Dasher’s earnings.
What You’ll Need to Become a DoorDash Driver [& Associated Costs]?
If you’re at least 18 years old, you’re eligible to start your DoorDash delivery rider journey.
Apart from that, you need to provide your Social Security number and prepare the following documents or requirements:
- iOs or Android smartphone: You’ll need a mobile device to install a Dasher app, where you’ll accept and process every delivery request. The average price of a smartphone in 2023 is $720, but there are budget phones you can purchase at around $200.
- Mode of transportation: Feel free to use your car, no matter the model or age. In some locations, you can also dash using your bike, e-bike, scooter, or motorcycle. Bicycles can be as low as $100, and the average car price is around $48,000.
- Valid driver’s license: If you don’t have a license yet, obtaining a driver’s license varies per state and can cost around $20 to $1000, according to Insider. On the other hand, license renewal costs between $10 to $89, depending on the state.
How Much Does it Cost to Become a DoorDash Driver?
Given that you have to process or purchase all the requirements above, it can cost you around $310 to $49,720.
However, if you already have all the requirements mentioned, applying as a DoorDash delivery rider may not cost you a single penny!
In addition, you may have to spare some cash once you begin working as a DoorDash driver since you need to equip yourself with the right gear and food handling materials in adherence to food safety regulations.
Regarding the gear, bags, and other items you’ll need for delivery, you can buy them from the DoorDash store.
Prices of insulated bags and carriers vary between $9.40 to $86. DoorDash will also send you a free welcome kit after completing your first order.
The kit includes a DoorDash insulated tote bag that you can use to store food orders. The kit also includes the DoorDash Red Card that you’ll use to pay for some orders as prompted by your Dasher app.
Apart from those mentioned, it’s essential to know that as a DoorDash driver, you’re responsible for expenses like car maintenance and repair, gas, and other fees.
Is It Hard to Become a DoorDash Driver?
Not at all! You don’t need a degree or undergo any special training to qualify. In fact, you don’t even need prior work experience. You’ll only need to possess all the DoorDash driver requirements and have a clean record to pass the background check.
At the same time, you may think that being a DoorDash driver is merely about food delivery. While it’s just another delivery job to some, a Dasher’s role is more than just accepting orders from the DoorDash app and handing them out to customers.
DoorDash drivers should observe proper practices to ensure customer service satisfaction and a safe delivery process. Aside from delivery duties, DoorDash drivers should ensure that they:
- Adhere to traffic rules and drive safely at all times
- Ensure food safety by keeping the food fresh, clean, and secure to avoid spillage and contamination
- Keep the insulated bags clean to prevent contamination and negative customer ratings
How Long Does it Take to Become a DoorDash Driver?
Unlike applying for corporate jobs, which can take several weeks to hear news about the job offer, becoming a delivery driver for DoorDash is quick. You can begin working within days after you sign up and qualify.
How to Become a DoorDash Driver in Four Simple Steps
Becoming a food delivery driver with DoorDash is easy. Here are the steps that you need to go through:
STEP 1: Prepare All Requirements Needed
You need to complete all basic requirements first.
You must be at least 18 and have a valid driver’s license. You also need a vehicle with registration and insurance, plus an iOS or Android smartphone to install the Dasher app.
STEP 2: Apply Online
Go to DoorDash’s official website and sign up to become a Dasher.
Here are some details and steps that you need to complete on the online application form:
- Create your Dasher profile and enter the following details:
- Email address
- Phone number
- Zip code
- Full name
- Indicate your vehicle type, including the color and model. After that, upload clear copies of the required supporting documents and vehicle insurance details.
- Complete an identity verification process by uploading a valid government ID (driver’s license) and taking a selfie to match the photo on your ID.
- Fill out details for background checking including your vehicle report and criminal history report.
- Indicate your preferred payout method and add your bank account information.
STEP 3: Install the Dasher App
Install the Dasher app on your smartphone to complete the signup process. After getting confirmation about your application, you can now start receiving orders through the mobile driver app.
STEP 4: Complete Your First Order and Receive a Welcome Kit
After completing your first DoorDash order, you can receive your free welcome kit, which includes a red card and an insulated hot bag.
The Dasher app will prompt you to enter your mailing address, and once you’re done filling out the details, you’ll receive the tracking info of your kit via email.
Reasons to Consider Becoming a DoorDash Driver
Whether full-time or as a go-to second job, becoming a DoorDash driver offers many perks, like allowing you to work on your schedule and be your own boss.
- Flexible schedule: You can decide how many work hours you can do for the day. That way, you can still attend to other commitments, be it another job or familial and academic duties. Moreover, this job can be worked at night.
- You receive your payments instantly or weekly: DoorDash transfers your payment via DasherDirect or directly to your bank account.
- Pay is higher than minimum wage: If you choose to get paid hourly, you can earn up to $7 per hour on top of customer tips and promotions.
- Limited contact with customers: A Dasher’s role is perfect for introverts or those who prefer fewer customer interactions.
Frequently Asked Questions
For more information, check out these FAQs about DoorDash driving.
Is Driving for DoorDash Worth It?
While it’s the ideal side gig for people seeking to work on flexible schedules, a DoorDash driving job may not be a stable income source. Your earning can vary depending on the demands and location.
Therefore, working within peak hours, like lunchtime or rainy days, is best to earn more money and customer tips. Plus, you’ll need to cover your personal expenses, which can impact your average earnings.
Does DoorDash Pay Daily?
DoorDash only offers instant and weekly payment options. Thus, Dashers can receive direct pay for every successful delivery in their DashDirect account or their salary every week.
Meanwhile, Dashers can cash out their earnings daily with a $1.99 charge using Fast Pay.
Similar Gigs to Check Out
Aside from working as a DoorDash driver, here are other flexible side hustles you might want to look at:
- How to Become an Uber Driver: By becoming an Uber driver, you can use your vehicle to earn money by transporting customers with the perk of working on your own schedule.
- How to Become an Uber Eats Driver: If you’re passionate about food delivery and ensuring customer service satisfaction, this job fits you!
- How to Become an Airbnb Host: As an Airbnb host, you can generate passive income by renting out your property.
Becoming a DoorDash driver is a rewarding job suitable for people seeking a food delivery side hustle that grants them the privilege of working according to their own schedule.
Plus, it’s fast and easy to become one; you don’t need any experience or special education.
That said, some of the requirements on how to become a DoorDash driver are to have a valid driver’s license and a registered vehicle with insurance.
If you like this guide, please drop your comments below, and don’t hesitate to share this with your friends. We hope to see you on the next one!