You might’ve considered using Facebook Marketplace to sell your handmade products or promote your small business but aren’t sure where to start.
There’s nothing to worry about because many people before you had the same issue. It turns out that using this tool is as easy as can be!
This guide educates you on how to sell on Facebook Marketplace step-by-step, discussing other topics such as its pros and cons, what you’ll need, and the best items you can sell on it.
- Why You Should Consider Selling on Facebook Marketplace
- Problems With Selling on Facebook Marketplace
- What You’ll Need to Sell on Facebook Marketplace
- What to Sell on Facebook Marketplace
- How to Sell on Facebook Marketplace: Step-By-Step Instructions
- Things to Consider When Selling on Facebook Marketplace
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Similar Tutorials to Check Out
- Wrapping Up
Why You Should Consider Selling on Facebook Marketplace
A lot of perks come with selling on Facebook Marketplace, which many users like about the tool.
Here are the top four advantages.
- User-friendly interface: Most people are already familiar with how the Facebook app works, which makes using Marketplace a breeze.
- Suggestions based on your location: Marketplace is fantastic for creating deals based on the radius that you provide. This helps nearby Facebook users find your products much faster.
- No hidden selling costs: All you have to do is read Marketplace’s selling policies to understand the expenses you’ll be responsible for. As long as you follow the guidelines, there should be no hidden fees.
- Easy buying and selling processes: Marketplace listings are a lot more straightforward to create and require less time than other platforms. If you want to sell items on occasion without needing to set up an entire store or create a business account, Marketplace is a good option.
Problems With Selling on Facebook Marketplace
The freedom that comes with selling on Facebook Marketplace isn’t always a pro.
You need to understand the issues that might face you as a Facebook Marketplace seller to get the full picture.
- Not suitable for long-term selling: Because there’s no option to establish a store on Facebook Marketplace with your brand’s name, selling products on it won’t be beneficial to your brand’s popularity. If you have a small business, it won’t receive recognition on the platform.
- Possibility of scams: Inexperienced Facebook Marketplace sellers may agree to meet up with buyers in good faith. Most of the time, such a scenario may be risky, as you don’t know who’s behind the screen.
- Increased competition: A lot of Facebook Marketplace sellers offer competitive prices in their specific niches, which makes it challenging to find a type of product that sells well. You’ll need thorough research and multiple marketing approaches to ensure more people see your listings.
- Facebook doesn’t verify products: This point can make buyers hesitant to buy items off Facebook Marketplace, as there’s no guarantee that their condition will match the attached picture. As a result, you might need a while before you become popular enough so that Facebook Marketplace shoppers will trust you.
What You’ll Need to Sell on Facebook Marketplace
To sell on Facebook Marketplace, you only require the following.
- A Facebook account: A regular active Facebook account will handle all your dealings on Marketplace. It’s also how potential customers will contact you via direct messages.
- The item or products you want to sell: Prepare the products you want to list and make sure you take high-quality pictures of them from different angles.
- A payment method: While you can dedicate a bank account to receive your Facebook Marketplace sales, Facebook doesn’t recommend buyers send payments this way. A better alternative would be Paypal.
What to Sell on Facebook Marketplace
Some of the best-selling items on Facebook Marketplace include:
All types of furniture are great candidates for selling on Facebook Marketplace. Such options include sofas, beds, tables, bookcases, and even smaller furniture like desks and side tables.
As long as you specify that the condition is good, someone is bound to like your furniture.
Why This Product Sells Well
Facebook Marketplace is one of the go-to destinations to buy used furniture because it’s easier to use than other sites. As a result, you’ll find a wide base of your target audience already built into the platform.
2. Fitness Equipment and Accessories
Anything from dumbbells and shakers to full-fledged workout machines is also in high demand on Facebook Marketplace.
Whether you’re a manufacturer of sports goods or you want to sell equipment that’s been lying around at home, Marketplace is a no-brainer choice.
Why This Product Sells Well
More and more people are showing interest in improving their fitness and losing weight.
With the help of Facebook’s algorithms, your sports equipment will automatically show up in these individuals’ news feeds, which can boost your sales.
3. Clothing and Accessories
Fashion-related items like clothing, bags, shoes, and accessories are instant best-sellers on almost any platform.
If you sell vintage pieces or unique items that retail stores don’t have, your chances of making a good profit on Facebook Marketplace will be higher.
Why This Product Sells Well
You can’t ignore the power of trends, fashion bloggers, and influencers on consumers, especially in the fashion industry. Their marketing techniques compel thousands to buy clothes and accessories every day.
To make use of that knowledge, keep up to date on the latest trends, and your Marketplace listings will eventually find their way to interested people on Facebook.
How to Sell on Facebook Marketplace: Step-By-Step Instructions
Are you ready to learn the right way to sell your items on Facebook Marketplace? The following instructions go through all the steps in detail.
Step 1: Log Into Your Facebook Account (or Create a New One)
Chances are you already have an account on Facebook, so you should start by logging into it with your email and password. If you don’t or you want to dedicate a new Facebook to your business, go to facebook.com and sign up for a new account.
After receiving a confirmation email and confirming the registration process, open Facebook Web or the Facebook smartphone app. Click on the Marketplace icon from the menu on the left of your homepage if you’re a web user.
Smartphone users will usually find the icon as a tab on their screens. If not, you should press on the icon showing three horizontal lines, then you’ll find the Marketplace icon among the shortcuts.
Step 2: Create Your Marketplace Product Listing
When you click on the Marketplace icon, an option to create a listing will appear, below which you can choose “Single listing” or “Multiple listings.”
Once you pick a single listing, you’ll get the options:
- Item for Sale
- Create Multiple Listings
- Vehicle for Sale
- Home for Sale or Rent
When you go for “Item for Sale,” a new page will open where you’ll need to type in the title of the product and available quantity.
You’ll also have to upload up to ten pictures of your item (make sure these are clear and showcase any flaws if the item you’re selling is used).
Step 3: Add the Rest of Your Product’s Details
While writing the description of your product, you need to ensure it includes all the relevant keywords that will make it easy to find by interested people. Highlight its key selling points and mention its condition if it’s used for transparency.
As for the price, in-depth market research of your predetermined niche will let you know how to price your product. If it’s not made by you but used, you can also go online and search forums to understand how to price your item based on its condition.
Finally, include as many product tags as possible, as these can help Facebook Marketplace buyers find your product quickly.
Once you’re satisfied with how the product listing looks in the preview, hit “Next.”
Step 4: Pick Your Preferred Delivery Method
After that, you get to choose your delivery method according to what works best for you. There are three options to select from here:
- Local Pickup Only
- Shipping Only
- Shipping and Local Pickup
We recommend you go for Facebook Marketplace shipping as it’s safer than a local pickup. Plus, getting paid on Facebook Marketplace should be a breeze thanks to the “checkout on Marketplace option.”
The next thing to do is decide whether or not you want Facebook to include a shipping label, which will cost you more depending on the weight of the item you’re selling.
Or, you can design and print your labels yourself if you’re running a business and want a branded label.
Facebook will then let you know how much money you can expect to get every time a person purchases your item.
Step 5: Settle on a Payment Option
Lastly, you should determine how you want people to pay you for the products you’ve listed on Marketplace.
You’ll find that including the payment method doesn’t fall into the process of creating a Facebook Marketplace listing, but it’s a separate step.
You can receive money in several ways. The easiest one involves sending money via Facebook Messenger after you strike a deal with a buyer.
Here are the steps you need to follow to activate this option on the Messenger app:
- Go to your Facebook settings, then select “Payments.”
- Click on “Facebook Pay,” then “Add payment method.”
- You can either go for a credit or debit card or Paypal.
- Fill in the details of your card or Paypal account, save the information, then hit “Done.”
- Open the Messenger conversation with the buyer who’s ready to pay you.
- Press the “+” sign underneath the chat window to the left, then tap the dollar sign.
- Click on “Edit Amount” and enter the amount of money that you’ve agreed on.
- Hit “Pay” to send the buyer a payment request.
Things to Consider When Selling on Facebook Marketplace
Here are a few points that could make or break your selling process on Facebook Marketplace:
- Think about sharing your listing outside Marketplace: Consider sharing your listed products on your local Facebook groups or your profile to reach a bigger audience. Also, don’t hesitate to share successful sales on your homepage to help your brand grow.
- Boost your listings: You can take advantage of the “Boost Listing” option to allow your products to appear on your target audience’s news feeds. Tweak details like the age group, location, and more to reach more people who might be interested in your item.
- Consider renewing your post: Renewing your listing every seven days will help it go back to the top of the search results without charging you any money in return.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the answers to two questions that may still be on your mind.
How Much Does It Cost to Sell on Facebook Marketplace?
Facebook deducts a selling fee from the payout automatically, which is 5% per shipment. There’s also a flat fee of $0.40 if the shipment is worth $8 or less.
Is It Worth Selling on Facebook Marketplace?
Yes. It’s worth selling on Facebook Marketplace if you like the freedom it gives you as a seller, not to mention that it’s simple to use.
However, Facebook Marketplace is a lot like a yard sale. It’s great for selling used or new items, but may not satisfy sellers who want to set up an online store like the case on Etsy.
Similar Tutorials to Check Out
Because selling stuff online is a great idea, you may want to widen your horizons and showcase your products in other locations.
The following are three tutorials that can help you achieve that goal in no time.
- How to Sell on Facebook: Besides its dedicated Marketplace, there are other ways you can use Facebook as a social media platform to sell your items.
- How to Sell on Amazon: Take advantage of Amazon’s huge popularity as an e-commerce website and set up a store on it.
- How to Sell on Poshmark: If you specialize in beauty and fashion products or fancy home decor, look at no other than Poshmark to list your products.
While Facebook Marketplace isn’t as popular as other places like Amazon, eBay, or Etsy, it’s still worth selling your items on to reach a larger audience.
With our guide on how to sell on Facebook Marketplace, you should now have the knowledge you need to start your selling journey.
Let us know if the information in this article was useful in the comments below. Feel free to share it with your friends, family, or coworkers if it was.