Are you interested in gig jobs?
Whether you’re looking for a little extra spending money or want to make a career change, gig jobs can be a way to do both.
In this article, we’ll discuss what gig jobs are, the available types, and what you need to look for when choosing one.
We’ll also give you tips to select the best gig job.
- The Best Best Gig Jobs (Overview)
- An Overview of Gig Jobs
- The Best Gig Jobs at a Glance
- Criteria To Look For in Gig Jobs
- Best Gig Jobs: Our Top 3 Options [Ranked & Reviewed]
- Grocery Delivery – Our Pick
- Package Delivery – Runner-Up
- Restaurant Delivery – Also Great
- Notable Mentions: Notable Mentions: Other Gig Jobs To Check Out
- Rideshare Driving
- Temp Work Apps
- Handyman & Household Labor
- Pet Sitter or Dog Walker
- Selling Things Online
- Scooter Charger
- Other Jobs Relevant to Gig Jobs
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Wrapping Up
The Best Best Gig Jobs (Overview)
We’ve included an overview of our top picks below. For detailed information on each pick, scroll down.
- Grocery Delivery: Our Pick
- Package Delivery: Runner-up
- Restaurant Delivery: Use Your Vehicle for Income
- Rideshare Driving: Make Money on the Go
- Temp Work Apps: Make Money Without Commitments
- Handyman & Household Labor: Use Your Physical Skills
- Pet Sitter or Dog Walker: Spend Time with Pets
- Selling Things Online: Never Leave the House
- Scooter Charger: Charge While You Sleep
An Overview of Gig Jobs
The gig economy has become increasingly popular in recent years due to its flexibility and the wide variety of opportunities available.
With more people looking for alternative sources of income, many have been turning to these jobs as an opportunity to supplement income or even pursue full-time gigs if they desire.
Gig jobs can offer the potential for higher pay rates than traditional employment while also allowing workers the freedom to choose when they work and what projects they take on.
What Is a Gig Job?
The definition of a gig worker includes someone who works gig jobs.
Gig jobs are freelance jobs and a type of short-term employment.
They offer flexibility and an opportunity to work on projects from any location.
Gig jobs focus on delivering high-quality outcomes within a specific timeframe, providing beneficial services to employers looking for contractors or freelancers with specific skill sets.
Why Are Gig Jobs Important?
Gig jobs allow you to take advantage of the basics of the gig economy as you earn money on your terms.
By helping with finding gigs to try, gig economy platforms allow you to support yourself and pursue interests outside of a traditional job.
Gig jobs also provide employers with an efficient way to source talent in various fields.
The Best Gig Jobs at a Glance
Now, let’s take a look at two of the top gig jobs available.
What Is the Best Gig Job?
Grocery delivery is the best gig job to consider using for extra income.
Various grocery delivery apps and services allow you to earn money while helping others get the groceries they need.
What Gig Job Pays The Most?
Package delivery can become your most lucrative gig job selection.
Many package delivery services offer gig workers the opportunity to make up to $20 an hour or more.
Plus, you can often set your hours and decide when you want to take on assignments.
Criteria To Look For in Gig Jobs
As you mull over which gigs can generate the most income for your needs, here are some criteria to consider.
The ability to work remotely and on your schedule is a selling point of gig work. Look for opportunities that offer flexibility in terms of hours and location.
Using this flexibility, you can often pick up more than one gig at a time.
Do this to maximize your earnings.
Gig work can be a way to try out different roles and industries.
When searching for gigs, look for opportunities that will allow you to explore new areas and learn new skills.
Once you find what you like best, double down in that industry.
Gig workers are paid by the project.
It is vital to negotiate a fair rate upfront.
Research the going rate for similar gigs in your industry before beginning any negotiations.
Make sure to read reviews and check references before agreeing to work with any employer.
Once you’ve found a few reputable gig providers, build a positive feedback rating by completing jobs successfully and on time.
As you do this, you will find it easier to pick up additional side gigs.
5. Long-term Potential
While many gig jobs are short-term or one-time projects, some may lead to longer-term employment opportunities.
Keep an eye out for gigs that have the potential to turn into full-time jobs or provide helpful experience for your future career goals.
You might use your side gig experiences to train yourself into a full-blown career or a new six-figure business opportunity.
Best Gig Jobs: Our Top 3 Options [Ranked & Reviewed]
Let’s analyze our top three gig job suggestions more thoroughly.
With the following in-depth information, you can select the best option for your lifestyle and daily activities.
Grocery Delivery – Our Pick
The basic steps of this gig include picking up requested items and delivering them to their homes.
Working as a grocery delivery driver requires knowledge of correct safety protocols like wearing a face mask and adhering to social distancing guidelines when interacting with customers.
You will also need access to a vehicle and some form of navigation app (e.g., Waze or Google).
Finally, you must be able to follow instructions carefully, as misunderstandings can lead to delays and dissatisfied customers.
Companies That Offer Grocery Delivery
Here are the top three companies that offer grocery delivery.
- Instacart: A San Francisco-based provider of grocery delivery services, available in all 50 states and Canada.
- Shipt: An online grocery delivery service based in Birmingham, Alabama that delivers groceries and household items from local stores.
- AmazonFresh: An Amazon subsidiary offering grocery delivery (as well as same-day and two-hour delivery options) in select cities across the United States.
Pros of Grocery Delivery
- Flexible schedule: You can choose when and for how long you want to work, giving you the freedom and flexibility to set your hours.
- Sign-up bonus: Many companies offer sign-up bonuses to new drivers that can help you get off to a great start with your new income opportunity.
- Tips: Grocery delivery drivers often receive tips from customers, allowing you to earn more money on top of commissions provided by the company.
Cons of Grocery Delivery
- High demand and competition: Grocery delivery has become increasingly popular, leading to higher competition for rides and lower wages.
- Unpredictable earnings: You must often work during peak hours to earn a reliable income due to sporadic customer orders.
- Dealing with difficult customers: Drivers must deal with difficult customers as part of the job, such as people who refuse to accept deliveries or have unreasonable demands.
How Much You Can Make With Grocery Delivery
The amount you can expect to make with grocery delivery depends on various factors, such as the type of service you offer and the hours you work.
Generally, drivers can earn anywhere from $15–$20 per hour depending on their location, and some may even earn more during peak times.
Drivers in larger cities typically have higher earning potential due to the increased demand for services.
Conclusion: Should You Choose Grocery Delivery?
Whether or not you should choose grocery delivery as a driver depends on your circumstances.
For some, the unpredictable earnings and high demand may make it an unsuitable job choice.
However, if you’re looking for flexible work hours that pay well, it is our top gig job choice.
Package Delivery – Runner-Up
Package delivery gigs usually involve picking up packages from a local warehouse or store, then transporting them to their destination.
Depending on the size of the package and the distance required, this can take anywhere from minutes to hours.
You must have reliable transportation, such as a car or bike, to complete the job successfully.
In addition, some package delivery gigs offer additional bonuses if you complete multiple jobs in a day or complete them quickly.
Companies That Offer Package Delivery
If you’re looking to work as a package delivery person, then these three companies should be at the top of your list.
- Amazon Flex: Amazon Flex provides an on-demand package delivery service. Amazon delivers packages to customers across the country.
- UPS: UPS offers part-time and full-time flexibility with package delivery gigs. You will be responsible for picking up packages from various locations and delivering them to the customer or drop-off points.
- FedEx: As a driver, you have the option to work either part-time or full-time depending on your availability and schedule.
Pros of Package Delivery
- Flexible hours: Since you can select part-time time or full-time hours, you have scheduling control.
- Performance bonuses: Many companies offer bonuses to give you an extra boost during busy seasons.
- Variety: You get to see different places and meet new people while delivering packages.
Cons of Package Delivery
- Long hours: You may have to work long shifts without breaks, leaving you tired and drained.
- Difficult weather conditions: You can encounter hazardous road conditions such as snow and ice while out on the route, which can cause delays in delivery times.
- Traffic congestion: Traffic jams can slow down delivery times and leave you feeling frustrated and behind schedule.
How Much You Can Make With Package Delivery
Pay depends on the company and the job.
Most delivery drivers make an average of $14 to $17 per hour, but some companies may offer higher rates.
Bonuses and tips received can also increase your earnings.
The amount can vary depending on the type of route, the location, demand, and customer tips.
Conclusion: Should You Choose Package Delivery?
Choosing to pursue a job in package delivery can be a way to earn extra income and gain valuable experience.
However, it is important to take into consideration the traffic congestion associated with this type of job.
The competitive pay and flexibility rate it as second on our list.
Restaurant Delivery – Also Great
Being a driver for restaurant delivery involves providing customers with timely, friendly service and promptly delivering their orders directly to their door.
You can drive for a restaurant chain or through third-party delivery services, such as DoorDash or UberEats.
You will need a valid driver’s license and often have to pass a background check.
You must also maintain a clean driving record, adhere to safety protocols, and stay up-to-date on local traffic regulations.
Companies That Offer Restaurant Delivery
Multiple apps make it convenient for restaurant patrons to connect with to use your delivery services.
- DoorDash is one of the most popular delivery platforms with a large network of drivers in cities across the U.S., Canada, and Australia.
- Uber Eats has expanded its product offering to become one of the biggest players in food delivery, with operations in hundreds of cities worldwide.
- Grubhub is a leading online and mobile food ordering company that connects diners with restaurants that offer pickup or delivery services.
Pros of Restaurant Delivery
- Flexible hours: You have the option to set your hours and choose when and where to work.
- Job variety: The ability to switch between different restaurants for every shift.
- Increased income potential: The chance to earn more money than in-person orders due to increased delivery fees.
Cons of Restaurant Delivery
- Weather conditions: Inclement weather can make deliveries difficult or dangerous.
- Traffic congestion: Delivery drivers face traffic congestion which can add to the length and difficulty of routes.
- Customer service issues: Drivers may encounter customer service issues such as rude customers or incorrect orders.
How Much You Can Make With Restaurant Delivery
The average amount that you can earn as a restaurant delivery driver depends on the demand for deliveries in your area and the type of restaurant you choose to deliver for.
On average, drivers can expect to make between $10 and $20 per hour.
However, with tips, this number can rise significantly higher.
Conclusion: Should You Choose Restaurant Delivery?
Deciding to pursue restaurant delivery as a job can become rewarding.
You have the opportunity to explore different areas and make money while having flexibility.
With the right approach, it can be a way to earn extra income and gain valuable experience.
Notable Mentions: Notable Mentions: Other Gig Jobs To Check Out
Before deciding on your next gig job, add the following options to our top selections above.
Rideshare driving is a type of transportation service where drivers use their vehicles to provide rides for customers.
You are defined as a contractor when performing this work.
The job involves picking up customers from their desired location, taking them to their destination, and accepting payment inside the app.
You will receive a percentage of the total fare as payment.
Rideshare driving offers you freedom and flexibility.
You can choose your hours, as well as when and where you work.
Additionally, rideshare drivers can make a respectable amount of money.
You will often earn more than what traditional taxi drivers might earn.
Working in rideshare allows you to meet interesting people and provide quality customer service, which can make for an enjoyable experience.
Finally, rideshare driving is an energizing career that offers potential for growth in the industry.
Rideshare drivers do not have the guaranteed wages and benefits that traditional taxi services offer.
Additionally, you must pay for your gas and maintenance costs, as well as any potential fines imposed for driving infractions.
Long hours and increased competition can lead to additional stress on your vehicle and overall health.
Finally, negative experiences with customers can occur when driving for a rideshare company.
The amount you make with rideshare driving can vary depending on the company and location.
However, most drivers report earning between $15 to $25 per hour after expenses.
It is crucial to note that your earnings are dependent upon factors such as demand, competition, and quality of customer service.
Some cities may have additional taxes or other fees that reduce your total earnings.
Temp Work Apps
Most temp jobs are short-term opportunities and don’t require much more than applying the app.
Once accepted, you’ll gain access to job postings that match your profile.
You can decide if the job fits your needs before applying for it or accepting the position.
Once accepted, you will begin working immediately.
Why Are Temp Work Apps a Great Option?
Temp work apps are an option when you want to maintain freedom and a flexible lifestyle.
Temp work applications typically involve little planning in advance.
You can take on jobs as needed without having to adhere to any set working times or schedules.
One unique benefit of using temp work apps is the ability to get paid quickly, often via direct deposits after completing jobs or even before beginning some projects.
Drawbacks to Temp Work Apps
While you can take on as many or as few projects as you’d like, there is no guarantee of how often you will get called upon.
Since companies generally use these apps for short-term projects, you could find yourself without a job before long.
Few apps provide the same benefits or protections as a full-time job.
How Much You Can Make With Temp Work Apps
The amount of money you can make from a temp work app will vary.
That said, many of these jobs pay competitive rates and offer a good return on investment.
On average, users with temp work apps can expect to make $20 or $30 per hour.
The rate you receive will depend on factors such as the skill required for the task, your experience level, and any extra qualifications you possess.
Handyman & Household Labor
Doing household labor involves finding customers, assessing their needs, quoting jobs, organizing appointments, and carrying out the work to a high standard.
You’ll need initiative, drive, and a range of skills to succeed in this field, including problem-solving, customer service, and communication skills.
Why Is Handyman & Household Labor a Great Option?
Working in this field offers the flexibility and freedom to set your rates and choose when and where you work.
Even part-time workers have the potential to earn a decent living from this type of work.
Due to the growing demand for on-demand services, customers are often willing to pay more if you offer immediate response and prompt service.
Drawbacks to Handyman & Household Labor
Customers may be demanding and have specific expectations from you as a professional.
You will generally have to pay for your tools and materials.
Finding customers may require good networking skills or a strong online presence.
How Much You Can Make With Handyman & Household Labor
In general, prices can start from $25 per hour to over $100 per hour depending on the type of service and experience.
For some professionals, it is possible to bring in a full-time income by working for multiple customers.
Pet Sitter or Dog Walker
Pet sitting includes providing services such as feeding, exercising, walking, playing with, bathing, and grooming pets in the pet owners’ home.
A dog walker may also provide additional services such as transportation to veterinary appointments, picking up food and supplies for the owner, or administering medications if needed.
Why Is a Pet Sitter or Dog Walker a Great Option?
Becoming a pet sitter or dog walker combines earning an income with something you love – animals!
Dog walking jobs are flexible and accommodating.
Not only will you get to spend time with four-legged friends but the job also comes with other benefits such as increased physical activity and improved mental health.
Drawbacks to Pet Sitter or Dog Walker
One of the main drawbacks is the lack of regular income.
In most cases, work as a pet sitter or dog walker is either on-call work or part-time jobs that vary in hours and length.
It can make budgeting difficult since there may be times when you don’t have enough business to fill your day.
How Much You Can Make With Pet Sitter or Dog Walker
The amount of money you can make depends on the number of clients you gain.
Your location and experience level may also play a role in determining your pay rate.
Generally, pet sitting and dog walking jobs garner an hourly rate ranging from $14-$17 per hour for one pet or up to $20-$25 for multiple animals.
Selling Things Online
Selling things online involves identifying the product you want to sell, and then determining how you’ll price it.
You also need to uncover your target market and create marketing materials such as images, product descriptions, and pricing information.
Lastly, you need to develop an online marketing strategy or find sites to sell stuff online with.
Why Is Selling Things Online a Great Option?
Selling things online allows you to reach a wide audience from all over the world. Online selling allows for more flexibility and creative freedom.
Additionally, many platforms offer features like built-in payment processing, automatic shipping calculations, customer service support, and other helpful tools to make the process of selling easier.
Drawbacks to Selling Things Online
You may face competition from larger companies and/or existing stores that have existed longer than you.
Transaction fees associated with many of the platforms can eat into your profits.
You may need to invest in advertising and marketing costs.
How Much You Can Make With Selling Things Online
Your profits will depend largely on the type of products you’re selling, the platform or marketplace you’re using to reach customers, and the marketing and advertising efforts you put in place.
Some people earn a few thousand dollars per month. Others turn online selling into six-figure businesses.
Making money as a scooter charger is an easy and convenient way to bring in extra income.
As a scooter charger, you’ll collect rented electric scooters from customers.
You’ll make money by charging each scooter and returning it to its designated location.
The key to success as a scooter charger is becoming organized, knowledgeable of the local area, and responding quickly to customer needs.
Why Is a Scooter Charger a Great Option?
With the right skills and knowledge, you can quickly turn scooter charging into a lucrative side business.
You’ll enjoy flexible hours and get paid per scooter.
Becoming a scooter charger doesn’t require extensive capital or training.
All you need is your phone and reliable transportation,
Drawbacks to Scooter Charger
First and foremost, scooter charging is heavily seasonal.
You’re likely to have more work during the summer months than in winter.
You may run into long commutes or bad weather conditions.
Your earnings will depend on how much work you do.
If you’re unable to find enough available scooters in your area or don’t have enough chargers, then your income will suffer accordingly.
How Much You Can Make With Scooter Charging
How efficient you become with collecting, charging, and delivering scooters will affect your income.
Most companies pay about five dollars per scooter.
Other Jobs Relevant to Gig Jobs
Before you commit to a new source of income, take time to explore these three additional gig jobs.
You may find that one of them offers the perfect opportunity for monetizing your skills and talents!
- Miscellaneous Side Hustles: These side hustles involve anything from freelancing, tutoring, or blogging. Use these jobs to pay off bills or debt.
- Internet Gigs: An internet gig is a part-time job that you can do from the comfort of your own home. You might end up working as a freelance website designer or article writer.
- Real Online Jobs: These job types involve working for a company remotely or offering services through an online platform like Upwork. Other jobs include applying directly with the company doing the hiring.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the answers to two commonly asked questions about gig jobs.
How are gig workers paid?
Gig workers are paid per job or task they complete.
It is based on time spent, performance or milestones met.
Companies often offer incentives to help boost worker productivity and motivation.
How do I find quick gig work?
You can find the quickest gig work on gig economy platforms such as Fiverr, Freelancer, and TaskRabbit.
You can also look through job boards or reach out directly to companies that offer gig work.
Gig jobs can be a way to make extra money and gain new skills.
With gig work, you have the flexibility to choose the hours and tasks that best fit your interests, abilities, and lifestyle.
Before choosing any gig job, research the company or individual for whom you will work.
Doing so will help you find a gig job that avoids getting taken advantage of.
Select two or three of the above job types and start applying for the work.
Try more than one gig job so you can find the one or two that becomes your main source of income.