- Tipping Uber drivers is customary, similar to taxi drivers. It’s not mandatory, but it’s a standard practice in many countries.
- enerally, tip 15% to 30% of the fare. The standard is around 20%, but consider more for exceptional service or less for subpar experiences.
- Tipping shows appreciation for good service, supports fair income for drivers, contributes to vehicle maintenance, and incentivizes high-quality service.
- Use Uber’s in-app tipping feature for convenience or give cash tips directly to the driver, both methods ensure the driver receives 100% of the tip.
- Do You Tip Uber Drivers? Rideshare Tipping Etiquette
- How Much Do You Tip Uber Drivers?
- Why Should You Tip?
- Can You Not Tip Uber Drivers?
- How to Tip Uber Drivers [Step-By-Step]
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Thoughts
Yes, you should tip Uber drivers. Tipping is customary in many countries for service-oriented jobs, and Uber drivers fall into this category.
While it’s not mandatory, tipping is a standard practice across rideshare services, similar to how you would tip taxi drivers.
How Much Do You Tip Uber Drivers?
You should tip Uber drivers between 15% to 30% of the fare, depending on the quality of service.
The standard tip for good service is around 20% of the total ride cost, similar to tipping norms in other service industries. For example, a $10 ride would typically warrant a $2 tip, while a $40 ride could be accompanied by an $8 tip.
However, you may consider tipping more, perhaps up to 30%, for exceptional service. This could include situations where the driver assists with luggage, makes additional stops, or goes out of their way to ensure a comfortable and efficient ride.
Conversely, if the service is not up to par, a 15% tip is still customary to support the driver’s income, which often includes covering expenses like vehicle maintenance and self-employment taxes.
Remember, your tip is not just a reward for the driver’s service but also a contribution to their overall earnings and ability to continue providing rides.
This same judgment can be used to determine how much to tip a Lyft driver.
As a driver myself, I almost always tip 20% on each ride. For short rides, I tip at least $3-5, but on longer rides, $10 is my go-to amount.
Why Should You Tip?
There are several reasons as to why you should tip your driver. Here are some of the most important:
- Appreciation: It’s always nice to show your appreciation for your driver for their manners, promptness, and general high quality of service. Tipping them well is a great way to show your attitude!
- Fair income: Many drivers rely on tips on top of their wages in order to pull in a decent income. Tipping your drivers helps them to be fairly paid for their work
- Vehicle maintenance: Driving a vehicle all day long will cause some general wear and tear. Drivers use money from tips in order to maintain their vehicle and keep it in pristine condition for their customers
- Service incentive: Knowing that there may be a tip at the end of the ride can motivate drivers to give you the best service possible! Tipping is a great service incentive that can help to ensure you receive stellar service every time.
Can You Not Tip Uber Drivers?
Tipping on the Uber app is completely optional. Whether or not you choose to tip is entirely up to you!
However, if you have received great service and you are in a country such as the United States where tipping is a social norm, it is considered polite to tip your driver at the end of the ride.
If your driver has provided particularly bad service, feel free to not tip. However, if the service has been great and you have enjoyed your Uber experience, it is always a good idea to tip.
How to Tip Uber Drivers [Step-By-Step]
You might be wondering how to go about tipping your driver.
The following are the two best ways to give your driver a tip, and these methods apply no matter where you are in the world:
How to Tip Using the Uber App
Uber has included a handy in-app feature to help you tip your driver after your ride. The system is very simple and takes a few clicks on the screen.
Once you have completed your ride, the Uber app will show a popup asking you to rate your Uber driver. Once you have given them a rating out of five stars, you will be presented with the tipping screen.
There are pre-loaded amounts such as $2, $3, or $10 which you can tap on and which will be added to your total as a tip.
Alternatively, you can enter in a custom amount to tip your driver as you see fit.
Your driver will be notified that you tipped them, and will receive 100% of the tip!
Cash Tips: Can You Tip in Cash?
Yes, you can tip in cash when using Uber. While the Uber app provides the convenience of tipping through various digital payment methods like Venmo, PayPal, and Google Pay, cash tips are equally acceptable.
The process is simple: typically, riders hand the tip to the driver just before exiting the vehicle, following a practice common in traditional taxi services. However, I usually hand the driver some cash midway through the ride.
While not necessary, I have found this a great way to earn a 5-star rating, as well as set a pleasant tone for the ride. A tipped driver = a happy driver.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to tip when riding an Uber outside of the United States?
We recommend tipping your Uber driver in any country.
While Uber rates vary based on local demand, the median income for drivers is unlikely to vary much in relation to the city’s cost of living. Plus, drivers across the world still have to pay expenses to maintain their own vehicle.
Vehicle expenses aren’t covered by Uber.
Uber’s tipping feature should be available in the latest version of the Uber app regardless of country, but if it isn’t, we recommend having cash on hand to ensure you’re leaving a tip.
Will the amount I tip affect my star rating?
Your final tip amount shouldn’t affect your rating. While your driver may have an inkling of who has tipped them, Uber’s tipping policy allows riders to tip anytime in the next 30 days.
While we definitely don’t recommend skipping out on a tip, it’s unlikely that your driver will sacrifice the possibility of receiving a later tip with an impatient action against a stranger.
If I experience bad service while riding in an Uber, is it okay to withhold a tip?
Yes, if you experience bad service while riding in an Uber, it is okay to withhold a tip or tip less, such as 10%. However, consider if the poor service was directly the driver’s fault or due to issues with Uber or the app.
For serious concerns, like rudeness or an unclean vehicle, it’s advisable to report the issue to Uber under the “Your Trips” tab, as tips contribute significantly to a driver’s income.
Tipping your Uber driver is entirely up to you! However, it is a good idea to do so if you have received good service.
This shows your appreciation and also helps to increase their wages to ensure they receive fair pay. 100% of all tips go straight to the driver, so you don’t need to worry about your money going to Big Uber!
Tipping couldn’t be easier thanks to the in-app function and the option to pay cash. Next time you’ve had a great Uber ride, consider giving your driver a tip!