With over 80 million registered users and 200+ million items for sale, Poshmark has been on the rise for those looking to earn some extra money and has earned the trust of many gig workers.
But the question is: can you make money on Poshmark?
Whether you’re planning to leave your full-time job, an undergrad, or just looking for a good gig to make some extra cash, yes, you can totally make money on it.
If you want to know how to make money on Poshmark, what to sell and what not to, and how much money you can make, keep on reading this article!
- Is Poshmark a Good Side Hustle?
- Can You Make Money on Poshmark?
- How Much Do Poshmark Sellers Make?
- What Items Sell Best on Poshmark?
- What Should You Not Sell on Poshmark?
- How Many Listings Do You Need on Poshmark to Make Money?
- How Many Followers Do You Need on Poshmark to Make Money?
- Pros and Cons of Selling on Poshmark
- How to Make Money on Poshmark
- Wrapping Up
Is Poshmark a Good Side Hustle?
To determine whether Poshmark is a good side hustle, we must first discuss how this online marketplace works.
Poshmark easily allows sellers who are on a budget to start a business with no money.
After signing up, the process of selling your items is straightforward.
All you have to do is take high-quality photos of your items, list them in your “closet,” price them, and wait for the sale.
Additionally, the expenses to worry about aren’t too costly, as they only include the following:
- The cost of shipping supplies, including shipping boxes, garment bags, and packing tape.
- Trips to and back from the post office.
- Poshmark’s commission.
As for Poshmark’s commission, the platform takes a flat rate of $2.95 from your cut for any sales under $15.
However, the rate jumps to 20% for sales of $15 and higher.
So yes, Poshmark can be an excellent side hustle because selling on it is easy and won’t cost you much.
Also, you don’t need a business license to sell on this platform.
However, it’s important to note that making money on Poshmark isn’t a get-rich-quick scheme.
Like any other side hustle, it requires dedication, consistency, and a solid business plan to be successful.
Can You Make Money on Poshmark?
Sites like eBay and Poshmark allow you to sell items from thrift stores, garage sales, and even your own closet, and you’re free to put a high price on them.
Setting your profit margins right while offering competitive prices will surely make you some extra cash.
How Much Do Poshmark Sellers Make?
The amount of money you can make on Poshmark depends on many variables, including how many items you list and sell, your accumulated costs, and, ultimately, your total net profit.
Some sellers make a couple of hundred dollars a month, while others may make up to a couple of thousands if they put in enough effort and upscale their business.
How Much Does the Average Seller Make on Poshmark?
The average seller on Poshmark makes about $500 a month, but you can always increase your efforts and start flipping full-time if you want to make up to $5000 a month.
However, this number can fluctuate depending on how many listings you have, the number of sales, and the capability to scale up your business.
What Items Sell Best on Poshmark?
Certain items have more demand on Poshmark than others and that will change depending on the time of the year and current fashion trends.
You should always keep an eye on the market to know the in-demand items and adjust your closet accordingly.
Here are some of the most in-demand items on Poshmark:
- Nike shoes: Athletic shoes are always selling, and Nike is one of the most popular in-demand brands on the market. Whether they’re new or gently used, Nike shoes are most likely to sell quickly and for a good price.
- Lululemon outdoor gear: Another popular brand on Poshmark, especially for its high-quality hiking and outdoor clothing like leggings, sports bras, and jackets.
- Designer items: Designer clothing, shoes, and accessories from brands like Louis Vuitton, Chanel, and Kate Spade are lots of buyers’ favorite items and are always in high demand. These items often require top dollar and can be a lucrative niche for sellers who specialize in designer goods.
- Items made of expensive cloth: Cloth made from high-quality materials like cashmere, silk, and leather is also popular on Poshmark. These items are often expensive to buy at their original price, so buyers are willing to pay a premium for a secondhand item in excellent condition.
What Should You Not Sell on Poshmark?
While Poshmark offers a lot of flexibility in terms of items you can sell, there are some items that are strictly prohibited.
Knowing what not to sell can help you avoid any issues with your account and keep your experience smooth.
We’ll take a closer look at some of the items that you shouldn’t sell on Poshmark:
- Anything illegal: Avoid listing any illegal items that are banned by the law or violate someone else’s property rights, such as counterfeit products, dangerous items, food, and drugs.
- Medical products: Selling medical items like over-the-counter drugs, prescription drugs, and drug-related paraphernalia are also prohibited and may risk getting your account banned.
- Fakes: Avoid listing fake items or replicas items as it goes against Poshmark’s policies. Sellers found selling counterfeit items may get banned and could also face legal action.
- Airline costumes: Poshmark doesn’t allow the sale of current airline costumes and uniforms. The policy is in place to prevent anyone from impersonating airline staff or misrepresenting them in a way that could lead to legal consequences.
By avoiding these items, you can ensure that your account stays in good standing and avoid any legal issues.
Before listing any items, make sure to read Poshmark’s policies and guidelines.
How Many Listings Do You Need on Poshmark to Make Money?
While there’s no set number of listings that guarantees success, having a large inventory of items helps increase your chances of making sales.
The more listings you have, the more potential buyers you can appeal to.
Additionally, having a diverse range of items (especially high on demand ones) can attract a wider variety of customers.
And to increase your chances of selling, make sure your listings provide a well-written description, amazing photos, and excellent customer service.
How Many Followers Do You Need on Poshmark to Make Money?
Having a large number of followers can certainly help you sell more, as it means more exposure to your listings, but it’s not the only factor that determines your success.
Remember, you’re selling to all Posh users, not only your followers.
However, you can attract more followers by participating in Poshmark’s community events, such as Posh parties, where you can share your listings with a larger audience and engage with other sellers.
You can promote your Poshmark account through social media channels and other platforms to reach a wider audience, too.
That being said, there’s no set number of followers that you need to have to make money on Poshmark.
Some successful sellers have only a few hundred followers, while others are Posh Ambassadors.
Pros and Cons of Selling on Poshmark
As with any side hustle, selling on Poshmark comes with its own set of pros and cons.
What Are the Pros of Selling on Poshmark?
- Few overhead costs: One of the biggest advantages of selling on Poshmark is its low overhead costs. You don’t need to be paying much for the process of selling your item.
- There are no listing fees: Unlike other marketplaces, Poshmark doesn’t charge you any fees for listing your items, which contributes to lowering your overhead costs.
- Shipping is easy: Poshmark costs a flat rate of $7.97 for shipping as long as the package’s weight doesn’t exceed 5 lbs. The shipping fees are also paid for by the buyer.
What Are the Cons of Selling on Poshmark?
- High fees: Poshmark’s fees are a bit high regarding their commission. Poshmark takes 20% from your cut for items sold for more than $15 and a flat rate of $2.95 for items sold for less than $15. These high fees negatively affect your total net profit.
- Lots of competition: There’s a lot of competition among sellers, as Poshmark is a popular platform, so it may be difficult to stand out and attract buyers, especially in the more popular categories.
- Time commitment: Making good money on Poshmark requires a time commitment. You need to create listings, research the market, respond to your customers, and ship your items.
How to Make Money on Poshmark
If you’re looking to make some extra cash and turn to selling your old clothes on Poshmark into a full-time job, you need to think strategically and put effort into the details.
How to Make $1,000 a Month on Poshmark
To make $1,000 a month, you’ll need to first know how much you should be earning a day, how many items you’ll be selling, what price you’ll be selling them at, and how much they’ll cost you.
So, for $1000 a month, you’ll need to be making around $34 a day. ($1000/30 days) = $33.3
Following this formula, you’ll grab an idea about your sales plan:
Selling price - Poshmark fees - Shipping cost (applied when you offer a shipping discount) - Cost of item = Profit
As you become more of an active seller, you should be monitoring Poshmark’s algorithm, how it works, how your listings rank, and what’s high in demand.
Additionally, you’ll want to be responding to every comment you get and offer promotions strategically to boost your sales.
How to Make $5,000 a Month on Poshmark
Making $5000 a month on Poshmark requires a more intensive effort.
In addition to having a large inventory and providing excellent customer service, you’ll need to actively promote your listings, develop your own personal brand, potentially use paid advertising to reach new customers and promote your items on other marketplaces.
Building a strong network of repeat customers and offering high-end luxurious items can also help increase your earnings.
It may take some time to build up to this level of earnings, but with dedication, it’s possible to turn your gig on Poshmark into a lucrative digital wholesaling career.
Now that you have everything you need to know about selling clothes on Poshmark, it’s time to get thrifty!
Selling on Poshmark as a stable gig might be hard at first, and it’ll need some dedication and consistency.
However, it’s much easier and more budget-friendly than other side gigs.
If you have any more questions about the topic, make sure to leave us a comment below!